Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Paine College 'person of interest' surrenders

Thursday, May 8, 2014 1:54 PM
Last updated 8:33 PM

A person of interest in the first of four shootings on and near the Paine College campus turned himself in to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday, Capt. Calvin Chew confirmed.

Christopher Jackson, 26, of Laurel Street, was being sought as a person of interest in a shooting around 4:45 p.m. Sunday in Paine’s Gray Hall.

Two drive-by shootings followed at Jackson’s home within several hours Monday morning. Another shooting happened soon after in Haygood-Holsey Hall on campus. JaJuan Baker, 21, of Wilmington, N.C., was critically wounded in the final shooting, suffering a gunshot wound to the head. Another student, Xavier Baker, 20, of DeKalb County, was charged in the Haygood-Holsey Hall shooting.

On Wednesday, Sheriff Richard Roundtree said the shootings might have stemmed from a drug deal gone wrong.

Pops
Pops 05/08/14 - 02:52 pm
Ah...the most interesting man in Augusta....

stay thuggish my friends.........

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/08/14 - 03:07 pm
Man Paine has been getting so

Man Paine has been getting so much bad press the last few years that now I am becoming incredulous. Then "rumors" the students are bad, they teach flat young earth creationism, the faculty seducing students, their business classes are filled with "communist", etc.. It makes me wonder is their some racist sentiments. I think that smells like horse manure-I say none of the above-besides it makes no sense. From what I've read all their SACS issues are financial-nothing wrong with their teaching and even though it is a methodist school they can't teach creationism SACS would not allow that-so that rumor in patently false. I doubt there is a single communist on Paine campus-course across the street at GRU there is a bunch of em-Chinese exchange students-LOL. This is a historic black college with a long local history-people are so supportive of ASU and MCG now GRU they may miss Paine. The same kind of incident could have happened at GRU-probably a Med student with a meth lab to help with the "high" cost of their education. LOL.

JRC2024
JRC2024 05/08/14 - 11:31 pm
He does not look like he

He does not look like he would be a student. Love the tats on the neck-HA HA not. Silly looking.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/09/14 - 07:57 am
Never judge a book by it's cover..

Some of the nicest people I know have lots of very visible tattoos.

Maybe this guy is a student too.

Dseven
Dseven 05/09/14 - 09:48 am
When I first noticed.

When I first noticed this article, I thought that this individual was being singled out for some sort of acolade from the college. Just for a split second, I thought... he looks a bit rough, but you can't judge a book by it's cover, and good for him. Sadly, my initial thought was wrong. I wish it would have been right.

bohica
bohica 05/09/14 - 10:04 am
This guy has been in the

This guy has been in the paper before, or someone with the same tats.
Heres your sign.

jimmymac
jimmymac 05/09/14 - 05:42 pm
APPEARANCE

Why is it most of the miscreants causing mayhem have the same dreds and tats as part of their appearance?

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 05/09/14 - 10:23 pm
I've lost track of all these shootings......

It's just one after another.

If I was a parent with a son or daughter at Paine, I'm not sure I'd be sleeping too well at the moment.