Education

More News | |

Columbia County schools again dip into reserves

The Columbia County school board gave final approval Tuesday to a budget that is more than $3 million short of expected expenditures.

Topic: Columbia County Schools
 - More coverage on this topic:

The budget for next school year projects about $165.1 million in revenues and about $168.6 million in expenditures.

Superintendent Charles Nagle said officials will dip into their reserve fund to make up the difference.

By retrieving about $3 million from reserves, officials expect to balance next fiscal year's budget. The board has already approved pulling $1.5 million from the reserve fund to balance the current budget.

The withdrawals drop the reserves to about $26 million.

Without making more cuts, school officials said they had to pull from reserves to compensate for a $6 million loss in state funding. Already the school system has eliminated 17 teaching positions, two counseling positions, cut middle school Spanish-language instruction, cut funding for instructional supplies by 10 percent, and included five furlough days in next year's school calendar.

Also, the board adopted a resolution increasing class sizes for next school year.

Earlier this year, the state Board of Education allowed local boards to waive class size limits to address budget constraints.

corgimom
corgimom 06/09/10 - 06:12 am
If they cut as much as they

If they cut as much as they could, then what happens next year?

ColCo
ColCo 06/09/10 - 06:41 am
I think this is the real

I think this is the real reason the board held up Margaret Mudrak's termination.

KaTM
KaTM 06/09/10 - 07:00 am
I absolutely agree ColCo and

I absolutely agree ColCo and I have to say as a graduate of Columbia County schools, I am disgraced and heartbroken and I can promise you if I am ever asked, I will not say that I was a graduate of their schools. I will never admit to that AGAIN!

bellanlilli
bellanlilli 06/09/10 - 08:01 am
Nagle said officials cut as

Nagle said officials cut as much as they could "without further jeopardizing classroom instruction." Oh really????? If you get rid of your most experienced teachers TO SAVE MONEY,, what happens to the level of education our children receive? OH PLEASE, this is disgusting. Mrs Mudrak was railroaded and these board members should be fired.

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/09/10 - 09:01 pm
Classroom instruction will be

Classroom instruction will be jeopardized when teachers are sitting in classrooms with 30 plus students. One of the things that impressed me the most when I first came to CC was class size. I was amazed that the county could do it. It made teaching so much more enjoyable and you felt like you could really teach the material because you had more time to give individual instruction if needed. More people are moving into CC everyday thinking they are going to be sending their children to top notch schools. This year I will feel as if I was back at RC with 30 plus kids in each class. Discipline which is already an issue will only get worse. Weak leadership is already passing the buck on to the teachers. Now with more students comes more discipline issues and more teachers will get frustrated having to teach and do major discipline at the same time. Gone are the days of "go to the office" because they will send them right back then the student in turn will look at you with the "watcha gonna do now smirk". Watch and see.

corgimom
corgimom 06/11/10 - 07:09 pm
Scooby, as always, you are

Scooby, as always, you are 100% correct.