Education

More News | |

Columbia County school board cuts positions, adds furlough days to save money

The Columbia County school board added furlough days and cut positions Wednesday to save money.

Superintendent Charles Nagle said he is expecting to lose about $6 million in state funding for next school year.

To recoup that, Nagle added five furlough days into next year's calender, which the board approved. By eliminating five days, the system will save about $3 million, he told board members.

Three of those days will be staff development days, while the remaining two are instruction days.

This school year, state officials withheld the funding for six school days, but Columbia County just took away three.

The new calendar includes a week off for Thanksgiving, which was introduced this school year.

Should tax revenue or state funding exceed expectations, furlough days can be eliminated from the calendar, Nagle said.

The board approved eliminating 25 positions, including 12 teaching positions.

The cuts will save about $1.3 million, Deputy Superintendent Sandra Carraway said.

Most of the cuts can be accommodated through attrition, but some teachers likely will be laid off.

At least five positions were in the middle-school Spanish program, which the board decided to phase out Wednesday.

"If you don't cut this, you've got to cut something else," Nagle told school trustees.

The program had been taught to seventh- and eighth-graders, who earned a Spanish I credit.

The program will continue for one more year, so the 455 seventh-graders enrolled in the course can finish the program next year.

The move will save the school system about $350,000 next year and $210,000 the following school year, when middle school Spanish will be gone for good.

csrareader
csrareader 04/29/10 - 02:20 pm
Scooby, you finally answered

Scooby, you finally answered my question. You CHOOSE to not take a vacation because you want to spend your money on other priorities. That's fine. That's what we all do. We CHOOSE to spend our money as we want. Just don't say you can't take a vacation because you can't afford one. If you need a job and want my suggestion, try the Georgia Department of Labor.

redapples
redapples 04/29/10 - 03:54 pm
The CCBOE calendar that I see

The CCBOE calendar that I see effective 4/28/2010 (subject to further changes) indicates school starts for student August 9th. This year we started August 10th. What's the issue?

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/29/10 - 05:09 pm
CSRA your so funny. As

CSRA your so funny. As previously stated I CHOOSE priorities OVER vacations. So that means I don't have spare money to go run to the beach for a week. I can put it on a credit card if that makes you feel better. Then I can pay even MORE for my vacation. I personally CHOOSE to go when I want to. Unlike you I don't feel the need to drill you about how you spend YOUR money but you sure seemed interested in my accounts. My original complaint with you that went way over your head was your WHINE about rearranging your vacation when there are people in this world who don't have the money nor ever will be able to go on a vacation. Your lack of understanding that the BOE's last worry on this earth is YOUR family vacation. I think paying their employees in these tough times along with educating the children in the county is little more important than you taking jr to the beach or on a weekend get away. Saying you got "dumped" on again for your plans was just plain selfish. Make your plans like everyone else - when school is OUT not in session. If you want your kid to be a few days be my guest because the apples usually doesn't fall to far from the trees around here.

troylus
troylus 04/29/10 - 05:47 pm
@csrareader: Ok, you win. If

@csrareader: Ok, you win. If you refuse to look at the facts, I have no reason to continue chatting. You stated parents were getting dumped on, when that was not and is not the case. You stated school was starting earlier when that was not and is not the case. You stated that the pension is a perk (i.e. something provided and funded solely by the employer with no contribution by the employee) when that was not and is not the case. You stated that teachers were whining about this and that when that was not and is not the case. You stated that GAE and PAGE were unions in a Right-to-Work state (unions, as you mistakenly allude to, have bargaining power and negotiate contracts) when that was not and is not the case.

I am glad that you finally admitted that this was a personal grudge with all the whining you hear. Your ad hominem was truly touching.

Now, go and attend a school board meeting (they actually allow you to speak at those) and get your voice heard about the calendar. If you can help school systems find ways to spend money the state isn't giving them, I am sure you will be handsomely compensated.

csrareader
csrareader 04/29/10 - 09:03 pm
Scooby, Scooby, Scooby... To

Scooby, Scooby, Scooby... To get back to my original point, vacations were made based on the calendar published by the CCBOE. Then they changed the calendar. They dumped on the parents, but no big deal. Families will deal with it. As for your point about time-tracking my posts, I'm at the tail end of a mediocre career. If I don't feel like going to work on any given day, I take the day off and entertain myself by harassing folks like you and Troylus. I spend much of my free time around educators as I volunteer in the local school system. As for out of pocket expenses, I've spent over $3500 this year in donations and gifts to the school system. No, I'm not jealous of your retirement plan. I wish you well. Just don't say that it's not a perk (that includes you too, Troylus). You get two dollars for every dollar you put in -- not a bad deal in today's economy. As for my retirement plan, it's simple. I'm spending my money now on vacations and plan on becoming a ward of the state when I run out of money. That way, I can live off the tax dollars of folks like you. I enjoyed the sparring today, and don't take it so personal.

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/30/10 - 05:14 am
CSRA,CSRA,CSRA - I am so glad

CSRA,CSRA,CSRA - I am so glad that you have so much free time on your hands and that you can just take off on a whim. Myself and many others work pretty hard so just taking a day off is usually not an option unless a lot of preparation is made ahead of time. I take it very personal when a person complains about their vacation over another person's livelihood. People in the education field as well as OTHER professions have based their entire way of living (homes, children's activity fees, vacations) by their incomes. This year they have seen a loss of not a few hundred but close to the $1000s. People are being layed off and losing their homes. So yes, I find it offensive that someone would care so little about the fact that people are losing their jobs (in the field of education it will mostly be young teachers just getting into the field) and losing part of their income. So enjoy your future days off as you come to a close on your mediocre career because the rest of us have to go to work at real jobs. Don't take it so personal.

csrareader
csrareader 04/30/10 - 06:31 am
ScoobyDoo... Everyone is

ScoobyDoo... Everyone is responsible for their own position in life. Your current situation is directly related to your prior actions and decisions. If you keep working hard, maybe you can get to the point where you too can enjoy taking time off from your daily routine, and even take the family on a well-deserved vacation. Until that time arrives, however, don't be jealous of those who have placed themselves and their families in a fairly financially-secure environment.

Talk to economists when you do get some spare time. You may learn that the Nation's economy has peaks and valleys, and it's up to all individuals to make plans to minimize the impact of the economic downturns.

In the words of Bubba Clinton, "I feel your pain." I'm sure that the genius currently occupying the White House will soon have the economy running like a swiss watch and ease your suffering.

When I do run out of money and start living off the taxpayers of the great state of Georgia, promise me that you'll come visit.

p.s. I'm not working again today...

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/30/10 - 02:05 pm
CSCLUELESS - I swear I think

CSCLUELESS - I swear I think Troylus had it right when he/she bowed out. You have to be the just plain clueless. I don't have money envy. I grew up with all my needs met plus some and I am far from in the poor house now too. I have a nice nest egg. As stated before I have priorities such as bills, day care, and unexpected expense funds that are more important. I also don't need any lectures about economic highs and lows I have been on the planet long enough to have experienced a few of them. I can't see how you took someone calling you out about being a callous a_____ (fill in the blank) about something as trivial as a vacation over a person's livelihood. Your remark reminded me of a spoiled little rich girl pouting because she had to rearrange her pooches hair appointment because the groomer got sick. I can find a solution to a not having much money but you can't find a cure for being an a______(once again fill in the blank). Hope you enjoyed your day off, Now that I am off I am going to enjoy my weekend and in about 3 weeks I will be enjoying my 2 months off too. I may even go on that well deserved vacation too :)!

csrareader
csrareader 04/30/10 - 04:30 pm
Thanks for the lecture

Thanks for the lecture ScoobyDoogie... it gave me something to ponder over the weekend but I probably won't lose any sleep. I did enjoy another day off, but I promise to go to work Monday -- at least for a few hours. I just can't guarantee a full day's labor. I sincerely hope you enjoy your weekend, and if possible, give my child an extra "A" next week if she's fortunate enough to have you preparing her for life's future challenges. You can just tell her... "this is for the wisdom that your Father passed along last week." She won't understand, but I will. If it's callous of me to enjoy my vacations when someone else is losing their job, I'm guilty. I've worked hard and long to enjoy my current position in life and doggone it --- I'm going to enjoy it. I haven't had any trouble getting my pup's hair done lately -- honestly, he wouldn't know how to react. However, I do hate those times just waiting around at the Vet for them to call us back for our turn. If you have any influence with the Doggie Doc, maybe you could put in a good word for me. I would appreciate it so much... and you know what --- I have a deal for you. If you can get me to the front of the line at the Vet's office. I'll be willing to contribute $2.25 (instead of whatever I'm giving now) for every dollar you give for your pending retirement. I believe we should all help those less fortunate. As for your pending summer weekend, please enjoy it. You seem a bit wound up and I just don't think it's advisable for you to come back to the classroom next fall in this condition. Maybe this is the year... maybe... maybe... maybe... this is the summer that you break that four-year streak of no vacations. If nothing else, rent a house in Beech Island and tell your out-of-town relatives that you went to the ocean. They won't know the difference.

buzzman1946
buzzman1946 07/05/12 - 11:00 am
sc hool budget

With all these cuts going on, Just asking,is it true,that the director of transportation got a $9000 raise? Is this true ? I also think that there are a lot of positions that are overpaid. Including the superintendent,and directors.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.