Firefighters rescued several pets Friday morning from a house fire on Wayside Drive.
Richmond County firefighters were called to 3445 Wayside Drive about 8:30 a.m. The home’s occupants made it safely outside, where they were treated for smoke inhalation. But several pets were still inside. Firefighters rescued three puppies, two cats and three kittens.
Firefighters determined the fire started when someone placed a pile of clothes on top of lit cigarettes that had been left on a mattress.
Smoke damage was contained to one room of the house.