Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Paine cancels prayer vigil, cuts short news conference

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:42 AM
Last updated 6:34 PM

A Paine official told reporters at this morning’s news conference that the school had no information to share and abruptly ended the presentation. A noon prayer vigil scheduled today has also been canceled.

Back | Next
Brandon Brown, the senior vice president for institution advancement, holds a brief news conference.  JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF
JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF

Paine had announced the 10 a.m. press briefing after a student was shot and critically wounded Monday in a campus building. Two other students were injured the day before in a shooting in a campus dorm.

Leadra Collins, coordinator of Institutional Advancement Operations, appeared before waiting news media about 10:20 a.m. to say there were “new developments” in the case, and the school would not comment at this time.

Xavier Cooper, of Augusta, was booked Monday night with charges of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm on school grounds in connection with the shooting earlier in the day. He remains in the Richmond County jail.

grinder48
1957
grinder48 05/06/14 - 11:10 am
Brilliant

Brilliant public relations move ... announce a press briefing for 10 AM, keep everyone waiting until 10:20 before showing up, only to announce you have nothing to say. No wonder this institution has had more than it's share of financial woes with people this this running the show ...

shamrock
shamrock 05/06/14 - 12:01 pm
No Prayer??

I guess no one needed any prayer, so that was cancelled??

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/06/14 - 01:29 pm
I can see being hesitant to

I can see being hesitant to release too much from an active investigation, just reassure everyone everything is OK and under investigation, but why cancel the prayer vigil for the critically injured student? Is there still concerns of more violence? Really odd-I guess the faculty and students could still go to their on-campus chapel and pray on their own volition after classes. It is a religious affiliated college-I would think they would encourage them to go to chapel and pray daily.

corgimom
corgimom 05/06/14 - 02:10 pm
Bizkit, I think so, nothing

Bizkit, I think so, nothing else would make sense. (re: more violence)

corgimom
corgimom 05/06/14 - 02:11 pm
I see this as the final blow

I see this as the final blow that will end Paine.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/06/14 - 03:45 pm
I hope not Corgi, even though

I hope not Corgi, even though Paine gets a bad rep (and it seems warranted from news reports) and is a historic black college-it does have other ethnicities attending-and to my point acts like a community college to help students who are not ready for college or give opportunity to bright students who have little chance of college. It can be a stepping stone to GRU. Two faculty members were students of a friend of mine and were top notch from what he says, but I don't see their names there. I knew several people there but they are there no more. I discovered one has moved out of state. The place definitely has a lot of turnover of faculty for some reason-I don't know if that is a SACS issue or not. I think all their SACS issues were financial. Dang it-no inside information from someone on staff or faculty to tell what is really going on.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/07/14 - 06:46 am
Could it be possible the

Could it be possible the family of the student requested no prayer vigil? I'm just thinking stranger things have happened and maybe they are not religious people and don't want anyone praying to them.

It's just a thought? I can't imagine anyone not wanting prayers lifted up but not everyone believes in prayer.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.