Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

New e-mail scam refers to court proceedings

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:36 PM
Last updated 10:33 PM

Another e-mail scam is circulating, this one purporting to be from a judicial source, according to Georgia’s Administrative Office of the Courts.

The e-mails reportedly inform recipients that they are to appear in court and warn that a judge will hear their case regardless of their attendance. An attachment might contain a virus or other malware.

So far, no one has reported getting the e-mail in the Augusta Judicial Circuit, said Tom Gunnels, trial court administrator for the circuit. There were some reports earlier this year of bogus juror summonses.

Any written communication with the courts is sent through the mail, Gunnels said.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/29/14 - 03:43 am
If I may add some additional & wider assistance

For a large list of email scams, lies or just to verify the authenticity of something you got in the Email

Checkout: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/

"Hoax-Slayer is dedicated to debunking email hoaxes, thwarting Internet scammers, combating spam, and educating web users about email and Internet security issues. Hoax-Slayer allows Internet users to check the veracity of common email hoaxes and aims to counteract criminal activity by publishing information about common types of Internet scams. Hoax-Slayer also includes anti-spam tips, computer and email security information, articles about true email forwards, and much more."

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/29/14 - 04:52 am
Court Sending Email

With the screen names many have it would be pretty funny for a court to be emailing something to a weird name @Hotmail.com.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 05/29/14 - 05:47 am
Falling for this scam

How could anyone fall for this?? If you were arrested, you'd know that they don't get email addresses when booked. If you get a traffic citation, and the officer didn't ask for your email address, then how would the courts get it? Finally, if you get an email from a court, and you know you weren't arrested, why even respond. The courts don't notify you via email or phone call that you are required to appear in court. They still do it the old fashioned way: subpoena. If you are truly worried about getting an email like this, call the court that supposedly sent it.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 05/29/14 - 06:19 am
I actually got probably the

I actually got probably the most honest email I ever received the other day. It was from spam@mortgageinformation.com. It was almost a coffee through the nose moment.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 05/29/14 - 06:21 am
Didn't realize it would

Didn't realize it would highlight it. I wouldn't recommend clicking on it.

corgimom
corgimom 05/29/14 - 04:32 pm
I still get emails from women

I still get emails from women that want to meet me.

I'm a female.

gargoyle
gargoyle 05/29/14 - 10:20 pm
My dream is to go totally

My dream is to go totally analog when I retire. If somebody wants me they will have to know my home phone or write a letter or god forbid drop by and talk to me face to face . Just tend my hobbies and wait on mailbox money.

Columbia County approves rezoning plan, grants waivers

Columbia County School Board trustees approved a massive school rezoning plan that could affect up to 200 Greenbrier High School students who will be moved to the Lakeside High School zone.