Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Ga. officers may have lied about training hours

ATLANTA — Reviews suggest that at least 500 law enforcement officers in Georgia may have lied about fulfilling required training in the last year.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the police officers and sheriff’s deputies may have taken advantage of a glitch in the new program used for online training courses.

The newspaper reports that law enforcement agencies across the state have been told to investigate whether their officers actually completed required training.

The problem was discovered after the Cumming Police Department reported finding discrepancies in 15 officers’ online training records.

Navy Gary
Navy Gary 06/11/14 - 10:44 am
No Way!

No Way!!! Police officers don't lie. Shame on you for not calling them heroes again and again! Now, go say three "hail roadblock Roundtrees" as your pennants /punishment.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/11/14 - 02:47 pm
Navy Gary,You and i both

Navy Gary,
You and i both know that the cops lie all the time. It is part of their job. Just like novacain is part of a dentists job. Cops are taught how to lie and how to lie with a straight face as part of their training. The lying to a citizen to obtain a conviction is different than lying to thier wives about their mistresses. One will get them a promotion and the other will get them divorced and they will have to split that $31K starting salary. The SCOTUS has ruled over and over that the cops can lie to a suspect/person of interest/subject in the interest of justice. Now back to this article. It states "required" training. To me this means training necessary to stay qualified. So today, as I write this, there may be hundreds of police officers across Georgia who arrested and removed a citizen's liberty and were not qualified to do so. Do not worry, however. Nothing will come of this. It never does. Newspapers report. Police chiefs and sheriffs smile look the other way. "Hey officers, the media is putting the heat on us. Please fellas, when you're no too terribly busy with the coffee and donuts go online, catch up on your hours and stick to the lies you were trained to tell". Of course that can ONLY be during working hours so they will be paid to cover up for their fraud done while in office

specsta
specsta 06/11/14 - 03:48 pm
Astonishing!

Cops lie. Let's repeat. Cops lie.

They lie to citizens, they lie to judges, they lie to prosecutors, they lie on the witness stand.

They will lie when video evidence contradicts every word they are saying.

Anyone who completely trusts a cop, in any circumstance, is rather ignorant.

Navy Gary
Navy Gary 06/11/14 - 04:16 pm
If you lie

If you lie, you are a liar. If you steal, you are a thief. A liar steals the truth. Keep teaching cops to lie. They will get less respect than they do now. SCOTUS is a political entity. Bought and paid for with political favors.

myfather15
myfather15 06/11/14 - 05:12 pm
Typical police-hating crowd!!

You'll never hear me say that police never lie; because they do and have!! About the same as any other profession!! You think you've never been lied to by a doctor? Given a prescription, you didn't need because the doctor gets kickbacks, the more prescriptions he gives out? Never been lied to by a lawyer, car salesman, cable guy, furniture salesman, financial advisor or just the person working the drive through window at burger king???

But, the truth is that when these people are caught lying they should suffer the consequences, no matter how severe!!

My problem with this typical police hating crowd is you imply that EVERY police officer lies, cheats and steals!! That is no more true about police officers, than it is about doctors!! A little common sense will take you a long way!! Obviously, you guys have had some bad experiences with police, which block your use of common sense; or you watch too many youtube videos!! Heroic police videos never get the attention of the police misconduct ones. There are bad people in ALL professions!! There are no more or no less in law enforcement!! But don't let the truth get in the way of your golden opportunity to bash LE officers!!

You guys have a wonderful day and keep up the good work!! The more you type, the more people see just how radical your views are!!

Navy Gary
Navy Gary 06/11/14 - 05:29 pm
Here's a story for ya..

Cops arrest an 18 year old for a bag of weed. They try and get him to divulge where he bought it. He won't. So, they tell him his mother is on the way to pick him up. Then, about 30 minutes later, the cops come back in the room and tell the kid his mother was killed in a car wreck on the way to get him.(a lie) After more interrogation, the kid breaks down and gives up the name of his supplier. This is how cops operate. Who can EVER respect cops who do things like this? If you lie to a cop, that's a crime but cops can lie to citizens with impunity. Where is the freedom in THAT?

fatboyhog
1944
fatboyhog 06/11/14 - 09:30 pm
Police Training

"Cops are taught how to lie and how to lie with a straight face as part of their training" GiantsAllDay
----------------------------
I must have been absent that day. I missed basic "how to lie with a straight face" training.

Navy Gary
Navy Gary 06/12/14 - 01:32 am
Actually...

Actually Myfather and FBH, I'm not a cop basher/hater. You guys have a tough job. I wouldn't have it for any amount of pay or whatever it is that you guys get out of it. That said, I do not condone some of the practices used by law enforcement. Someone being read their Miranda rights by a cop trained to lie to them is just downright wrong. To me, that's just common sense. Just my opinion.

myfather15
myfather15 06/12/14 - 07:34 am
I'm not a cop basher, BUT........

"or whatever it is that you guys get out of it." So, what do you mean by "Whatever" we get out of it?

And then a complete LIE!!

" Someone being read their Miranda rights by a cop trained to lie to them is just downright wrong."

As FBH stated, I must have missed the training where they taught us to lie!! Yes, some officers DO LIE, but certainly they aren't taught to lie!! Matter of fact, EVERY training I've ever received has taught me to do the job with honor!!

"To me, that's just common sense. Just my opinion."

Yes, common sense SHOULD also tell you that INDIVIDUALS in ALL professions, will abuse their position and lie!! Again, when you've got hundreds of officer's in just THIS area, some will abuse their power and authority. MOST, will not and do not!! THAT is common sense!!

When a person says "I'm not a cop basher" I prefer to use another quote; "By their fruits, ye shall know them."

One can SAY they aren't something, but when every word that procedes out of their mouth tells a different story, I believe their FRUITS, not their words!!

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 07:39 am
If the police are so

If the police are so dishonest, why did the Cumming police department report this?

"The Public Safety Training Center says glitches in the online program either didn’t accurately record time spent in training or allowed officers to get credit without actually completing training."

Hope nobody spent a lot of money on this junk.

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 07:40 am
When a person says "I'm not a

When a person says "I'm not a cop basher"

that says to me, that yes, they are.

However, why don't all the people that are so against police officers become one, so that they can do it the right way?

Because they wouldn't last 10 minutes.

AFjoe
AFjoe 06/12/14 - 08:03 am
Glitch only

The article states they are taking advantage of a computer "Glitch"
Now if you want to see what a real liar looks like...turn on CNN and watch BHO.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/12/14 - 08:52 am
MyFather15, you probably have

MyFather15,
you probably have the most important job in the world. Those that founded this great country state the 3 most important rights endowed by our creator. Not for citizens, but for ALL human beings. Life, LIBERTY and the pursuit of happiness. When you arrest someone, you take their liberty from them. Just promise all of us when you do so, it is for just cause, ok? I just don't think that a majority of your colleges even care about our founders' statement when they lock people up. But deep down in my heart, I believe you do. You are truly one of the good guys....

myfather15
myfather15 06/12/14 - 12:15 pm
GAD

The majority of the people don't even KNOW their rights, not to mention care about what the founders intended!!

The other day we were arrested a guy who created a disturbance at a Waffle House and we had to struggle with him. He just kept repeating "I know my rights".

I then asked him "Which Amendments are included in the Bill of Rights, and he couldn't give an answer. I then ask him to just quote me ONE of his rights from the Constitution and he couldn't. It isn't JUST police that don't know or care about our established rights; it's the majority of the citizens.

That's why I take my honor very serious!! Your right, it's my job, even if this guy doesn't know his actual rights, to ensure they are NOT violated. After 18 years of doing this, in my experience the overwhelming majority of officers DO NOT violate people's rights, as you would suggest.

" When you arrest someone, you take their liberty from them."

This is true, temporarily; because we arrest them but can't just hold them forever. Because they still have the right to bond!! We (law enforcement) can NOT hold someone without bond, only a JUDGE can do that. One could also say THEY take their own liberty away, by their behavior!!

But I get what you're saying!! I do have the "power" to arrest someone and I do NOT take that lightly!! I do not abuse it.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/12/14 - 02:33 pm
I know you don't. That's why

I know you don't. That's why I wish all those in law enforcement were as passionate about their job as you. Just my opinion here. And MyFather15, you can throw me under the bus as much as you want....BUT letting 10,000 people go for writing bad checks is NOT AS BAD as taking an innocent person's liberty away for 10 minutes. I just really believe the framers of our country's thoughts, that's all. Life LIBERTY and the persuit of happiness.....

myfather15
myfather15 06/12/14 - 05:14 pm
GAD

Honestly, I don't have any problem with anyone criticizing an officer or deputies actions. As a matter of fact, I'll be the first to join you.

My ONLY issue is when I see people accusing ALL of us, of doing the same things!! It just isn't true and doesn't make sense. It's like saying ALL Doctor's write pain pill prescriptions to addicts, just because quite a few do. All professions have their bad seeds, that's just the plain truth.

Again, if you'll reserve your criticism to the officer who may have lied; or in the case of the woman in Florida being arrested twice, due to wrong identity, to THOSE detectives, I have problem.

But, I can't insist that you do so; so I'll just continue to witness the truth when I see someone being unreasonable.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/12/14 - 06:11 pm
You are correct, MyFather15.

You are correct, MyFather15. My posts about the police do not include officers like you. If it comes across tv at way, I apologize. I will try to word my posts better in the future.