Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man reports tour bus break-in

Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:09 PM
Last updated 6:50 PM

An Augusta man notified police Wednesday after he discovered someone stole musical equipment and guns from a gospel band’s tour bus.

The victim told police he leaves the bus at a location on Gordon Highway when the band is not on tour. He returned to the bus Wednesday evening for the first time since May 30 to find one window open, another removed and the door open. The key was also in the ignition but the vehicle could not be moved because the power was turned off in back.

According to an incident report, the victim found the bus ransacked and missing eight music pedals valued at $650, a Fender Stratocaster guitar valued at $1,300 and two handguns -- a .38-caliber and .357 magnum -- that had been in a lockbox.

The deputy was unable to find any signs of forced entry other than the removed window.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/05/14 - 04:19 pm
Why in the H E double hockey

Why in the H E double hockey sticks would you leave valuables in a bus parked long term?

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 06/05/14 - 07:27 pm
HEAT

The heat is causing severe lapse in judgement if you would leave those items on a storage location in Gordon Highway when not on tour!

countyman
20585
countyman 06/05/14 - 06:53 pm
Gordon Hwy is a long road..

Gordon Hwy can run all the way from Harlem, GA to Aiken, SC... The demographics along Gordon Highway aren't the same for every area.. There's plenty of new construction on Gordon Hwy between Jimmie Dyess/Grovetown in Southwest Augusta. The portion between I-520/Barton Chapel in South Augusta is not bad either..

corgimom
corgimom 06/05/14 - 09:04 pm
No, Countyman, you are

No, Countyman, you are incorrect, the Gordon Highway DOES NOT run to Aiken SC.

When it crosses into SC, it becomes the Jefferson Davis Highway.

Gordon Highway is strictly a Georgia name.

I am surprised that you didn't know that.

boodroe
1959
boodroe 06/06/14 - 07:58 am
Guns in the bus

Why does a gospel group need to carry guns with them on tour and why leave them in the bus?

curly123053
curly123053 06/06/14 - 08:31 am
Gordon Highway

No where along the Gordon Highway is safe in my opinion for leaving valuables stored in any vehicle long-term. And I have not seen the first street sign driving home to Aiken on Highway 1 that reads Gordon Highway yet since I started working in Augusta in 2006.

jimmymac
jimmymac 06/06/14 - 08:52 am
GUNS

The gospel group must play to some tough crowds to need to be strapped while on tour. I guess the preachers complaining about the new carry law don't care about church buses.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/06/14 - 06:54 pm
Long and winding road

I-20 can be a long road... but if you only travel a short distance... it can be a short road.

I used to take I-95 going to North Richmond, but some tell us North Richmond is right off of I-20... Mayhem?

corgimom
corgimom 06/06/14 - 08:14 pm
I wouldn't park anything

I wouldn't park anything along Gordon Highway at any point and expect it to be there when I got back.

corgimom
corgimom 06/06/14 - 08:15 pm
boodroe, they are given

boodroe, they are given money, every tour bus (like the country singers, rock singers, etc) have guns aboard.

Sometimes there are thousands of dollars on those buses.

Upscale addiction treatment facility opens

The facility off Bennock Mill Road is a cutting-edge residential addiction treatment facility, combining evidence-based treatment and wellness approaches like diet and personalized exercise ...