Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

North Augusta man lighting grill sets fire, destroys home

Monday, June 16, 2014 10:30 PM
Last updated Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Follow Crime & courts

A North Augusta home was destroyed Monday after a resident accidentally set fire to a mattress while lighting a grill indoors.

Back | Next
A home in the 500 block of West Pine Grove Avenue in North Augusta was destroyed by a fire Monday.  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
A home in the 500 block of West Pine Grove Avenue in North Augusta was destroyed by a fire Monday.

At 6:34 p.m., the North Augusta Department of Public Safety was called to the home in the 500 block of West Pine Grove Avenue to douse the flames, Sgt. Kevin Hayes said.

Julian McKie, 65, said he was attempting to light the burner on his propane grill in his living room when the grill tipped and lit the mattress.

After failing to put out the flames himself, McKie said, he fled the house. He had lived there for more than 30 years, and was happy to be alive.

“That’s the best thing about it,” he said. “You can replace a house. You can’t replace a life.”

Ronnie Boseman, who lives nearby, said he had just taken a few steps outside of his house when he noticed something a bit odd.

“I walked around the corner and the entire North Augusta fire department was there,” he said. “The flames were pretty tall. Not taller than the trees, but huge.”

As firefighters worked their way through the charred structure, they removed at least six propane tanks that had been inside. Hayes said one was “hissing” when firefighters found it, but none of the tanks exploded.

Comments (17) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
JRC2024
8854
Points
JRC2024 06/16/14 - 10:43 pm
8
0
Tanks inside, wow. Not too

Tanks inside, wow. Not too smart. Glad he wasn't hurt.

IBeDogGone
3014
Points
IBeDogGone 06/16/14 - 10:47 pm
8
1
Indoor Grill

I have never heard of having an indoor grill in your living room. Of course his living room was kind of unique to have a mattress also. Glad no one was hurt.

seenitB4
86957
Points
seenitB4 06/17/14 - 06:51 am
5
1
Well now

I BE DOG GONE!

AFjoe
2912
Points
AFjoe 06/17/14 - 08:13 am
3
1
Bad idea

What you want to bet he was trying to light the grill with gasoline. Looks like the front porch is on fire instead of the living room.
Safety tip for the day-- move your mattress away from all open frames.
Fumes will kill ya too.

csralookout
257
Points
csralookout 06/17/14 - 08:46 am
4
1
Can't miss the game...bring that grill inside!

Clearly the man didn't want to miss any of the World Cup, so he brought the grill inside. Soccer aka: FUTBOL has no commercials! HAHA!!!

Marinerman1
4817
Points
Marinerman1 06/17/14 - 08:46 am
7
1
Heard About This

I heard about this on the way to work. There are several things about this story that don't make any sane sense. Lighting a propane grill burner inside the house. Having a mattress inside the house, that just happens to be near a propane grill, you are trying to light. Multiple propane tanks INSIDE your house. Not wanting to cast judgement, BUT.........

itsanotherday1
42932
Points
itsanotherday1 06/17/14 - 08:50 am
5
1
It does sound a bit strange.

It does sound a bit strange. If it was the liquid fuel type Coleman, I could see where fumes might have settled on the mattress, accelerating the ignition; but it sounds as if it was propane. Either way, strange that he was using a grill indoors, even if only testing it out.

Just glad the fellow got out unscathed.

corgimom
32231
Points
corgimom 06/17/14 - 09:46 am
4
2
While I don't know this man,

While I don't know this man, I am wondering if maybe his electricity had been turned off or that his stove was broken and he couldn't afford a new one.

KSL
129204
Points
KSL 06/17/14 - 11:13 am
4
2
Still doesn't explain why

Still doesn't explain why someone would grill inside a house, especially in the summer.

internationallyunknown
4182
Points
internationallyunknown 06/17/14 - 11:14 am
4
1
Trying again...

Maybe next time, he will not have six propane tanks in his home while lighting a grill inside the home. That's not safe.

I'm glad no one was hurt.

Something doesn't add up with this story...

jimmymac
39440
Points
jimmymac 06/17/14 - 12:48 pm
0
0
AWARD
Unpublished

This guy is definitely a candidate for the annual Darwin Award.

Riverman1
83725
Points
Riverman1 06/17/14 - 01:08 pm
3
0
Probably.

Probably.

AFjoe
2912
Points
AFjoe 06/17/14 - 01:26 pm
2
0
Savage

Excellent deduction...never even crossed my mind.

redapples
660
Points
redapples 06/17/14 - 01:41 pm
4
1
I'm with you, Corgi, could

I'm with you, Corgi, could definitely be more to the story. Why are posters on here so quick to jump to the condemning conclusions? I'm going to call it - schadenfreude! For the record we have 4 propane tanks that we use for camping. Looks like that makes us amateur meth makers. C'mon people!

Pops
8343
Points
Pops 06/17/14 - 04:46 pm
5
0
“That’s the best thing about it,” he said. “You can replace a

house. You can’t replace a life.”

Actually, Ron White said it best....."You Can't Fix Stupid"............

Dixieman
14943
Points
Dixieman 06/17/14 - 05:36 pm
3
0
Famous last words...

...here in the South:

"Hey, y'all, watch this!"

rmwhitley
5547
Points
rmwhitley 06/17/14 - 07:28 pm
0
0
How has
Unpublished

Mr. McKie survived to the age of 65?

KSL
129204
Points
KSL 06/17/14 - 08:31 pm
1
1
Good one, Dman.

Good one, Dman.

KSL
129204
Points
KSL 06/17/14 - 08:36 pm
1
1
Somehow I am reminded of

Somehow I am reminded of runners up for the Darwin Awards.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...
Search Augusta jobs