Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police say no Augusta purge

Friday, Aug 22, 2014 12:43 PM
Last updated 6:57 PM

Local police said there appears to be no truth to a scheduled night of crime that has been trending across social media.

For weeks, fliers announcing a purge in large cities across the country have been appearing across social media sites. The purge is based on a movie, The Purge 2, that allows for 12 hours in which all crime is legal.

So far the rumor of a night of lawlessness has spread from Jacksonville, Fla., to Louisville and from Ohio to Delaware. Rumors are already circulating that Augusta could be next.

Sgt. Glen Rahn, of the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office, said there doesn’t appear to be a threat. None of the rumors in any of the other cities has resulted in any unusual crime trends.

“They’ve all been hoaxes,” Rahn said.

The sheriff’s intel department already had looked into the issue after rumors began circulating in other cities, but the team has not discovered any truth to an actual purge.

“We’ll monitor the situation, but as of now, it appears to be hoax,” Rahn said.

raul
raul 08/22/14 - 01:40 pm
If that happened, the first

If that happened, the first one squished by a MRAP would end that little purge.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/22/14 - 01:40 pm
Seen the news...

...on Ferguson, MO, lately?

corgimom
corgimom 08/22/14 - 01:57 pm
Arm the RCSO, give them riot

Arm the RCSO, give them riot gear, and give them a "shoot to kill" order, too, if it's real.

We are SICK of having thugs and criminals rule things!

And I believe that yes, there are enough stupid people in the CSRA that would think it's real and try it- like all of the no-good criminals that live in RC.

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/22/14 - 10:03 pm
Corgi, Augusta is not the

Corgi, Augusta is not the only area with no good criminals. Charlotte has them also. But I do agree with you that all areas of the country are sick and tired of these types and in my opinion not a one would be missed if killed except by their family who would think they are top shelf. HaHa

geecheeriverman
geecheeriverman 08/23/14 - 04:38 am
Race Riots

Race riots are coming. Don't know when, but they are not that far away. The black people feel entitled to what ever it is they want. The leaders of the communities and the politicians know this is going to happen and they are scared to address it. Brush it aside if you want, but the blacks will start trouble soon.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/23/14 - 07:00 am
Purge Hunting season has been cancel..☺☻☺☻

Darn, I was hoping to bag me 6' 250 pounder and mount it on a pole in the driveway for everyone to see. I heard it attracts others ☺☻

IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Just how many did not get the message that it was a hoax,
and plan to mimic the movie?

hoptoad
hoptoad 08/23/14 - 07:22 am
It seems that in some cities

It seems that in some cities there's a purge quite often - Chicago, Detroit, LA.....

All LE should be armed and ready in case some idiots do think this is real. This could be called "thinning the herd."

hoptoad
hoptoad 08/23/14 - 07:27 am
Race riots would be

Race riots would be inevitable if Sharpton and his ilk had their way. These last 6 years have shown more racial divide than the previous 50 years. It's too bad many black persons cannot see they are being goaded into this race-baited frenzy.

blues550
blues550 08/23/14 - 09:47 am
The Russian In Me

The Russian in me sees all of this as a plot for marshall law to be declared.

blues550
blues550 08/23/14 - 09:47 am
The Russian In Me

The Russian in me sees all of this as a plot for marshall law to be declared.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 08/23/14 - 03:32 pm
It is real.

The purge is real all right has been for years. Obama and Holder have been letting criminals out of jail and not jailing others for years now. If, you are part of the party, you can deal drugs or rob and steal at will.

jimmymac
jimmymac 08/24/14 - 11:28 am
PURGE

Minorities in this country should tread lightly if they're planning a purge like event. Many majorities are sick and tired of the lawlessness that's become all too prevalent in this country. Be careful for what you wish!

rebellious
rebellious 08/24/14 - 08:44 pm
Law Enforcement armed?

Time for the citizenry to become armed. I have seen way too many (one was enough) of elderly and women being savagely slugged into unconsciousness for their car/wallet/pocketbook etc... And this group beatdown I have seen perpetrated on the innocent outrages me.

I stay armed, whether in an automobile, house or yard.

If confronted by a group of wilding thugs, my approach is to grab one by the neck in a headlock, then wail on him like there is no tomorrow, through the kicks, through the slugs of the other savages. If I have to bite an ear off, rip out a tongue, gouge out eyes, the one perp will be there when the police arrive, damaged if not dead.

That's one man's approach to this madness.

jimmymac
jimmymac 08/25/14 - 09:13 am
REBELLIOUS

I agree with your approach but I hope you never have to. It's sad when you have to carry walking your dog now days.

hoptoad
hoptoad 08/26/14 - 05:48 pm
Wow, I'll remember to stay

Wow, I'll remember to stay out of your way, Rebellious. However, I would vigorously defend myself if confronted by a thug also.