Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Thieves take trailer filled with lawn equipment

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 5:33 PM
Last updated 7:49 PM

An Augusta man lost more than $7,000 in lawn equipment after someone stole his trailer late Friday or early Saturday, a police report shows.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

About 10 a.m. Saturday, Rich­mond County sheriff’s deputies were called to the 2000 block of Hiram Road, where Steven Watson, 36, said someone unhooked his trailer from his vehicle and pushed it out of his yard, the report says.

The trailer, valued at $3,200, was loaded with a Husqvarna riding lawn mower, a backpack leaf blower, two weed eaters and a Honda self-propelled push mower, among other items. The total value of the swiped equipment was estimated to be $10,990.

Watson told deputies he thinks someone attached the trailer to another vehicle before leaving. The gate leading to his backyard was closed but not secured at the time.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/31/14 - 06:13 pm
Theft of equipment

Here is a law abiding honest man trying to make a living and some scum comes along and steals his livelyhood. I hope that the LEC will be able to catch the thief (they have been doing a real good job lately) and get all the equipment returned to this man. And I truly feel for the victim and have high hopes that he has good insurance.

corgimom
corgimom 08/31/14 - 08:00 pm
I do believe that if I had

I do believe that if I had $7,000 worth of equipment in my back yard, there would be a lock on the gate.

I don't have anything worth stealing in my back yard- and my gates are always locked.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/31/14 - 08:08 pm
Sometime around 6 or 7pm, saw

Sometime around 6 or 7pm, saw a remarkably long for a residential street, enclosed white trailer being pulled behind a nice white truck heading east on Glenn Hills Drive, Augusta, GA between the bridge over Bobby Jones and Vernon Drive, the type that might be used for carrying a musician's equipment/instruments for instance. I'm guessing the article above is talking about one of those open cage-like trailers generally used in yard work, but since there is no description of the trailer, I decided not to assume it and noted what I saw here. How about a description of the trailer?

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 08/31/14 - 08:56 pm
It sickens me to read how

It sickens me to read how brazen thieves are. I won't blame the victim, his property was in his yard. I fully blame the thieves.

A few years back we had unknown persons (it had to be more than one person) cut the lock on our garage and steal two dirt bikes that were probably less than 3 months old, gifts from me to my husband and son, that I had saved bonus money to buy them. My husband was diligent in keeping them in a locked garage and also chained them inside the garage to a cemented metal pipe... but you can't stop bolt cutters. In a matter of minutes, some unscrupulous thieves took them, I felt like I should have just burned the $11,000.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/31/14 - 09:25 pm
Locked or unlocked gate

if someone dares to walk onto private property with ill intent, he takes his life into his own hands. Somebody may just be waiting - - these days I would certainly give that a thought before deciding to enter a party's private domain. And I know that a lot of people reading this are well prepared and waiting for the right occasion. More power to them!

flipa1
flipa1 08/31/14 - 11:05 pm
A lot of folks blame the

A lot of folks blame the victim. Then they lock themselves up while the bad boys roam. The thief doesn't even get mentioned. We've got to get the bad boys off the street before they're in your yard. When you see the bad boys doing bad things get their picture or tag number and call the POLICE, Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS, or TEXT to 803-441-8744. Where you remain anonymous and un-violated.

redfish
redfish 09/01/14 - 08:11 am
better idea flipa...

When you see the "bad boys" committing a crime, shoot and kill them. The police will come and do a report, that is all. If, by chance, the bad boys are caught, the judges will let them go and they will go back to crime. If they are shot and killed, the problem is solved.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/01/14 - 08:16 am
Securing my trailer

I can't understand why a person with $7000++ worth of equipment felt an unlocked gate in ARC was enough?

Living in Gwinnett Co., in another life where there are 1000's of illegals running unlicensed Landscaping businesses. My normally empty trailer was kept locked and behind my vehicle. I also ran a 20 ft security cable thru the wheels rims and the trailer railing and locked it.

If you are going leave $7,000 outside at least nail it to the ground.

fatboyhog
2000
fatboyhog 09/01/14 - 10:58 am
Killing a thief

The law is clear on this. You can raise Cain with me, you can dislike the post, but the law is the law. You cannot shoot a thief for merely stealing property. If you are going to discharge a firearm, make sure that you understand the law. A jury may or may not indict, but before you make a decision to shoot, make sure you understand the potential ramifications.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/01/14 - 08:30 am
Trailer type

You can make a safe assumption that it was enclosed. $3200 is the tip.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/01/14 - 08:33 am
That was my understanding too

That was my understanding too fatboy. You can't protect property with deadly force. Technically, if you confronted someone stealing your lawnmower; if he turns his back and walks away, you can't stop him; technically that is.

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/01/14 - 08:32 am
and what if they are not bad

and what if they are not bad boys redfish. They could have been given permission from the owner to be on the property. Don't be too fast with the gun. You could be the one in jail for killing someone. Call the police department first, take pictures of the car or truck and let them investigate. Nothing is worth killing someone over or going to jail for a long time.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/14 - 08:33 am
Low down thief

I think JRC had the same thing happen to him in his yard....his equipment was on a trailer at his home.

Sad, that you can't keep your equipment in your yard without nailing it down...sad..

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/14 - 08:35 am
Soo

If I shoot someone breaking in my car, they will come after me??

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/01/14 - 08:51 am
seenit, I did and my home

seenit, I did and my home insurance was uprated for 5 years. No one would let me change companies without an substantial increase even though the theft was not my fault so save any claim for much larger amounts because you will pay back the insurance company with increased premiums.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/14 - 09:13 am
Insurance goes up

Just doesn't seem fair, does it...I'm sick to death of crime..:(

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/01/14 - 09:30 am
Shooting

I would go as far as saying that if I woke up and heard someone rummaging around in my house, I would not confront them. Too much opportunity for ME to get shot. I would grab my weapon, get down behind the bed, call 911, and wait. If the burglar sticks his head through the bedroom door, he's DONE. Otherwise, the rest is just "stuff" that is insured and can be replaced. The deductibles and possible increase in premiums aren't worth the risk of me getting killed in a confrontation.

Home invasion is another story.....If I catch them coming through the door it is on like Donkey Kong.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/01/14 - 09:35 am
Yes, seenit; you could be, if

Yes, seenit; you could be, if not likely, be charged. Or worse for us pet lovers; if someone grabbed your pooch out of the yard or car; you can't (legally) use deadly force to stop them. They could just wave the middle finger at you and keep walking.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/01/14 - 09:48 am
Sorry IAD

I am bad about some things...just go ahead & lock me up.

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/01/14 - 11:05 am
IAD is right! Don't shoot in defense of property.

Shoot when you feel you or someone else is about to be injured with great bodily harm.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 09/01/14 - 12:38 pm
Low lifes

You know the thieves aint going to use this equipment to start a lawn care business of their own and cut grass.

No siree. That would be hard work. This stuff will be sold to a pawn shop and the proceeds will go to some drug pusher.

d1zmljqg
d1zmljqg 09/02/14 - 08:06 am
I had similar losses

corgimom: “and my gates are always locked.” Sorry, but this will not stop them. I had a heavy duty chain and lock on my relatively new $2300 storage shed; the thieves used a bolt cutter to gain entry to take my riding and push lawn mowers, a 20 ‘ extension ladder, loading ramps, 5 gallon steel gas can, battery charger and tire pump - all of which was personally used for the upkeep and maintenance of my property.

jdsgirl63 “Being a victim of a burglary is an awful feeling, it violates your peace of mind.” I’ve had a hard time with this emotionally.

My goods were probably “fenced off” for a few bucks to feed their “meth” habit without absolutely no concern for my loss and emotions.

CameronRobertson
CameronRobertson 09/24/14 - 12:55 am
Why would people

Why would people want a whole bunch of lawn equipment that's in storage? I get that some equipment can be expensive but unless they're thinking of starting up a landscaping business, it seems like some theives don't make a habit of proper research before they go looting things…

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...