Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

North Augusta woman charged with disorderly conduct

A North Augusta woman is facing charges of disorderly conduct after telling children to stop squeezing bread on Monday.

The children’s mother told North Augusta police she overheard Danielle Christine Wolf, 22, of Seymour Drive, using profanity and telling her children repeatedly to stop “squishing the bread” at Kroger, 1284 Knox Ave., according to a police report.

Wolf admitted to police she made the comments.

She was handcuffed, booked and issued a citation of disorderly conduct. Wolf was later released on a courtesy summons.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/12/14 - 12:00 pm
I guess mama would have

I guess mama would have really been upset if she had rightfully popped the kids on the bottom and then slapped the pee out of mama when she said something about it. The woman got arrested either way so she might as well go for the gusto.

Hey lady.....you think we want to buy bread your ill-behaved little heathens have mangled? Get a grip and bust some bottoms.

jesslgrdn
jesslgrdn 08/12/14 - 12:04 pm
I WISH

that they would start arresting people who blast profane music so loud that my child can hear in explicit details about some rappers sexual exploits at a gas station! But I have the feeling the police wouldn't take things like that seriously... it would be, well are they still at the scene? do you want to meet with an officer? SMH

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/12/14 - 12:09 pm
Not knocking the arrest. It

Not knocking the arrest. It sure would have helped the atmosphere in our neighborhood if they could have arrested everyone spewing verbal, foul, sexist, racist and obscene abuse around us all the time. I had not ever heard that much trash coming out of people's mouths anywhere before or since.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/12/14 - 04:09 pm
I am dead serious and not joking around

We need a Nationwide if not at least a community wide ban on Mo Fo and suitable fine.

It it getting to be so common a person has to wonder if people ever take the time to analysis the incestuous meaning of the word.

Especially when I hear it used as a greeting between 2 men, I seriously have to wonder if the pair talking are way too close to their mothers.

myfather15
myfather15 08/12/14 - 05:36 pm
jess

Do you have any idea how many citations we write for loud music? Too many to count!!

Here's the other issue about writing loud music tickets where someone calls it in and we don't personally hear it. We are discouraged from making these cases, because it requires the testimony of the complainant and any witnesses who heard the music.

Court can be several months after the citation is issued and possibly 2 years with enough continuations and delays (Lawyers are brilliant at finding reasons for continuing the case). Lawyers actually know that complainants/victims and witnesses get frustrated by all the different court dates, and use this to their advantage. They will get cases continued and continued, hoping key witnesses or complainants don't show up at the next hearing. By the time the case in heard in court; the anger of the complainant has receded and they don't want to be tied up in court all day, so they don't show up. The case is then dropped with numerous hours spent by the district attorney preparing for the prosecution. (Yes, even on traffic tickets)

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/13/14 - 09:57 am
Potty mouth

You want to stop kids from behaving badly?
Good for you. I agree they should not be squishing bread.
But do not curse at them.
They will copy you and think it is okay to talk like that.
You can't expect them to be impressed by your good advice and mend their ways if you talk to them like that.
============
"Mr. Whipple, please leave the Charmin and proceed to the bread section. Mr. Whipple to the bread section, please."

burninater
burninater 08/12/14 - 08:36 pm
Obscenity is in the mind of

Obscenity is in the mind of the beholder, and arresting people simply for using a specific word is inconsistent with a free society.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/12/14 - 09:48 pm
Continuance

Myfather's post is most informative. That continuance tactic is why State Representative Ben Harbin did not have to serve the time for his DUI arrest.

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 08/12/14 - 11:47 pm
What The?

This story seems odd.

A mother used profanity? Jeez from what I've seen in public, profanity is the least that should be used.

Personally I've never had to use such, because my rug-rats know better.

But, BUT, I've seen so many that have no control over their offspring.

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 08/12/14 - 11:49 pm
deestafford
deestafford 08/13/14 - 07:27 am
Burn, the attitude you exhibited..

Burn, the attitude you exhibited in your post of "If it sounds good to me, say it." is what has contributed to the degradation of civility in today's society. It is all part of the culture of it being "all about me and what I want and what I do".

That has given us the culture where women or no longer special and ladies but are allowed to have the alley-cat morals just as a man. No longer is the woman looked upon as the civilizing influence of society.

Nothing good has come of that 60's attitude and the world is worse of for it.

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 08/13/14 - 08:48 am
dee stafford

Excellent post!

Not trying speak for Burn, but I imagine he'd respond with "How do you define civility? I define it differently."

Just to reiterate the point you made, the continuous downward standards of what civility currently means is a perfect illustration of sickness in our society.

Sickness, illness? How is cancer classified? That progressives support (whether consciously or not) that cancer is no doubt.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/13/14 - 09:58 am
Burninator

So you have no problem if I loudly call you a "mother[verb]" in public?

Angela H
Angela H 08/13/14 - 09:59 am
For once I pretty much agree

For once I pretty much agree with Burn. Can someone please provide me with a list of words that are illegal to say in public, so I can know if I'm violating the law in advance?

Angela H
Angela H 08/13/14 - 09:59 am
Dixieman....I would be

Dixieman....I would be offended if you did that, but I support your Constitutional right to do it. I don't have a right to NOT be offended.

Angela H
Angela H 08/13/14 - 10:01 am
And the grammar police in me

And the grammar police in me can't help but point out that it should be "mother [noun]" not [verb].

:-)

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/13/14 - 10:28 am
HA

I had to look that one up hahaha

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 08/13/14 - 10:32 am
I don't think there needs to

I don't think there needs to be a list of "unacceptable" words to say in public. I think those words are pretty clear, for the most part if you can't say them at your mothers Sunday dinner table, don't say them in public.

I don't think she should have been arrested, that's beyond ridiculous... the mother of the children apparently heard what she said, so she most likely knew her kids were "squishing" the bread. She should have told them to stop, if they didn't, she needed to pop them on the butt. Better yet, why not keep your children in check while you're shopping? Or would that have been too inconvenient for the mother?

If it had been me, I wouldn't holler for a cop, I'd tell the woman what I've told countless others in public "do not speak like that in front of me (or my children, my mother, etc...) it's disrespectful to others and doesn't show much for your breeding... or whatever seems fitting at the time. Profane language is not necessary, period.

Angela H
Angela H 08/13/14 - 10:51 am
" I think those words are

" I think those words are pretty clear, for the most part if you can't say them at your mothers Sunday dinner table, don't say them in public."

That makes for a VERY subjective law. What is acceptable for some is NOT acceptable for many. For instance, I get offended at the number of men who do not remove their hat when they sit down to eat, yet they see it as totally acceptable. That hat would get slapped off of your head when I was growing up. Written, enforceable laws should not be that subjective, especially when it comes to simply uttering certain words.

burninater
burninater 08/13/14 - 10:56 am
Dee, there's not much that

Dee, there's not much that says "its all about me and what I want and what I do" more strongly than the demand that someone be arrested because you personally don't like the words coming from their mouth.

Angela H
Angela H 08/13/14 - 11:01 am
2 questions. Do we have a

2 questions.

Do we have a Constitutionally protected freedom of speech?

Are we Constitutionally protected from being offended?

I know that you can't yell "fire" in a theater, but keep in mind that "offensive" speech does not put the public in harms way, so apples to oranges.

historylover
historylover 08/13/14 - 11:36 am
Apples to oranges

Hmm. I guess unless it's posted on these pages? Just keeps one mind working doesn't it?

myfather15
myfather15 08/13/14 - 11:42 am
(a) A person commits the

(a) A person commits the offense of disorderly conduct when such person commits any of the following:

(3) Without provocation, uses to or of another person in such other person's presence, opprobrious or abusive words which by their very utterance tend to incite to an immediate breach of the peace, that is to say, words which as a matter of common knowledge and under ordinary circumstances will, when used to or of another person in such other person's presence, naturally tend to provoke violent resentment, that is, words commonly called "fighting words"; or

(4) Without provocation, uses obscene and vulgar or profane language in the presence of or by telephone to a person under the age of 14 years which threatens an immediate breach of the peace.

I think the key word there is "common" knowledge. I also believe the vast majority of people would agree that there more harsh words, (mother******, GD, SOB) than others such as (hell, damn, etc.) Also, the it's the context of how the words are used!! Are you directly calling someone a vulgar name in public or just using the word in their presence; but not meant towards them directly.

I think most people would also agree that using such words towards OR in the presence of children, is unacceptable!! If we want a civil society, people need to understand certain words are very harsh to the common public.

With Burninators and HA's feeling on this, there is NO word that should be commonly accepted as a breach; as it's up to that individual whether it's offensive, but with that thought, it would have to include the N-word or other "offensive" words towards minorities. Because the reality is, they are ALL just words. People could grow thick skin and stop being offended at words only; sticks and stones?

But with that, I believe civil people do need to understand the most of society does think certain words are offensive and shouldn't be used in public or towards others; because the reality is that some words DO tend to cause a breach of the peace and inflame a situation.

Angela H
Angela H 08/13/14 - 11:45 am
Posted on these pages.....no.

Posted on these pages.....no. Written in the law....yes. Protected by the Constitution..........most certainly.

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 08/13/14 - 11:49 am

A locality has the right to fine a person for using profanity in public. And to jail any who refuses to cease and desist.

Example: I'm standing in line with my grandchildren to purchase tickets to the latest Disney movie. A couple of not-quite-made-it-there-on-the-evolutionary-tree types comes walking along yelling " I'm gonna verb you up mother-noun, or "I'd liketa verb that pretty lil'..." - you get the point. That "person" needs to be reminded with penalty that he/she is walking around in the presence of civilized human-beings. That type of behavior might be appropriate in Oakland, Atlanta, or Detroit, but here in the non urbanized areas of red country, we don't have to put up with walking-talking garbage.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/13/14 - 12:12 pm
Angela H

I am a lawyer and love the Constitution. I agree with you 100% that freedom of speech is an absolute value and very important. So, yes, people are free to say dumb and offensive things. I don't want to censor them.
That does not mean they SHOULD do them.
I agree I have no legal right to go through life and not be offended.
But I also have a legal right to tell people their behavior is offensive, in poor taste, dumb, etc. and express my opinion. If they don't listen to me (happens all the time), I shrug and move on. So I am not advocating censorship, just civility.
You are right that the second part of the word is a noun rather than a verb - thanks!

Angela H
Angela H 08/13/14 - 12:14 pm
I agree. Liberty above all.

I agree. Liberty above all.

sabere6
sabere6 08/13/14 - 12:43 pm
Charmin

I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if it had been Charmin instead of bread.

burninater
burninater 08/13/14 - 12:59 pm
Myfather, according to your

Myfather, according to your citation of the law, many uses of the "n" word, or any other racial or ethnic slur, in public and around strangers should be an arrestable offense.

Those who support disorderly conduct arrests for specific words: what are your thoughts on that?

grinder48
2038
grinder48 08/13/14 - 01:44 pm
AC Words

How about if you can't say any words that would cause the AC to pull your post? Seriously, forget the law, how about a little common sense, consideration for others, and civility?

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.