Education

More News | |

School ban on 'saggy pants' passes first vote

Get ready to pull up those pants.

Richmond County school board members gave initial approval Tuesday night to a policy banning "saggy pants" from after-school events such as football games.

The measure, approved unanimously in a board committee meeting, must now receive the full board's approval at its Nov. 17 meeting.

The policy states that all pants, including jeans, must be fitted at the waist and not be baggy or oversized or exposing underwear. The rule would be enforced by school officials, administrators, teachers and other school employees on duty.

"Provocative clothing and baggy pants that do not fit properly are prohibited," the policy states.

Public notices would be posted, and anyone not complying wouldn't be allowed in.

Before voting, some board members had questions -- one centering on the policy's use the words "baggy pants."

"The baggy pants doesn't bother me so much as showing their underwear," board member Barbara Pulliam said. "I got a problem with people showing their underwear. That's the part I was most concerned about."

Board vice president Alex Howard agreed. He also asked that the policy for now focus only on students entering school-sponsored events, saying that addressing all spectators would be too much to start off with.

Other board members, though, said it would be difficult to determine who was a student and who might be from another school district, and the idea didn't move forward. The policy also was approved with the reference to baggy pants.

Board member Helen Minchew said she was concerned about how the policy would be enforced and that it should bar those who dress provocatively.

"That's just as bad. You're not showing underwear. You're showing skin," she said.

Board attorney Pete Fletcher quickly noted the proposed policy has a stipulation against provocative clothing.

The policy came about after Mr. Howard said he had noticed students wearing pants low enough to show their underwear at some football games.

In other action, the board heard an update from student services director Carol Rountree on single-gender classes.

Dr. Rountree said officials had examined single-gender class test data from Murphey, Hephzibah and Langford middle schools comparing the past two years.

She said that though CRCT math and English scores had increased in single-gender classes at those schools, report card grades in the same subjects decreased. She told the board at least three years of data would be needed to determine a trend and that there should be more research.

The board also heard from school system athletic director George Bailey about an idea to survey middle schools about their interest in starting a soccer program and what the cost would be. He said a survey of middle school principals is in the works.

Reach Preston Sparks at (706) 828-3851 or preston.sparks@augustachronicle.com.

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 11/11/09 - 06:27 am
Where does it stop, I feel

Where does it stop, I feel that tatoos should be banned also.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 11/11/09 - 06:49 am
It's about time schools took

It's about time schools took back being in charge!

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 11/11/09 - 08:35 am
lets see...poor test scores

lets see...poor test scores the a great idea would to what???? LETS START ANOTHER SPORTS PROGRAM....this shows exactly where the school board's priorities are!!!! in an era of budeget deficit, shrinking revenue base and some schools lacking sufficient supplies or textbooks the board is considering another SPORTS program and ms. cain and the rest of the board how about starting programs geared towards teaching the students how to read, write and add!!!!! because judging by graduation rates and the numbe of students who did not pass the CRCT (approx 1500 or so-but must were socially promoted anyway) you would think the emphasis would be on academics..but this is richmond county and the main goal of the school board is to teach student to count to 4.....hut 1...hut 2...hut 3...hut 4

Anna2008
Anna2008 11/11/09 - 09:26 am
Obviously the priorities have

Obviously the priorities have been mixed up for years from RCBOE. I am a parent of two students in RC. and believe me I buy the pans for my son, I pay so I choose the size and the style. I do not allow saggy pans in my house and I do appreciate it when the schools are helping me to do my job as a parent. Administrations in school do not do their job and do not send the students home when they are dressed innapropriately because they try to keep the attendance rate high and they donot want their school to look bad down at the board. This is why we are where we are. Schools are trying to cover up and make themselves look good when it comes to dress code and suspension, scores and the rest. Can somebody tell me what is the purpose of INHOUSE suspension? Well, if your child is not behaving enough to be in the classroom why should be allowed to be in school? Why should the teachers/administrators babysit your little darling? If your child is not fit to be in school with the other children needs to go home and you as a parent need to find a way to get it back in school. Parents and school officials should work together. That is why we are where we are because we pamper the kids.

Anna2008
Anna2008 11/11/09 - 09:31 am
We do pamper the kids and we

We do pamper the kids and we try to avoid doing our jobs as parents. Schools should not be responsible about the child's attendance the parent should. If you do not know how to raise a child or you donot have the money to do it ask for help. But first make sure you care about the child and you are willing to sacrifice a lot to raise it. I do not see why are we asking the city/county/government to do our job. Parenting has gone down in the drain lately. For the past few years I have met parents who are always blaming the system/teachers/RC and all about their children's poor behavior or grades. Well, stop blaming everybody and do your job. BE A PARENT, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OVER YOUR KIDS UPBRINGING.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 11/11/09 - 09:56 am
I agree..... parents need to

I agree..... parents need to be held accountable for their children...

class1
class1 11/11/09 - 01:43 pm
RC can't enforce shirts out

RC can't enforce shirts out policy because there are no consequences, so how in the world do they expect to enforce this policy when students are showing their underwear during the school day.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 11/11/09 - 05:29 pm
anna, in-house suspension

anna, in-house suspension serves a very good purpose for the school board(-i am sure ms. cain can help explain) it's called MONEY, COLD-HARD CASH, MOOLA, JACK, DOLLA BILLS. with out a certain attendance level the school system loses state/federal education funds that the school board spends like drunken sailors, with no regard for the education process. so if they send the students home and they don't return then they run the risk of losing funding, so by assigning them to in-school suspension they are still counted as being in school, thusly the school board still maintains the necessary attendance levels by which to continue to receive the cheese from the state/federal gov't. its a racket pure and simple...for all those who disagree then explain to me why athletic venues are being built for high schools that consistantly fail to meet ayp, poor test score or the 6th highest percentage of black males dropping out in the entire country-regrdless of the size of the school district.

lowellbrown
lowellbrown 11/11/09 - 08:35 pm
Remember when teenage boys

Remember when teenage boys showed their butts by rolling up a pack of Lucky Strikes in a t-shirt sleeve?

tinytuna
tinytuna 11/11/09 - 11:41 pm
lifelongresident, you hit the

lifelongresident, you hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly what ISS is for. Attendance is counted as an AYP factor, too. So, they don't want the students to be absent. Wait....they already figured how to juggle those numbers.

anotherday
anotherday 11/12/09 - 01:51 am
I love the high strappy heel

I love the high strappy heel stiletto's I see paired with skin tight jeans at AR Johnson. What message is that sending? I have now seen it 3 times I have visited to help out at school. I know I would have NEVER been let out of the door like that and I also know the policy book has a closed-toe shoe rule.

smartie
smartie 11/12/09 - 02:50 am
anotherday? were these girls,

anotherday? were these girls, or boys you're speaking of at ar johnson? because, i accidentally rode through this neighborhood the other day, and i gotta tell you, i saw some pretty funny looking people around there.

Justthefacts please
Justthefacts please 11/12/09 - 08:24 am

Thank God my grandchildren attend private schools which have dress codes. They also are able to learn. These people who walk around with baggy pants reflect not only their mentality but the fact that they are the refuse, or garbage, of society. Who in their right mind would hire them? That's why they turn to crime and end up in jail. So don't blame others for their lack of civility and good manners. Hooray for private schools!

headshaker
headshaker 11/12/09 - 09:06 am
As military, we've been

As military, we've been posted in several areas. My favorite was upstate New York. School uniforms for public school-a hard to get into magnet. It was every parents dream come true. Rules were straight out. Polo or turleneck shirts on top-color determined by grade level. Khaki slacks, walking bermudas or skirts,both no shorter than 2" above the knee. Everything tucked in and belted. No sneakers-black and white saddle shoes. Even gym had white tee and black basketball shorts, girls had granny speedos for swim.We had to shop twice a year at most, no daily arguments about the outfits. And. believe it or not, those kids managed to express their individualism amazingly well. We should consider uniforms-they really aren't that bad-even my teen daughter has fond memories-as does my wallet.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 11/12/09 - 11:10 am
Wow such anger from some

Wow such anger from some posters. Parents should and can determine how their offspring dress - saggy pants do not signal the end of the civilized world although they are certainly not the most fashionable either. I know of a young man who was arrested for public indecency because the police decided he was mooning a crowd of people - that arrest, if it had stood, would have disallowed the young man from joining the army - he has just returned from a tour of Iraq helping to secure YOUR freedoms. As a matter of fact, the pictures of the alledged mooning were shown to the judge and the case was immediately dismissed - there had been on mooning at all, just another case of sagging pants gone south with boxers coming into view. I'm all for school administrators being in charge on school grounds but to me that means being able to discipline students for REAL problems which they cause and which administrator will be designated as the sagging police? What about the females who pour themselves into their clothes and yet are offended if a testosterone young male looks their way? This is clearly a "Footloose" type of reaction to a current social fad and would be indefensible in court.

corgimom
corgimom 11/12/09 - 08:22 pm
Remember when people had

Remember when people had modesty and it was accepted by all that nobody wanted to see your underwear?