Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Shots fired in Hephzibah neighborhood

Saturday, May 24, 2014 9:34 PM
Last updated 11:48 PM

A resident says someone fired several shots while driving through a Hephzibah neighbor­hood early Saturday.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Richmond County sheriff’s deputies were dispatched about 2:50 a.m. to Cougar Drive at Turkey Trail Drive. A man told deputies that he heard shots being fired near his home and walked outside.

He said he saw a green Chev­rolet Bla­zer with two heavyset white males, and the passenger was waving a gray revolver out of the window and fired about six shots into the air as they drove by, the police report said.

The SUV was last seen driving toward Plantation Road. The witness said he believes a white Chevrolet Yukon with front-end damage might have also been involved in the shooting.

Deputies were unable to locate any shell casings or damaged property.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/25/14 - 07:13 am
yeah-huh Let me walk thru this

I got to thinking about this....

The Homeowner heard shots being fired near his home and walked outside.

Homeowner is able to see 2 fat white guys in leaving in a SUV, waving a GRAY colored Revolver and firing 6 more shoots as they left.

However, Revolvers with the exception of very small calibers, only hold 6 shots or less.

A 22cal pistol would be extremely hard to hear indoors when fired outside. Unless fired directly outside a window with a person in the same room to hear.

So we have a few possibilities:

1# these 2 dudes have speed loaders and decided it was safe enough to take their time to reload and do it again. Which does not make it a Drive by shooting, but a pair of Bubba's popping off on Memorial Day.

Or,

2# the Homeowner misheard, miscounted or embellished the story.

I am leading towards a mix of 1 & 2.

BTW: If this story is true I'd be looking for either a 38/357Mag
Taurus 605 series or a S&W J frame.

Both come in a Gray as cast color.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/25/14 - 12:41 pm
Oh yeh, the RCSO responds to

Oh yeh, the RCSO responds to "heard shots" and "last seen driving" but wouldn't respond to "hit my house and car" and "I know who did it and I have witnesses".

Must have been a black guy that called it in.

like-it-is
like-it-is 05/25/14 - 01:57 pm
What??

Nocnoc, OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rebellious
20514
rebellious 05/26/14 - 01:50 am
Shots Fired

Can really get your attention. Been there, done that and find it comforting to have weaponry nearby when that does happen. Clearly, what goes up must come down. Many years ago, while at the fall carnival in Hephzibah (oh yeah, back when Hephzibah did such a thing), my wife with child at side shrieked as if bitten by a wasp or bee. Examination revealed a red welt under her jeans in the derrière. She swore she had been shot. I backtracked her steps and found the .22 slug laying on the ground. We told authorities, but everyone realized the bullets velocity was so low as to having to be fired from quite a distance and striking her on the downside of the trajectory. Yet had it fallen 12 inches to the right, could have struck our child. I encourage those who shoot to be aware of backdrop when shooting horizontal, and range when shooting at vertical trajectory. This applies when shooting squirrel. Never underestimate the range of a long gun.

rebellious
20514
rebellious 05/26/14 - 01:50 am
Shots Fired

Darby
Darby 05/26/14 - 01:52 am
"Deputies were unable to locate any

shell casings or damaged property."

What!? A revolver that didn't leave shell casings? How strange!

rebellious
20514
rebellious 05/26/14 - 01:55 am
BOLO

For 2 fat white guys with stainless handgun driving a raggedie Yukon. I can round up 12 suspects in 15 minutes, and they will all have an alibi. Betcha some beverage alcohol was involved.

rebellious
20514
rebellious 05/26/14 - 01:57 am
Darby

Revolvers don't "spit out" shell casings, but then I am sure you knew that!

Darby
Darby 05/26/14 - 04:36 pm
Rebellious

Guess I might need to sharpen my sarcasm skills.

rebellious
20514
rebellious 05/27/14 - 10:36 am
Darby

I blame the Evelyn Wood speedreading technique I use.

Darby
Darby 05/27/14 - 03:49 pm
You now, Rebellious...

I took that course back in the day. Don't think that I would ever be sought out as an example of one the great success stories for the product.

I think there may be some sort of blockage between my eyes and my brain.