Teacher protects girls; mom arrested

Hephzibah Elementary School first-grade teacher Kristi Davis wasn't about to sit back and watch as two of her school's pupils were driven away by people she didn't know.

Back | Next
Kristi Davis, a first-grade teacher at Hephzibah Elementary School, smiles today during a reception at the school. She helped stop a mother and grandmother from taking two pupils without authorization Thursday.  Zach Boyden-Holmes/ Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/ Staff

Davis jumped into a sport utility vehicle with the first- and third-grade girls, and refused to leave, hoping to stop it from driving away.

"I chose to get in the vehicle," said Davis, who teaches the younger of the girls. "Those are my children 180 days out of the year. I just did what I had to do. I just had to do my job."

The SUV took off anyway, nearly hitting a school counselor, but was stopped by authorities two miles away, on Windsor Spring Road.

The pupils' mother and grandmother, who was driving, were arrested. Officials said the mother wasn't on the school's approved list to take the children and had been told so earlier in the day, when she tried to check the girls out just before school was dismissed.

The mother was identified as Naydra N. Jenkins, 39, and the grandmother as Geraldine W. Myers, 58, said school safety Chief Patrick Clayton. Both were charged with interference with schools, a misdemeanor, and booked at the Richmond County Jail, the chief said.

Clayton said the girls' father lives in the Augusta area but the mother had been staying in Alaska. Authorities said their father hadn't included their mother on the schools' approved list for pick-ups.

Hephzibah Elementary Principal Frances Ellison said she didn't know the mother's reason for wanting to check the children out. She said after being denied, the mother waited until school ended and pulled the children into the SUV.

Ellison said that's when her school's workers, who didn't know who the mother was, went into action: Davis entered the vehicle, a counselor moved in front of the SUV, and a school nurse wrote the tag number on her hand. A parent ran to a nearby police station to alert authorities, and school workers called school safety with a description of the vehicle.

"My people worked very good today," Ellison said.

Lynne Pinson is the counselor who stepped in front of the SUV.

"I backed up three times," she said. "The last time, the car touched me, and I just got out of the way."

Pinson credits Davis for protecting the pupils.

"Kristi Davis is our hero," she said. "She entered that car because she refused to let go ... and that's the kind of teacher she is."

"I will say she went above and beyond," Clayton added.

Davis, who doesn't have children, said she considers her students family.

"I'm going to protect my children just like I would want somebody to protect mine when I have them," she said.

catfish20
catfish20 05/14/10 - 06:35 am
All of you who say Ms. Davis

All of you who say Ms. Davis should have just written the license plate down and called 911...You would be singing a different tune if the teacher did what you suggested but the mother changed vehicles down the road and stabbed the childen to death. It happens. Thank you Ms. Davis and the others for your actions. You are certainly heros and could have possibly saved the lives of two children.

mystery30815
mystery30815 05/14/10 - 06:41 am
Ms. Davis is a wonderful

Ms. Davis is a wonderful teacher and treats all of her students as if they are a member of her family. I don't doubt for one minute, that she would do this again if she had to, for any of her "babies". HES is an AWESOME school with some of the best most caring teachers I have ever seen.

isaidit
isaidit 05/14/10 - 07:53 am
I cannot believe the negative

I cannot believe the negative comments! Are you living a sheltered existance or just a coward??!! I guess it takes a spineless person to call courage and heroics stupid. Folk like this teacher are rare because it takes throwing caution to the wind and letting your instincts take over.......but the main emotion being overlooked here is the tremendous amount of LOVE this teacher must have for the kids in her care!! No planning or after thought, just pure reaction to a dangerous situation with zero regard for her own safety. I have'nt seen bravery like this in a long time. Which one of you nay sayers can honestly say you wouldn't want her as your child's teacher....or your nieghbor or co-worker??!! This lady deserves our admiration. You nay sayers need to take a "gut check" because you've obviously lost yours. This lady is a special breed.

WW1949
WW1949 05/14/10 - 07:13 am
Ms. Davis is a HERO and it

Ms. Davis is a HERO and it would be an honor to know her. God Bless her actions in helping to solve a potential problem.

isaidit
isaidit 05/14/10 - 07:17 am
Austin-great idea. Hopefully

Austin-great idea. Hopefully hizzoner is preparing the paperwork as we speak. A cash bonus might be in order as well. I dare to say, Ms Davis may have started something in Augusta through her selfless action. Not just in the school system, but city or county wide. I for one, am inspired by her courage and I know others have been affected by this act as well. I can't say enough about the hope this woman has injected into the city. I love her....really. Kudos to you Ms Davis.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/14/10 - 07:27 am
She did what she thought was

She did what she thought was the right thing, more people should be like her and I actually am surprised by some of the post. That's the problem today, no one wants to get involved....great job Ms. Davis.

Taylor B
Taylor B 05/14/10 - 07:51 am
What a great act of bravery.

What a great act of bravery. I wish more people would stand up when something like this happens.

citizensmh
citizensmh 05/14/10 - 07:56 am
God bless you Mrs Davis.

God bless you Mrs Davis. Please don't listen to some of the rude comments here, and continue to do the wonderful job that you do.

reader54
reader54 05/14/10 - 08:01 am
Sweetheart, YOU are MY hero!

Sweetheart, YOU are MY hero! I don't know what I would have done under the circumstances but I can only hope that I would have been as brave as you. And I'm a big guy with many scraps on my belt!!!!!!!!

paulsmom
paulsmom 05/14/10 - 08:13 am
Some here, who I vehemently

Some here, who I vehemently disagree with, are criticizing this teacher's actions. One view of the world is that there are three types of people: sheep, wolves and sheepdogs. When danger from wolves arises, the sheep run around going "BAH-BAH" while the sheepdog springs into action, on instinct, with little or no regard for its own safety.
Fortunately, this incident seems to be turning into a case of two women with a warped sense of self importance and really bad attitudes.
In any event, I wonder if Ms Davis prayed for courage that morning, as God certainly gave her an opportunity to find and display courage.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/14/10 - 08:23 am
Heroine - a woman admired and

Heroine - a woman admired and emulated for her achievements and qualities.

sojourner
sojourner 05/14/10 - 08:23 am
Glad to have people like Ms.

Glad to have people like Ms. Davis in this world. I can be a nitpicker about grammar, so the fact that a principal uses a phrase like ""My people worked very good today," catches my eye in this story as well...

classyfox
classyfox 05/14/10 - 08:34 am
It is so sad that we as

It is so sad that we as humans speak ill of each other. it doesn't matter what we do, someone always has something negative to say. We turn and we twist things, and we complain. The tongue is so deadly. No man can tame it. So we live according to the word of God. Whatsoever we do, we do it to the honor and glory of God. She did what was in her heart. There are times you must trust that silent voice inside you. According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumble bee cannot fly. I guess no one bothered to tell the bee. Keep flying my friends. God will take care of us.

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/14/10 - 08:34 am
Great job Ms. Davis..on

Great job Ms. Davis..on behalf of all parents and Grandparents who worry and care about their children !!

SeeYa
SeeYa 05/14/10 - 08:57 am
This young woman is a true

This young woman is a true John 15:13 person. "Greater love hath no man (Or woman) than this, that a man (Or woman) lay down his/her life for his/her friends."

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/14/10 - 09:14 am
leah2, there are some fine

leah2, there are some fine people in Augusta just like the one this article is about. Just because of a couple of negative comments doesn't mean you should lump all Augustans in the same boat. Thank you Ms. Davis!

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 05/14/10 - 09:22 am
Well done, Ms. Davis! The

Well done, Ms. Davis! The people on here who say she abandoned post and put other lives in danger are out of line. If you have kids by a swimming pool that you are protecting from the dangerous water, and one kid jumps in and starts to drown, would you let him drown just so you can protect the others from jumping in? NO! You would jump in and save him.

smartone
smartone 05/14/10 - 09:26 am
All of the people with the

All of the people with the negative comments are cowards. Think about the situation if it were your kids. The mother and grandmother of the kids should have waited until the father picked the kids up, and worked out some visitation arrangement at that time without doing what they wantedto do and creating problems such as this. Great job, Ms. Davis.

steveharden
steveharden 05/14/10 - 09:36 am
The classic definition of a

The classic definition of a hero: Someone who places the well being of others above thir own well being. Ms. Davis you are a hero, wether you'll admit to it or not. You followed your instincts and took action when many others would have stood and watched. I'm proud to call you my friend.

disssman
disssman 05/14/10 - 09:38 am
She proved the old saying

She proved the old saying "when times get tough, the tough get going". Obviously a dedicated teacher who knows her charges and the parents of those kids. We need more like her (I am sure there are many in that school because my Grandkids went there). In this day it is hard to find a dedicated teacher who gives it her of his all. She is an absolute 90 pound heroine.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/14/10 - 09:42 am
Kudo's to ALL who reacted to

Kudo's to ALL who reacted to this situation. They had the courage to do the right thing!

mable8
mable8 05/14/10 - 09:47 am
The teacher may have

The teacher may have exhibited a heroic act, but these children are not her "babies" even though she may have them in her classroom during a school year. Glad the children are safe.

psmith3164
psmith3164 05/14/10 - 09:53 am
given the insightful comments

given the insightful comments of "Agustavoter" & "Jillian" I'd be willing to be that had Ms. Davis "followed the proper protocol" and some very unfortunate event had happened with the students, they, "AugustaVoter" and "Jillian" would at the head of the line calling for all manner of investigations and terminations. Ms. Davis deserves better, as do all the school personnel involved. They should be honored by all for their quick and decisive action.

jwsaxon
jwsaxon 05/14/10 - 09:55 am
Ms. Davis IS a hero. Only a

Ms. Davis IS a hero. Only a moron would disagree. God bless her for going above and beyond to protect these children. As for the mother and grandmother, they need to pay for endangering the children and the BOE personnel involved.

cricketflea
cricketflea 05/14/10 - 09:56 am
I commend Ms. Davis HIGHLY

I commend Ms. Davis HIGHLY for risking life and limb to protect "her children"!!!!!! Any parent who has a child or grandchild should be extremely grateful that there is an educator who is willing to go to such lengths to protect the children in her care, whether it be during school hours or not!! Obviously she jumped into the vehicle with the children to PROTECT them!! There is no telling what could have happened without her actions! This was a combined effort of THREE that protected these children!!

corgimom
corgimom 05/14/10 - 10:19 am
Oh yeah, Mable, the kids are

Oh yeah, Mable, the kids are our babies.

They sure are.

We love them, care for them, nurture them, teach them, watch over them, teach them right from wrong, feed them, hold them, console them, laugh with them. I've bought shoes, coats, socks, underwear, clothing, food, school supplies, lunches, breakfasts, paid for field trips- you name it, I've bought it.

I clean up vomit, blood, spit, snot, feces, and urine on a daily basis- and more often than not, it's been deposited on me or my clothing.

For a lot of those kids, they get more parenting from us than from their own parents.

I know, when I hug those kids, that might be the only hug they get all day.

Yes, they are our babies.

mable8
mable8 05/14/10 - 10:26 am
Sorry corgimom, but being a

Sorry corgimom, but being a teacher does not make you the parent, period. While I may agree that some children do not receive affection at home, I also know that some teachers never show a shred of affection either as one can attest to the teacher who was just arrested for beating up an 11 year old. Fortunately, that event did not occur in our area; point being--some folks just aren't very decent.

psmith3164
psmith3164 05/14/10 - 11:01 am
mable, don't crap all over

mable, don't crap all over the subject of this news story because some other teacher at some other place was not "decent." instead you should be grateful that this group of teachers seem to be, and I believe proved themselves to be in the event, "decent."

coco rubio
coco rubio 05/14/10 - 11:04 am
that teacher deserves a

that teacher deserves a raise!!! Awesome.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/14/10 - 01:11 pm
I am sure that a lot of

I am sure that a lot of teachers do have true feelings for their students and some of the ugly comments on here speaks volumes for the type of nasty attitudes people truly have. We need more teachers like Ms. Davis and rather than see the good she did you have some that do nothing but complain. These same people probably walk through life with a negative attitiude everyday. Teachers may not be these children's parents but a lot of them are probably parents themselves, therefore I commend the good ones who do truely care.