Education

More News | |

Glenn Hills High plans health offering

Program would offer accessible health clinics on site

School could become more than just a place to learn. Add getting a physical, mental health check and even dental work to the list.

In a couple of years at Glenn Hills High, officials say, a pilot program could allow such medical treatment by way of a school-based health clinic -- a first of its kind in Richmond County and one of just a few statewide.

"If students can get served in the school, they don't need to take a day off to go to the doctor for a checkup. ... The primary objective is to enhance accessibility," said Richmond County student services director Carol Rountree.

The goal is to expand such an offering to other schools in Richmond County and throughout the state, but first officials are looking to obtain a state grant for planning purposes through a collaboration with the Richmond County Board of Health and the Urban Health Program, Department of Pediatrics at Emory University.

The Richmond County school board recently agreed to allow the school system to apply for the maximum state grant available -- $15,000 -- to be used for a year's planning. The school system should know by July whether it has won the grant money, Rountree said.

After that, the system would again need to apply for a three-year grant to help fund operations for the clinic at Glenn Hills, to include Board of Health and other medical professionals who would serve as staff.

The local effort is part of a larger statewide Comprehensive School-Based Health Clinic Program. Its goals are to increase access to quality health care and improve the delivery of health services and the health of the state's children, according to the program's Web site.

Currently, officials say, there are just two school-based health clinics in Georgia, and the goal is to increase that number to 12 in the next five years.

Rountree said the Board of Health has already incorporated some services at Richmond County schools, offering flu shot clinics this year and in some cases conducting dental screenings.

"We already have a lot of collaboration going on," she said. "It (the latest effort) is just finding a way to expand on it and to bring some additional services to students and families."

corgimom
corgimom 04/27/10 - 07:03 am
This is a great idea. And for

This is a great idea. And for all of the Bible-thumpers that will immediately scream about they might prescribe contraceptives there- so be it. Worry about your own childrens' behavior.

We see so many health problems with kids, it would be great to know that at least some kids have good access to medical care.

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/27/10 - 10:02 am
I am all for the health care

I am all for the health care of children but just were do you think this money will come from - tax payers. I am personally tired of paying taxes, paying for insurance, and paying co-pays each time my own child goes to the doctor while someone else goes for FREE. When I chose to have children I made sure I could provide if you can't provide basic health care then why on earth should everyone else have to pick up the tab. I am sure some of you will complain that I am being callous but it gets old fast when you see program after program for the so called "needy" while I am living pay check to pay check. Proper nutrition and health care should be taught at HOME with parents providing healthy snacks and meals. Exercise should be promoted at home also.

patman
patman 04/27/10 - 09:13 am
You're right Scoob. We as

You're right Scoob. We as hard working taxpayers have done everything for those unwilling to work except wipe and powder their bottoms....but don't think that's not coming. Good grief, the teachers can't even teach in the dangerous, disrespectful environment of those schools. A little more chaos should really mees things up! If they're not responsible enough to go to the doctor (as I have to be) let them do without!

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/27/10 - 09:46 am
Corgimom, this comes from a

Corgimom, this comes from a Bible-Thumper - if the girl doesn't have enough respect for herself and the guy can't keep his pants up, then by all means give them the contraceptives to keep from having children they can't take care of. I would prefer that teens wait until they are married but in today's society, that isn't going to happen and I'd rather they be protected. This idea seems like a good idea on the surface but what happens when a child is given the wrong medicine or something goes wrong with a dental procedure. Will the school or the state be sued? What happens to the medical and dental availability when the school is not in session during the summer months. Where will the families go then for their health care? Will we as tax payers be taxed some more to pay for the utilities to keep schools open year round so these medical and dental facilities can stay open?

Chillen
Chillen 04/27/10 - 11:55 am
I thought the Richmond County

I thought the Richmond County and the State of Georgia school systems were just about broke!?! The illogical thinking of government on all levels is astounding.

Plus, they don't need the clinic. Obamacare will take care of everything.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 04/27/10 - 01:37 pm
since this clinic is going to

since this clinic is going to be placed in glenn hills..why glenn hills?!?!? darned if i know they should think about adding triage unit so when the gangs start shooting they begain treatment there before being transferred to the hospital

KatieLou
KatieLou 04/27/10 - 03:42 pm
Is parental permission going

Is parental permission going to be a prerequisite for providing medical care to a minor at the school clinic?

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 04/27/10 - 04:10 pm
I'm not sure I understand.

I'm not sure I understand. Will this be a clinic that happens to be located at a school or will it be school-run?

corgimom
corgimom 04/27/10 - 07:38 pm
ICL- "Will the school or the

ICL- "Will the school or the state be sued?" Yes. Just like they are now, when school secretaries give the wrong medicine or a child has a reaction, or an accident. Because schools get sued all the time. Is that something that you think never happens?

Who do you want giving your child medicine- a licensed, trained medical person or a school secretary?

Do you think that no medicine is given now to children? What planet do you live on? Do you think that children with chronic health problems don't go to school?

"Where will the families go then for their health care?" To the ER, where do you think? Or to a dentist that Medicaid pays for. You are so misinformed. Poor children in our schools have terrible teeth, the waiting lists at dental offices are literally months long. You have no idea. Try teaching a child who is literally crying in pain with abscessed teeth, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done for them. I've experienced that.

ICL, I don't know where you live or what you do, but you need to go into a low-income school and volunteer for a while. It will open your eyes considerably. Get out of your comfort zone and see what life is really like for those kids.

By the way, you mention families- this is for CHILDREN. Don't you get that?

Or would you prefer that children go to school with sick children that never get treatment? Would you prefer that a child should just go to school sick- which greatly impacts their ability to learn?

As for the poster that asked about parental permission- the state laws will apply. All the things that parents need to give permission for, will apply. All the things that don't, won't.

Before everyone goes berserk about contraceptives, I would also like to point out to people that birth-control pills are routinely prescribed to girls with menstrual problems. It is a very effective and common way to treat girls with severe cramps and endometriosis, among other things.

It will also allow teenagers to be tested and treated for the epidemic levels of STD's that now exist in this country, and will allow pregnant teens to receive the prenatal care that they need. And let me tell you, it is RAMPANT. If you don't want your child to have premarital sex, that is your choice- but the norm in this country is now that 95% of 19 year olds have had premarital sex.

Do you know what the norm was in 1940? 95%. It has not changed in 70 years.

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/27/10 - 09:19 pm
This all goes back to

This all goes back to responsibility. If you chose to have a child take care of it regardless of whether you are poor or rich. Children are not being taught at HOME to eat a proper diet, brush their teeth, or remove themselves from the couch long enough to go outside. Until parents learn to be parents then no free clinic in the world is going to make that much of a difference. It is a never ending cycle. I don't mind children getting proper health care but when I am struggling month to month to pay for my OWN child then I have a problem with all the government assistance. Enough is enough. Would my son be offered this treatment? No because his mommy makes too much money and lives in a middle class neighborhood zoned for a middle class school. If these programs are not offered to ALL citizens then I say why bother having it for just a few. Isn't that discrimination? My child will be discriminated against because his mommy works? There are months when I have barely enough money to get gas in my car to make it work after paying all the increased bills and prices at the stores. Being a working class citizen in American in this day and time is not what it use to be.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/28/10 - 10:45 am
Dang Corgimom, who licked the

Dang Corgimom, who licked the red off your candy? Such a snotty reply. Don't understand why you lashed out at me when everyone else is asking the same question. All I did was ask a few questions concerning responsiblity if something should go wrong. As for me getting out of my comfort zone, you know nothing about me so don't even go there. You have no idea where I live and if I have volunteered at a school in a low income area. You have no idea where I have served or mentored. Who made you the know-it-all of the AC and every topic that is discussed here? I never suggested the clinic wasn't a good idea, only that there were some issues that needed to be looked at. You stated "By the way, you mention families- this is for CHILDREN. Don't you get that?" I think you need to go back and read the article so YOU CAN GET IT. The article says "At Glenn Hills, Rountree said, the clinic would operate during school hours but also might be available in the evening for parents and others who live in the Glenn Hills community." To me this means the parents. If it was just the kids, they would be treated at school and there would be no need to be open in the evenings for parents. It's not JUST for the children. As for secretaries handing out medicine. I don't know where you live but at my son's high school they can't even give him an aspirin so I don't have to worry about them giving him the wrong medicine. If he's sick, he stays home. If another parent is irresponsible and sends their child to school, I can't control that but he's been taught how to try and avoid contact with contagious students. Doesn't always work but that's life isn't it.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/28/10 - 10:40 pm
ICL, good response! Corgimom,

ICL, good response! Corgimom, has really lost it. I wonder if her and Baron are married or something? LOL

$1 million settlement reached in North Augusta police shooting

A $1 million settlement has been reached with the North Augusta police and officials in Edgefield County in the case of a 68-year-old black man shot to death by a police officer after a slow-speed ...