Education

More News | |

Richmond Co. schools' i-Parent site draws few

A low number of Richmond County parents are registered for an online student monitoring program called i-Parent, and that has school officials concerned.

"The participation in i-Parent is nowhere near the participation level we would like to see," said school system spokesman Louis Svehla. "Currently, I believe that it is somewhere around 20 percent participation. There has been a constant move by school officials to make the information available to all parents or guardians on how to register for i-Parent and the benefits it will have for them and their students."

The school system has more than 32,000 pupils, yet just 4,553 i-Parent accounts have been set up. The figure is far below the 11,000 households set up with i-Parent in Columbia County, a system with 23,000 students.

Mr. Svehla said some parents might feel registering for i-Parent is complicated or time-consuming.

"The fact is, it is very easy to register," he said. "All a parent or guardian needs to do is go to the school and ask to receive the password and log-in information for their student. Once this is obtained, the student's information can be obtained by logging in to the Web site from any computer that has Internet access."

Mr. Svehla said even parents deployed overseas or in other states can use the program to check on their child's progress.

"It is a wonderful opportunity for them to have discussions with their students when they see that they may be having trouble in a particular subject and be able to address that earlier as opposed to waiting for progress reports or report cards," he said.

In Columbia County, 9,400 of the 11,000 households set up with i-Parent accounts are active, meaning they've been used at least once in the past 60 days, said school system technology director James Van Meter.

Of the active accounts, Mr. Van Meter estimates 70 percent to 80 percent use the program daily or weekly. However, school officials were unsure how many pupils are tracked using i-Parent.

"It's one account per family," Mr. Van Meter said. "We have 23,000 students, but if you have a family of three (school-age children), it would only be one account that shows all three."

The school system initiated i-Parent as a pilot program in 2005 and offered it systemwide the following year.

"They (parents) all love it," student information support specialist Angie Deming said. "Nobody ever says they hate it."

The Aiken County school system doesn't have i-Parent. Officials are pursuing the PowerSchool program, which eventually should give parents the capability to track grades and absences. Individual Aiken County schools, mostly those on the high school level, use a program called Moodle that allows parents to check on class assignments.

Reach Preston Sparks at (706) 828-3851 or preston.sparks@augustachronicle.com.

GETTING STARTED WITH I-PARENT

RICHMOND COUNTY: Parents or guardians must register for access and will receive an access code through their child's school. After parents have been given a user name and password, they can check their child's grades, attendance and class schedule at https://iparent. richmond.k12.ga.us/iparent/ For more information, contact your child's school. For technical support, contact the i-Parent help desk at iparent@boe.richmond.k12.ga.us

COLUMBIA COUNTY: Parents must contact their child's school to obtain a user name and password, then visit www.ccboe.net/iparent.html for further instructions.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 11/09/09 - 02:30 am
The i-Parent is a great idea.

The i-Parent is a great idea. Is it really that confusing why Columbia County has much greater participation than Richmond County? Can we say values? The subsidized citizen has a different set of values than the responsible citizen. Parenting seems to fall into this category.

Georgialina
Georgialina 11/09/09 - 05:28 am
WhipingPost-It is because the

WhipingPost-It is because the Columbia County parents understand how to use it!! JUST KIDDING!!! Just a joke everyone.
It no doubt has to do with, as you put it. the "subsidized" citizen and their set of values. The "entitled" families do not put enough effort into following up on the progress of their "precious ones"
Bet you this months rent that if they tied i-parent usage with the free breakfast program in Richmond County, the county would not have enough bandwidth to keep their servers up and running. It would be cyber gridlock.

HotFoot
HotFoot 11/09/09 - 06:55 am
As a parent in a Richmond Co.

As a parent in a Richmond Co. school with very high I-Parent usage (Davidson) let me tell you why we DON'T use it, though we're set up for it. I don't like the message it sends, that parents don't trust their children. Maybe lots of kids AREN'T trustworthy, but we are involved and engaged, and we know when our child has a test, follow up to ask about the grade, etc., etc. BTW, the kids call it "Spy-Parent" and "I-Snitch" and it, like any tool, can be used to a negative, as well as a positive, end. WP, I see you continue to think in generalizations. Sure, there are "subsidized" citizens, to use your term, but RC contains multitudes, even as CC does. And some of those "subsidized" citizens do just fine raising their kids.

HotFoot
HotFoot 11/09/09 - 07:01 am
I also wonder why you, wWP.

I also wonder why you, wWP. ho are always preaching self-sufficiency, think that constant monitoring is the way to inculcate self-reliance and the ability to take responsibility for one's learning and success.

momstaxi
momstaxi 11/09/09 - 07:05 am
Did you ever think that

Did you ever think that parents don't use the site because it is hardly ever updated and that it has nothing to do with where they live. I check on my children with it but the teachers never update the site. So what good does it do to have it. Maybe the teachers should take some pride in their work and use the site so that the parents would use the site.

WhippingPost
WhippingPost 11/09/09 - 07:22 am
moms, that makes sense.

moms, that makes sense. Certainly more sense that " my child might have their feelings hurt if they knew I looked at it". So, HotFoot, just how old were your children before you stopped checking on their actions?

catfish201
catfish201 11/09/09 - 07:25 am
I am a parent of a Richmond

I am a parent of a Richmond County High School student and I love I-Parent. HotFoot,your child must have something to hide if he/she considers it spying. I think it an extremely valuable communication tool. There is absolutley nothing complicated about it use.

lady_alessandra
lady_alessandra 11/09/09 - 07:54 am
I live in Richmond County and

I live in Richmond County and I love I-Parent. It's not complicated. Yes my kids call it spy-parent, but who cares. I follow their grades and catch things early before they become a problem.

scoobynews
scoobynews 11/09/09 - 08:00 am
I find many parents do not

I find many parents do not fully understand Iparent. It clearly states on the site that this is not an accurate representation of your child's grade. If you have weighted grades such as test, quizzes, projects, classwork, etc. and your child is only in the first week of the new nine weeks then a 100 (lets say it is a classwork grade) is NOT your child's average by the time the nine weeks ends. Most units only have about 2 test per nine weeks. The majority of the grades come from quizzes and classwork. The notes we can leave are also useless. If I put "your child had TWO weeks to study for this quiz" you are still called and asked if they can make it up. Let's not forget conferences were parents are saying my child never has homework yet turn around and pull out an Iparent printout that clearly states HOMEWORK - 0. I can see the benefits but there are a lot of headaches too. To momstaxi: Let's see you grade 125 plus papers in ONE day and TEACH all 125 of them. Give me a break. Many of us work our butts off while the kids often don't. Stop being so judgemental and if your a stay at home mommy why not go help out at your child's school I am sure they would love it!

momstaxi
momstaxi 11/09/09 - 08:11 am
i have graded papers and have

i have graded papers and have a dregree in early childhood education thank you so much ,, i do go to my childrens school and i do help in their classrooms now that i have a little one again.., and i am only judgemental to the teachers that dont do their jobs and dont return phone calls from parent and dont want parents involved.. so i guess your rant was for nothing unless you are one to the teachers that get their feathers ruffled when a parent questions them.. so scoobynews dont think that i am just a stuipd stay at home mom that has nothing better to do with my time ,,, thank you and have a good day at school

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 11/09/09 - 08:15 am
Moms Taxi to bad your

Moms Taxi to bad your "degree" was not in spelling

HotFoot
HotFoot 11/09/09 - 08:20 am
Catfish, my child is an

Catfish, my child is an honors student and has never been otherwise (she's a sophomore now). FUrthermore, she has never been in trouble ONCE at school. At Davidson, they tell parents immediately, so trust me, she has nothing to hide. And it's not SHE who calls it Spy-Parent, it's the kids whose parents use it to check their every grade. WP, leave it to you to totally distort my post. Please don't use quotes unless you're actually quoting my post, it's misleading. My kid's feelings wouldn't be hurt, it's just that we made a conscious decision not to use I-Parent because it doesn't inculcate self-reliance and suggests that we don't believe what she says. Perhaps we're more fortunate than most families, I don't know. However, there are good kids and ours is one of them.

PantherPride
PantherPride 11/09/09 - 08:20 am
I think it is obvious why RC

I think it is obvious why RC schools do so poorly...uninvolved parents. Schools don't make children into good students, parents do.

smec29
smec29 11/09/09 - 08:22 am
that would be too not to.

that would be too not to. check yourself before correcting others....

Martinez
Martinez 11/09/09 - 08:25 am
The fact that a parent is

The fact that a parent is afraid of offending their child by spying explains half the battle with parents today. Be your child's parent, not friend or equal. Your child's activities are your business, whether it be grades, internet activity, cell phone usage etc. When they become adults and put a roof over their own head - then they can have their privacy.

HotFoot
HotFoot 11/09/09 - 08:29 am
Once again, you're distorting

Once again, you're distorting what I'm saying. WE ARE NOT AFRAID OF HURTING OUR CHILD'S FEELINGS OR OF OFFENDING HER. There IS another way, though, and it involves TRUST and involvement. I'm saying that our child's grades, activities, cell phone usage, et al. are already transparent to us without using I-Parent. I know some of you have to find fault, but that's just the way it is. I'm sure there are other responsible parents out there who have thought about it and chosen not to use it, not because they're lazy or worried about what their kids say, but because it doesn't send a message they want to send and it's unnecessary because they already are on top of things. Sheesh.

bettyboop
bettyboop 11/09/09 - 08:56 am
lol hotfoot ..you have stuck

lol hotfoot ..you have stuck that smoking appendage too far down your throat to pull it back out now......lol

Martinez
Martinez 11/09/09 - 08:58 am
Both my child and I have the

Both my child and I have the login for iParent - he can check it himself whenever he wants and so can I. I am very involved and I do trust my kid - I don't always trust the teachers. We have identified mistakes by the teacher in iParent many times. We have identified missing assignments that we knew were turned in. It's a great tool with many benefits, whether to help the child stay on top of things or to hold the school accountable. At the end of the day, the RC numbers are shameful and I doubt it is because every parent has the "I trust my kid so I am not going to login" attitude.

marcyak
marcyak 11/09/09 - 08:59 am
I use iParent in Richmond

I use iParent in Richmond County. But it does no good to look at it because the teacher NEVER update it.

hsfootballfan
hsfootballfan 11/09/09 - 09:17 am
i love the i-parent system.

i love the i-parent system. it keeps you informed of your childs tardys, absents as well as progress in grades. you need to inform the principal if the teacher is not updating.

WMartin
WMartin 11/09/09 - 09:52 am
Did anyone really think that

Did anyone really think that Richmond County parents were going to get involved in their kids' education? 2 problems: 1) Most don't really care - they see education as just another responsibility of big government, and 2) Most didn't pay attention when they went through and could never be a resource to help their own kids with even the most elementary of homework.

oh man
oh man 11/09/09 - 10:06 am
hotfoot when you get your

hotfoot when you get your kids started using iparent as well as yourself it helps them. They know where they stand in a class there is no surprises when the semester is over and god forbid the years are over and they are just short of getting the hope scholarship. Your attitudet toward iparent and how you use it depends on how the kids take it. Iparent is not about spying iparent is about helping your student not hurting your student. You become a team; not punishment; you help your student figure out what they need to meet their goals. It really is a win win for the student;

sportygirl
sportygirl 11/09/09 - 10:13 am
It's a good idea but the

It's a good idea but the teachers dont update it like they should if at all. Or they put a 0 for an assignment that has been turned in but not graded yet. So how do you know which zero's are accurate? Don't put anything in until its graded.

HotFoot
HotFoot 11/09/09 - 10:16 am
oh man, I'm sure that is

oh man, I'm sure that is right for some, but it's not the way our family does things. All I wanted to say is that as long as parents and kids are involved and engaged, you don't need i-Parent. I don't think of i-Parent as "spying", I only mentioned what my daughter's friends call it (I thought it was funny and the humorless posters didn't seem to get that....). I'm not slamming it, just saying that it's wrong to assume parents are not involved in their children's lives if they don't use it to track their kids' progress. After all, my parents didn't have it and managed to get all three of their kids through college and into the workforce. I sometimes think that the AC is fond of stories that slam RC...and I bet ACES consists of CC residents who send their kids to private schools.

soldout
soldout 11/09/09 - 10:29 am
Another system designed to

Another system designed to help make up for lack of character and trust. Fix the root problem and the system is not needed. As God is made smaller in this country the number of laws and systems are increased to try to keep order. It is like taking more asprin to try to fix a brain tumor. The curse without a casue does not come so there is always a source of a problem. Society doesn't ever act badly because we need more laws just like disease is never caused by a shortage of drugs in the body.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/09/09 - 10:43 am
Another poorly-subscribed

Another poorly-subscribed "benefit" for parents of school-age children that is costing the taxpayers an arm and a leg. No wonder Dana Bedden is coveting the savings of senior citizens. He wants to set up more "programs" but the ones he has are not being used.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/09/09 - 10:44 am
I wonder if Louis Svehla is

I wonder if Louis Svehla is man enough to tell us what i-parent costs each year?

anotherday
anotherday 11/09/09 - 11:01 am
I have a child that goes to

I have a child that goes to AR Johnson and do use I-Parent all the time as my child is a 7th grader new to the school. I am an involved parent and I use it as another tool to hepl my son be sucessful. Is it the best out there? No, but it is better than nothing and I would bet many of you naysayers do not even have children in school. My child is a 12 year old boy who, God Bless him can't remember to brush his teeth half the time but is smarter than the average. I-Parent is merely a tool. BTW, my son and I talk about his grade each day after we check them- do you?

misterme
misterme 11/09/09 - 11:12 am
All of my children went to

All of my children went to public school in Richmond County and are productive citizens. My last child graduated high school in the '90s. Back then I used the "I Parent" system, their mother or "I" ensured that they were on the right track in school. Values are not a Columbia County "thang" only. For you people who feel that God is taken out of the school is the problem, when "God"as in the schools (so you say), people were denied the basic rights ( as to life without fear of loosing it) based on their color. Where were the "Values" in America then.

HotFoot
HotFoot 11/09/09 - 11:15 am
I hear you, anotherday. It

I hear you, anotherday. It certainly may make sense for the families of younger students who haven't developed study habits and gotten into the swing of middle school yet. I hope it's clear that I was NOT slamming i-Parent (and I doubt that it costs much at all to administer once the startup costs have been covered). I just didn't like 1) the implication that CC parents are necessarily more engaged in their children's lives than RC parents, and 2) the notion that i-Parent is a necessity to be involved in your kid's education. Our child is a sophomore and has had the opportunity to develop an understanding of academic cause and effect (i.e., I don't turn my paper in, I get a zero, my average falls, my ranking falls, my Hope Scholarship is jeopardized, etc.).