Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man hit with 2-by-4 during fight

Saturday, July 5, 2014 5:56 PM
Last updated 6:41 PM

An Augusta man says he was struck by a 2-by-4 during a fight early Friday, a police report states.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Christopher Wal­ters, 27, of North Pine Drive, said he was fighting with another man in a driveway in the 2100 block of Stevens Road when the man ran into the house, came out with the lumber and struck Walters in the head.

Walters talked to a Richmond County sheriff’s deputy at Univer­sity Hospital at 4 a.m., about a half-hour after the incident, according to the police report.

Doctors told police that Walters sustained a depressed skull fracture and was bleeding from the brain. Deputies stopped an interview with Walters while treatment was administered.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/05/14 - 06:30 pm
2 things....first, there are

2 things....first, there are no rules in a fight...ANYTHING goes!
Secondly, he was lucky he went inside and just came back with a board! Could've come back with a knife, or a gun, or even worse, his wife!!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/05/14 - 07:44 pm
Bleeding from the brain

due to being struck with a 2 x 4 - how kind of the officers to stop interviewing the victim while he was being treated. I wonder if that officer would have appreciated being questioned while he had to undergo treatment? Not very sensitive or sensible, is he????

bdouglas
bdouglas 07/06/14 - 01:05 am
Was the suspect's name Jim,

Was the suspect's name Jim, and did he go by the nickname "Hacksaw"?

myfather15
myfather15 07/06/14 - 05:45 am
TW

Ok, and if they stopped the interview, without ALL the information and he dies? Then what? As long as it's POSSIBLE, we should continue to get ALL the information possible for a case. Sensitivity goes out the windown when you're investigating a serious violent crime; because if you don't have numerous witnesses and the victim dies, you better have what you need for your case or the offender goes free.

As long as the victim is coherent and able to speak to you, AND it doesn't interfere in the treatment, we continue getting information.

myfather15
myfather15 07/06/14 - 05:52 am
Couple things!!

First, Mr. Walter's admitted he was obviously WILLFULLY fighting with this man in the driveway!!

Then, this man goes into a house and comes out with a 2x4. Question; does Mr. Walter's live at THIS residence? If not, why did he not FLEE when the man went inside? Does Mr. Walter's have some responsibility for WANTING to continue the fight, by waiting outside for the other man to come back? When the man came out with the 2x4, did Mr. Walter's attempt to flee? Was he too drunk to flee? Was he too drunk to WANT to flee? Meaning, even after the man took the time to go inside, then came out with a 2x4 and came after him, Mr. Walter's felt 10 feet tall and bulletproof and did NOT feel the need to flee? Possible?

Is Mr. Walter's not going to be on disability because of his injuries? Probably!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/06/14 - 06:03 am
going to be on disability because of his injuries? Probably!!

We all pay for these foolish mistakes...

iaaffg
iaaffg 07/06/14 - 06:39 am
this is worthy of print in

this is worthy of print in the paper? surely there's something more interesting to impart to your reading public than the inanity of a pair of dumbazzes duking it out on a friday night.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/06/14 - 07:45 am
Immediate registration of all wood products proposed

We cannot have these Automatic Clubs in the hands of criminals, the unstable, or our honest citizens in fact.

Moving forward the Federal Gov propses only SOFT woods may be used as clubs, The fed's should ban all Hardwood Clubs to minmize the chance to Skull fractures.

Therefore the President has taken executive action (PEN in Hand)
and given Wood registration and control to the New formed ATF&W to better control of Wood weapons.

Humor off

Seriously
1st of all, haven't said it a Million times... Nothing good happen after Midnight let alone 3am on a weekend.

2nd, People will use whatever is handy if they want to hurt, murder or defend themselves.

BTW: a 2x4 is now 1 1/2" by 3 1/2"

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/06/14 - 09:15 am
Attention

Sometimes, to get the mules attention, it's necessary to hit him squarely between the eyes with a 2 x 4!!!!

myfather15
myfather15 07/06/14 - 09:23 am
Seenitb4

Absolutely we do!! I know a woman right now who's on disability because she was hit in the head with a tequila bottle at a huge drug dealers party!! She actually pulled out a box cutter and then was hit in the head with the bottle. She now says she gets headaches daily and can't work!!

Another I personally know of is a drug dealer, where several guys broke into his house to rob him of his money and drugs; they shot him five times and he is now drawing $1,100.00 a month, from US, because of his injuries!!

historylover
historylover 07/06/14 - 09:54 am
myfather15

You really know some rowdy people! I honestly don't know anyone who has sustained those kind of injuries in a fight or who have dealt drugs at such a high volume.

I only know two person on disability and both of them have long term debilitating illnesses.

myfather15
myfather15 07/06/14 - 12:48 pm
historylover

Do you know my line of work? Of course I know and have dealt with some rowdy people!!

The drug dealer who was shot, I didn't work it, but I knew all about that incident, which happen 7 or 8 years ago. A couple years ago, I arrested him for driving on a suspended license. During the arrest, he had about $4,000.00 in cash on him and claimed he just sold a boat, but didn't have a bill of sale. During the booking process, one of the question's is your place of employment; his answer was he draws disability. He also was the one told me how much the monthly payment is.

The girl is one of the "regulars" we deal with on the street all the time. She also was the one told us she draws disability for her headaches, which resulted from her injuries. I was one of the deputies present the night she got hit with the bottle.

I've arrested people burlarizing homes, just to find out during the booking process, they're on disability. I've arrested people having brawls with other people, and during booking discover they're on disability. I could go ON and ON with the examples that I personally have seen, but I won't.

Fact is, there are many people in society who do NOT contribute a single penny, or anything positive into society!! They are actually a drain to society; a poison that deteriorates society!! We are getting more and more of them, with more people learning how to con the system!! A peaceful, loving, and PRODUCTIVE society can not exist with dishonest people like this in existence!! They shall have their reward, in the end!!

Want to know what's going to happen to them? Read Psalms 37!! That's where I go when the ways of this world start getting to me!!

myfather15
myfather15 07/06/14 - 12:54 pm
Where Mr. Walter's lives is

Where Mr. Walter's lives is pretty important. Because if he doesn't live at this residence, he always has the option that once the verbal argument started, he could leave and return to HIS residence. The person living at this residence, doesn't have anywhere to go; therefore they can't just leave.

But, the 2x4 man should have called 911 and not went out there with a bat and confronted Walter's again. Now, if I'm at MY home and calling 911 on Mr. Walter's and he is still trying to GET TO ME, then I'll defend myself while the LE officers are on their way.

oldfella
oldfella 07/06/14 - 01:31 pm
PIne Drive? Hmmmm.........

Come on folks! The guy lives on Pine Drive and produces a 2-by-4?
The injured guy should have seen that coming!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/06/14 - 01:43 pm
Interesting

Myfather15 and countyman1 (where is he?) are two of the most informed folks on this site. Those that disagree give me a thumbs down - I dare you!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/06/14 - 01:52 pm
Countyman

You are correct about Myfather, but I have to disagree with you about Countyman. He has erroneously posted several times that the old Davidson school building on Telfair Street has been sold to a private interest. That is not true. The property still belongs to the Richmond County Board of Education.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/06/14 - 02:31 pm
Addendum to "Interesting"

I guess the sarcasm in that posting did not come through!!

jimmymac
jimmymac 07/06/14 - 09:36 pm
ANYTHING

I can't agree that it's OK for an anything goes attitude when fighting. Whatever happened to two guys just duking it out? By Just My Opinion's statement it's OK I guess for the guy to go into his house and come back with a gun. It's not OK and it should be treated as a crime.

bdouglas
bdouglas 07/06/14 - 10:29 pm
@LL

His boss probably walked in and caught him before he could finish "researching" that one. ;)

Paine president resigns

George C. Bradley resigned as president of the embattled Paine College on Tuesday as the institution continues efforts to maintain its accreditation after several years of financial mismanagement ...