Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man shot during home invasion will be charged

Friday, July 18, 2014 8:15 AM
Last updated 7:07 PM

Police say a man shot during a home invasion at Butler Creek mobile home park Friday morning will be arrested when he gets out of the hospital.

A deputy tapes off the shooting scene Friday morning off Lucas Circle  Bianca Johnson/ Staff photo
Bianca Johnson/ Staff photo
A deputy tapes off the shooting scene Friday morning off Lucas Circle

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Eric James Harlan, 26, was shot once in the stomach after he kicked in the door of a home on the 3000 block of Lucas Circle while in possession of a knife.

Harlan faces charges of aggravated assault, burglary in the first degree and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime.

Just before 8 a.m., Richmond County sheriff’s deputies answered a report of a home invasion in which a person had been shot.

Dennis Weatherman, a Checker Cab driver, told The Chronicle he had driven Harlan to the Lucas Circle home after picking him up earlier at the Courtesy Motel on 15th Street.

When they arrived, Harlan said he did not have enough for the fare, but handed the cab driver his driver’s license and part of the money and claimed he would go into the home and return with the rest of it.

Weatherman said Harlan returned a few minutes later saying he could not get anyone to answer the door but he would continue trying. Soon after, Weatherman heard what sounded like kicks to the door of the home.

“About 30 seconds after that I heard two consecutive gunshots,” Weatherman said.

The next time he saw Harlan he was on a stretcher.

Weatherman said a woman who lived at the residence came out and talked to him after the shooting. He said she very calmly told him how she fired two shots at the man’s “love handles” with a 9mm after she heard him trying to kick in the door. She said it was because there was a small child in the home.

“The guy was real nice,” Weatherman said. “That’s why I can’t believe how it ended like it did.”

Police have not identified the shooter but said there will be no charges.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/18/14 - 07:34 am
Just the beginning of another

Just the beginning of another day in South Augusta.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/18/14 - 07:43 am
If I still lived in South Augusta I would thank Downtown

for such a Target Rich Environment.

Just counting the days before some Downtown Fool running for office proposes tighter Gun Controls for Augusta.

Forgetting that Criminals will always have a access to illegal weapons.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/14 - 07:47 am
Gun control you say

Just for south Augusta nocnoc...

The city doesn't have ANY problems according to some on here!

Betcha glad you are in another county!

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 07/18/14 - 08:17 am
I've seen and heard about it so often now

I've seen and heard about it so often now and it still bothers me. It's like reliving the nightmare of my adopted son's encounter at 3 months old when his father was gunned down by 5 teens in a home invasion. He's just turned six now and he's had years of love and nurturing and the beginnings of a good education. He was too little to remember it, so all he really remembers is that he has a mama and daddy who love him so much and protect him to the ends of the earth. Not all children are this fortunate and sadly all we can do is pray that God will continue to watch over them daily, hourly and every minute of their lives.

We can't control everything, but we all answer to a higher power in our end. I answer to God.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 07/18/14 - 08:19 am
PS seenitB4, I'm in Columbia County.

Where you live means nothing when you have criminals everywhere. Every neighborhood, every corner, every middle school and high school. It truly isn't about how poor someone is any longer. It's just about being a thug.

cush1944
cush1944 07/18/14 - 08:35 am
"Where you live means nothing

"Where you live means nothing when you have criminals everywhere. "
sugarbutton, you are correct. This mess was created by the Great Society, democrats, liberals and black leaders.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/14 - 08:38 am
sugarbutton

I understand that 100%..I'm in Gwinnett & we have a share of misfits...

If I'm playing the odds, I know where I won't live...just saying.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/18/14 - 09:16 am
When I bought my home in

When I bought my home in Columbia County, I had great, friendly neighbors. Some retirees, school teachers, etc. Now we have gotten some section 8 and some others who are just plain unfriendly or unwilling to become part of a neighborhood.

We now have some vandalism, domestic violence, attempted break-ins and teens playing loud rap music. I'm beginning to wonder if anywhere is safe and pleasant to live.

I'm thinking of selling my house and just renting so I will be able to move if things get dicey.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 07/18/14 - 10:43 am
If the man "only known as

If the man "only known as Eric" handed the cab driver his drivers license, then he is known by more than just "Eric". Every license I've ever seen has a last name on it.

unapologetik
unapologetik 07/18/14 - 10:51 am
Sometimes I wonder if the

Sometimes I wonder if the people who constantly rag on South Augusta realize that criminals are "mobile"? Sugarbutton is correct too. IT's not even about being poor anymore. People are committing crime just to look cool or try to be a thug. Most of the kids in S. Augusta that are burglarizing homes and damaging property have pretty nice homes themselves and nice things. They just do it for the sake of being cool. I've even seen cases in Columbia Co. where the kids who burglarize homes have better stuff than what they've stolen. They just think it's cool to do illegal things.

countyman
countyman 07/18/14 - 10:58 am
Seenitb4... Why is the sky

Seenitb4... Why is the sky always falling in Augusta? You didn't have anything sarcastic to comment about the shooting in AC or the shooting and home invasions in Columbia County.

When did everywhere in RC begin to have the same crime rate?

The comments are hilarious, because just like Fulton versus Gwinnett.. There's plenty of nicer individual areas in RC compared to the suburban counties...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/14 - 11:32 am
Stop with your thin skin comments ctyman

I have voiced my anger on crime in MANY areas of Ga....you only see negative comments about Richmond county...I hate crime anywhere & you should too.
Instead of wasting your comments on me..because it won't change me, try to find out why folks like nocnoc move to greener pastures...find out why you have more CRIME in YOUR county....Atlanta has changed & we all know it, breakins--car jacking & etc shows up almost everyday in the AJC....

But just curious ctyman...why do YOU think there are more crime reports in Richmond than Columbia??

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/18/14 - 11:37 am
Yep! living in the booneys is nice

If Atlanta or Macon ever goes Level 3 State of emergency, we live in a small community about 10 miles from I-75 but 15 miles between exits. It is 1 way in and the same way out, surrounded by farms, cows, deer, wild turkeys and access to Jackson Lake a mile down the road.

Y'all can have Consolidated Augusta.
I honestly think ARC is too far gone to ever return, even to be buried.

Until then, I am fishing, and doing my hunting with a camera as I am able.

We sit here, bordered by 100's of acres that leads down to Jackson Lake. All while watching dinner a few times a week walk across my backyard.

historylover
19203
historylover 07/18/14 - 12:08 pm
SeenIt

I lived in Gwinnett County for many years - 1981 - 1988. The changes that have taken place there and that took place during those years were beyond amazing and tumultuous too. Steve Reynells Blvd. used to be a dirt road named Franklin. That is where I used to live. By the time we moved, I could hear Atlanta Toyota's intercom system inside our house!

Nonnoc, I hope Augusta is not beyond help, but I'm afraid you may be right. I am originally from south Augusta and driving there now makes me very sad. The biggest problem I've observed is that the old city of Augusta is pretty well cared for while the entire southern part of the county is ignored. District 6 should not even be called part of Augusta as far as I can see. Check out a map of Augusta (from a large map company) and you will see that it completely leaves out anything south of Tobacco Road.

In closing, I don't live there anymore either, but what a shame to see my home town fall into such despair and ruin.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/14 - 12:34 pm
Exactly historylover

" I am originally from south Augusta and driving there now makes me very sad. The biggest problem I've observed is that the old city of Augusta is pretty well cared for while the entire southern part of the county is ignored"

My feelings too....it makes me so sad...some can't see the writing on the wall & get upset when we post the obvious...time & money COULD be spent in the southside & could improve the situation..

Also the BILLIONS planned on illegals could be spent RIGHT here in the good ole USA.....too bad some can't see the needs in this country before we try to fix the world.

countyman
countyman 07/18/14 - 02:07 pm
Weird!!

The sky is falling comments are hilarious every time... Why is the Cyber Command coming to Fort Gordon if Augusta is doing so bad? The $150 million outlet mall, future cancer center, etc are moving forward in Augusta... The city just ranked 10th in the US among medium size cities winning information jobs..

Why do people want to portray there's nothing happening in South Augusta?

The $172 million Starbucks plant, $115 million Rockwood plant, $20 million Augusta Renewable Energy, $10 million Eco Energy, and Palmetto Propane facilities are in South Augusta.. The Windsor Square redevelopment is underway and there's rumors of Walmart coming to Tobacco road.. The next Target is also more than likely coming to South Augusta..

None of the commissioners live in the CBD(downtown) and the majority of them live south of Gordon Hwy...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/14 - 02:33 pm
OMG what is wrong with me

The propane company is coming to south Augusta..& a wallyworld on Tobacco rd....oh hot dang!
Gimmie some of that stuff....leave the Cheesecake Factory & Bonefish in other places....geez, why didn't you say that earlier......I might move for a factory next door....& another wallyworld.....why do you keep this info to yourself.....& a target too...please ctyman stop teasing me with goodies....

Please stop with luring me back on here--I really have work to do...:)

AFjoe
AFjoe 07/18/14 - 02:46 pm
Moved from S Augusta

I grew up, went to school & worked there my whole childhood-young adult. When I moved back to the A-RC area after an extended absense, I drove around all my old stomping grounds and it's sad to see how run down it looks. NEVER would I ever consider living there again.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/18/14 - 03:12 pm
countyman

You are always posting that shooting and armed robbery is only reported for Richmond County but never for Columbia County. I have ask you before to make your morning first post by posting the non-reported killings, shootings and armed robbery that take place in this crime infested Columbia County. When it has happened, please insure that you indicated from what county the criminal lives.
I know with your expertise that you will be able to match what you say and make it compatible with Richmond County.
Good Luck.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/18/14 - 03:16 pm
Tomorrow

like two weekends ago, over 1000 shootings will be done in Columbia County. Maybe that will outnumber Richmond County total shootings for the year.

corgimom
corgimom 07/18/14 - 03:56 pm
"Why is the Cyber Command

"Why is the Cyber Command coming to Ft Gordon if Augusta is doing so bad?"

The Army doesn't give two flips about the civilian crime in a city. They look at where they can best carry out their mission.

Why would they care?

But keep in mind, Countyman, that Deke himself said the Pentagon is watching Augusta every day...*snort*...and the sound you heard after he said that, was the sound of thousands of people laughing their behinds off.

Pops
Pops 07/18/14 - 04:10 pm
The Cyber Command

is coming to Ft. Gordon because the new outlet mall is coming......Starbucks Plant people told the outlet mall people to come....Dunkin Donut people told the Starbucks people to come....Five Guys told the Dunkin Donut people to come......so it makes sense to say that the people in the Pentagon like them's some Five Guys........

Gage Creed
19463
Gage Creed 07/18/14 - 06:15 pm
Twin Peaks

Them Russkies is setting up a den of iniquity over there in the Augusta Exchange to trap those Cyber Command types..

Here's hoping the Army makes those soldiers hang out at The Atlantic Bread Company..

Or Five Guys like Pops says..

Airman
Airman 07/18/14 - 06:36 pm
Seenb4

Better watch out Im in Grinette county this weekend and I may be flying my drones. Have a goodun

like-it-is
like-it-is 07/18/14 - 09:55 pm
LORD!

to all the Negative comments

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/19/14 - 04:45 am
AGGRAVATED ASSAULT-GUN IN ARC

Checking the AC crime Database I see since 6-2011 332 arrests.
That does mean 332 shootings correct?

Can any point me to a Crime Database for Columbia Co?
I can't seem to locate a Crime Database, just a Police Plotter report that has a maybe 10-12 arrests over the last 2 months?

Just want to be fair with any comparisons.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/19/14 - 06:56 am
The many bases I lived on

The many bases I lived on were placed strategically near smaller- to medium-sized cities and was based on a number of things. Most times those cities grew just because of the military presence.

The long established ones probably saw very little to no crime in the immediate area when they were put up.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/19/14 - 06:59 am
This man needed to be charged

This man needed to be charged for a crime. He had no right, even if he knew this woman, to break into her home. She claimed there was a child in the home and that would be enough for me to do the same thing she did.

Billsams
Billsams 07/19/14 - 09:09 pm

test

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/20/14 - 10:09 am
When the demographics change

When the demographics change crime changes. When a county has more of the benefits like public housing and the other freebies then crime changes. I like Augusta and it has been good to me. The only ones falling by the wayside are those that do not have much to offer anyone anyway. As COLUMBIA county grows and they get the "Good stuff " from the government the increase in undesirables will start and so will the crime.