Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

McCormick County Sheriff's Office continues investigation into attack on cyclist in woods

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:03 PM
Last updated 10:09 PM

The McCormick County Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate the reported attack on a bicyclist during the weekend but has yet to find much evidence, a spokesman said Tuesday.

Bianca Cain Johnson
Staff Writer
E-mail | 706-823-3486

Chief Deputy C.E. Gable Jr. said his officers and the forestry department have searched the area around the wooded hiking trail several times, looking for vehicle tracks and other evidence, but have found only one spent shell casing. They are not sure it is connected to Saturday’s incident.

The cyclist, whose personal information was redacted from an incident report, told deputies he was riding alone before 9:30 p.m. when he was knocked from his bike by a rope strung between two trees. When he came to, he said, one of three white men in camouflage were trying to remove his pants to sexually assault him.

The victim escaped after elbowing one of the men in the face, but they fired a shot at him as he ran away. He told police he returned fire with a Glock he keeps for protection.

The sheriff’s office has been unable to find any witnesses who saw anyone or any vehicles in the area that evening.

A report of the incident spread through social media during the weekend after someone identifying herself as the bicyclist’s wife wrote details of the attack near Stevens Creek on a Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association community bulletin board online. The posting described the attack as taking place a half-mile from the parking lot at the trailhead.

She referred to the assailants as “hunters” and said they told her husband the woods “were for hunters only, but that he was going to learn tonight.”

Gable said the statement is odd because hunting season is not open.

According to the report, deputies did not enter the woods after responding to the attack because it was too dark and the sheriff’s office did not have the manpower or resources to track into the woods. Only two deputies were working that evening with no supervisor on duty.

When the bicyclist requested that deputies call for dogs and a helicopter, Gable said, the deputies knew it was not a possibility. The McCormick County Sheriff’s Office does not have a K-9 tracking team of its own and has to rely on outside agencies or the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.

“The officers at the time didn’t know to call wildlife (management) to see if they could come and assist with a four-wheeler,” Gable said.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/29/14 - 11:25 am
And the saga continues. The

And the saga continues. The police must have been skeptical. Did he leave his bicycle there when he ran away, did the police find it, if they found his bicycle did it have evidence of being damaged when it fell out from under him, did the would-be hunters allow him time to pull up his pants before they decided to shoot at him, what did they say or do to make him think they were going to sexually assault him? Lots of questions.

Do gay men wear camouflage? I suppose they could, but . . . . . . .

whyme
whyme 07/29/14 - 12:00 pm
keep it real

Can we keep these sorts of discussions a little more classy and just stick to the facts presented? Attempts at humor and speculative remarks are not only tacky but they encourage others to run wild with even more unnecessary comments. All we need to know is that there was a report of an assault, which should lead us to be aware of our surroundings and make choices accordingly. Anything more should be shared by family to those who need to know all of the details.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/29/14 - 12:00 pm
Did they not notice that he

Did they not notice that he had a Glock while they were trying to pull his pants down. They MUST have been aroused. None of this sounds quite right.

Time1
Time1 07/29/14 - 12:39 pm
Dichotomy Your right none of

Dichotomy
Your right none of this sounds right---I think law enforcement has the same feeling.

flipa1
flipa1 07/29/14 - 12:42 pm
Ditto dichotomy... "None of

Ditto dichotomy...
"None of this sounds quite right."

AFjoe
AFjoe 07/29/14 - 12:49 pm
Used equipment

If the RCSD can get $400,000 boats and other vehicles, surely the McCormick SD can do the paperwork to get a least one K-9. Must be a grant or something. May need to kick-start someone to do the paperwork.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/29/14 - 02:39 pm
K-9

A canine unit is very expensive to maintain year in and year out. McCormick County does not have enough crime to justify one.

Pops
Pops 07/29/14 - 07:31 pm
Just close the book on this

no harm.......no foul.........

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/29/14 - 04:30 pm
Glock?

As I said, I carry a very small and light .380 at times, but it is typically in my Camelback pack. (biking clothing doesn't allow for much on the body)I'm not sure that in an ambush situation like this is purported to be that I could retrieve it in time to defend myself.

If I read the original account correctly, he left all of his gear at the alleged site and returned for it the next morning...

Dunno, this just gets stranger and stranger.

OBTW, the wife was not a regular forum member on the SORBA site; having not made any posts before that one, if I understand posting stats correctly.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 07/29/14 - 07:05 pm
Did he hear....

Banjo music?

dwb619
dwb619 07/29/14 - 07:34 pm
BS

I am calling BS on this.
Even if the incident were true, which I highly doubt, I believe I would have left out the part about the pants.

just an opinion
just an opinion 07/29/14 - 08:14 pm
An officer should have driven up the road THAT NIGHT.

It was too dark? Ya'll have headlights on your cars right? Hi-beams? Spot light? Were you just skeeered?

whyme
whyme 07/29/14 - 10:21 pm
not surprised...

...at the level of functioning of those posting on here. Seems like no one follows the AC's policy brief, where it says "robust but respectful conversation". Instead, everyone wants to outdo each other in the joke department or see who can come up with the most outlandish theories. And because I want to support that respectful conversation, I'm the one getting the thumbs down. Whatever.

historylover
historylover 07/30/14 - 12:34 am
Whyme

Don't worry about the thumbs down - I get them constantly. I personally could care less what others think about my opinion unless they start calling me names or imply I am lying. Keep posting what you perceive as the truth. It can never lead you down the wrong path!

This is a disturbing story. I have no doubts that it is true. These kind of things happen all over our country. Why is it so imperceptible that they happened here?

grinder48
grinder48 07/30/14 - 03:43 am
Evidence

If riding down a trail and hit a rope stretched across the trail tightly enough to bring down the bike and biker, there should be evidence of that on the bike and/or biker.

grinder48
grinder48 07/30/14 - 03:44 am
Fees

Bikers should be required to pay the same fees as hunters to use these areas from their recreation.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/30/14 - 05:26 am
Yesterday I wrote there were 2 ways to look at this, well

there a growing number of ways to look at this and growing.

If the "story" is real or suspect, then the SC LEO's owes it to the community to come right out an say it.

Otherwise some of the public is being lead to believe it happened, and we are dealing with Homosexual Hunter Rapists, that prowl recreational areas, and have enough guns, to the point that they did not want the Glock the "victim" was carrying.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/30/14 - 06:09 am
Man's Name

I'd still like to know the man's name. He wasn't raped so I don't know why LE is redacting his name. Knowing the man's job, background and history of all kinds would have a bearing on believing the story or not.

corgimom
corgimom 07/30/14 - 06:26 am
Riverman, it is standard

Riverman, it is standard policy not to publish the name of someone who is the victim of attempted or actual sexual assault.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/30/14 - 06:49 am
Corgimom, well, I know it's

Corgimom, well, I know it's the law in SC and GA not to release the names of victims, but I don't believe that's the case for attempted sexual assault. At least I can't find anywhere it says names can't be released for attempted assault. This was not a decision by the press to keep his name unknown. LE redacted his name from the incident report.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/30/14 - 07:56 am
They are probably pot growers

They are probably pot growers trying to scare people out of the area.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/30/14 - 08:11 am
Just an opinion

There is no road, just a rugged trail 2ft wide that crosses three small streams, over logs, etc. There are parts of this trail inaccessible to anything but two wheels or foot.

MTBer
MTBer 07/30/14 - 08:31 am
If we are referring to the

If we are referring to the FATS trail system, it criss-crosses gravel roads in nearly a dozen locations. If the LEO thought there was even a hint of truth to the story, they should have driven the roads.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/30/14 - 09:35 am
MTBer, If you had read the

MTBer, If you had read the story you would know it is the Modoc trail; only accessible at the trail head; turn around, and two mile mark.

Even at FATS, once you go down the gravel road(s), there are still miles of trail between those access points.

This is why one should not ride alone (I should heed my own advice); if you crash on the backside of one of these trails, you will be a LONG time getting help if you are injured. Just in the last year or two, an injured cyclist was a couple of hours getting help on Deepstep when he plowed into a tree; and he had a riding partner. A few years back a fellow riding alone crashed on the back side of the Keg Creek trail and had a four mile hike out with a hip or femur fracture.

In short, LE isn't prepared to just willy nilly go into these trails.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/30/14 - 09:30 am
Hint of truth

I think your last sentence gives us the beliefs of the McCormick County deputies, MTBer.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/30/14 - 09:49 am
LL, I get your drift and

LL, I get your drift and agree at this point; but the bottom line is for this trail, they probably don't even know about the forest service roads that people use to access this part of the National Forest.

Local LE and EMT are gaining knowledge, but historically they have called on SORBA to help them with searches or other questions of locating a particular trail section. If someone calls in and says "I crashed and I think my back is broken. I'm on the back side of Skinny", or "halfway through Turkey", or "section X of Horn Creek"; chances are, or were in times past, the EMT's are calling a SORBA officer for help in locating the nearest access point and injured rider.

It isn't as cut and dried as the general public might think.

mtnbkr
mtnbkr 08/01/14 - 06:26 pm
You are all idiots

I am the attacked cyclist. My glock was on my back inside my 100oz camel back. After being knocked off my bike I fell backwards on top of my half padded inside my pack glock, my back STILL hurts from that. I had to pee on my way back to the car, being knocked halfway out and needing a breath i could not draw, I [filtered word] ALL over my self. They rolled me over at some point, when I began to wake up, my helmet/face was being slammed into the ground until they finally pulled it off and threw it in the woods about 45 degrees to my right. My bike had landed to my left as I was face down, I never saw it again that night, never new it was still there till Sunday morning. There was a complaint about not being able to get my pants off from the assailant on my back. He took his weight off my back, I swung my left elbow backwards striking [filtered word] in the face. I "ROLLED" to my left down into a ditch, got up and ran maybe 100 yards before they fired a shotgun at me that missed. The assailant who was on my back smelled of beer. I fell over at the shot, remembered my Glock was in my bag on my back, I stood, tore at my pack to get it off as I ran some more. I was eventually able to find my glock in my bag in the dark, I spun, and fired about 5 shots at my assailants. They found my mp3 player/headphones in 3 separate places along the trail as I ran out of there, falling of logs and tripping over my own scared clumsy feet in the dark. They found my car keys, bike, helmet, light, earbuds, and ONE of my shell casings Sunday morning. My bike is around $2000 for me to replace, I still owe around $9000 on my Subaru I left in the parking lot over night because I had no key, my assailants could have taken my bike, car etc. I did not give a [filtered word], I only wanted to live. I was left on the side of the road by three vehicles who refused to stop and help me. I broke down at this point, hid in the ditch across the road, found my extra pistol mag and held it in my left hand my glock in my right hand, my empty water bag on my back. Finally my hero arrived driving what I think was a white Nissan Xterra, followed by another midsize suv I don't know what it was. Both vehicles were driven by adult males, with several children sitting as passengers in both vehicles. Those men risked themselves and those children to save my life. They're heroes - I plan to find them and reward them somehow. Another woman was attacked FOUR days after I was in Dallas GA, don't know if it's the same people who attacked me. I'd like to send out a big F*** to all of you calling me a liar, also a big F*** to the Metro Spirit who ran my story as a "Deliverance" attack in the woods. I do not find ANY of your GOD **** squeal like a pig jokes funny. When it's your friends and family laying in the woods fighting for their lives, see how damn funny it is for you. You don't get all the details to the crime, the police need that to find these bastards, you weren't there, you don't know, and YOU probably would not have survived it. I am 6' 3" tall 200lbs. and an ex-military police officer, they picked on the wrong victim just wish I'd hit one with my Glock Saturday night. I am thankful to God that I can look over my shoulder right now and tell my wife I love her.

State legislators won't push bill for mayor

The state legislators that Augusta Mayor Hardie Davis needs to draft legislation that will give him more power say that won’t happen this year, with less than a month remaining in the legislative ...