Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta couple robbed at gunpoint

Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:09 PM
Last updated 7:28 PM

The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is looking for two men who they say robbed and Augusta couple at gunpoint late Friday.

According to an incident report, Santonio Ray, 31, and his girlfriend, Jennifer Johnson, 30, were at their Lumpkin Road home when two unknown black men knocked on the front door.

One of the suspects asked to buy marijuana from Ray, but Ray told him that he doesn’t sell the drug. The suspect then pulled out what appeared to be a .380-caliber semi-automatic hand gun and pointed it at Ray’s chest, ordering him to get down on the floor.

One suspect pistol-whipped Ray, causing a 2-inch laceration on the top of his head, according to the report. Ray’s injuries will require stitches.

The men ransacked the house while asking for money several times, the report said, and one of the men forced Johnson into a bathroom with a blanket over her head. They then stole about $200 from her purse.

Ray chased the suspects as they left the scene, later watching them leave the neighborhood in a gold 1990s-model Cadillac. The suspects were last seen fleeing toward Arcadia Drive.

Both suspects are estimated to be between the ages of 25 and 30, about 6 feet tall and weigh about 170. Both wore black hooded sweatshirts and black pants. One man is described as having a full beard and a bald head. The other suspect has no facial hair and a short haircut.

corgimom
corgimom 04/26/14 - 07:06 pm
Southside is getting to be

Southside is getting to be Augusta's newest ghetto. Thank God I'm out of there.

jimmymac
jimmymac 04/26/14 - 08:08 pm
SHAME

It's a shame you're not safe from thugs in your own home. It's too bad many would rather steal for a living.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/26/14 - 09:13 pm
Um

Don't answer the door unless you know who it is?

The Mick
The Mick 04/26/14 - 09:54 pm
I am sure this will get a

I am sure this will get a profiling debate started up...but wearing a hooded sweatshirt in Georgia after March should be probable cause for a stop. I mean there are only two reasons you wear a hoodie in the spring/summer in the south: 1) You are up to no good or 2) You are challenged in some way and probably need somebody to stop you to give you some assistance. Anyway, hope RCSO catches them and the victims are OK.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/26/14 - 11:11 pm
+2 Living the dream. I live

+2 Living the dream.

I live in South Richmond County. Here is my rule:

If the doorbell rings, or someone knocks on the door.....I answer the door with a gun in my hand and held behind my back. I'm sorry, but that is just the way it is out here nowadays.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/26/14 - 11:54 pm
Ya'll are getting

Ya'll are getting warmer....Arcadia Drive...of course that's where they went...and it's not getting to be a ghetto...southside has had ghetto characters and characteristics since at least 1999. If the Lumpkin Road address wasn't a place selling mary jane, it's likely that another within the same block is. Close proximity to plenty of customers. It has been an endless battle trying to keep the smell of pot and worse away from our children.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/27/14 - 07:38 am
The Mick

I point that out quite often, and yes, I get my share of flack for it. I see it as a practical matter, as hoodies are a VERY common denominator among criminals.

corgimom
corgimom 04/27/14 - 07:45 am
The Mick- no, it's all about

The Mick- no, it's all about choice #1.

Up to no good.

Choice #2 doesn't apply.

edcushman
edcushman 04/27/14 - 08:16 am
" Southside is getting to be

" Southside is getting to be Augusta's newest ghetto. Thank God I'm out of there"
More of the rewards of the Great Society. Thank you liberals, democrats and black leaders.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/27/14 - 08:19 am
The thugs can have it .

Any questions now, why our families and In-laws sold (not rented)
properties in the Butler, to the Augusta Tech area?

Why their well maintained homes sold for less they cost 25+ years ago?

Counting my side and my In-laws side that amounted to 9 homes, just in this area.

However you slice it.....
It was made easier by the promoted and supported idea of
Section 8'ing by certain political groups.

BTW: Not all S8's are bad.
Most just need to be properly instructed on Social Responsibilities and expectations in Middle Class Communities prior to placement.

Airman
Airman 04/27/14 - 08:40 am
Mick and Hoodies

The temps are not normal for this time of year, no I do not need help, I am not a thug but I do like to be comfortable in 50 degree weather

bclicious
bclicious 04/27/14 - 09:06 am
It's called . . .

It's called get a Gun, and use common sense.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/27/14 - 11:00 am
Just Shoot Through The Door

When the doorbell rings late at night, just shoot through the door. The heck with it.

KSL
KSL 04/27/14 - 11:48 am
Who keeps $200 in a purse,

Who keeps $200 in a purse, mat home? And I have other questions.

rebellious
20770
rebellious 04/27/14 - 03:44 pm
Don't let

The screen door hit ya where the good Lord split cha!

And like Dichotomy, if you ring my doorbell at night it means you have killed my dog. And themselves grounds for shooting?

But I ain't going now here's...

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 04/28/14 - 09:06 am
You're Asking A Lot

You're asking a lot NocNoc -- you're asking for the Augusta Housing Authority to actually police their clients. They don't !! A S8'ter tried to set fire to a house, so that she, her boyfriend, and her four kids could get a bigger place, since boyfriend decided to "move in". Instead of kicking her to the street, they actually gave her a BIGGER house. Our tax dollars, as 'dichotomy' says - livin' the dream. This story reminds me that I have to renew my gun license this week...

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 04/28/14 - 09:08 am
Just got to ask...

Why would you open the door to them in the first place?

djkillaran
djkillaran 04/28/14 - 10:41 am
Home Security?

If I go to the door late at night its not going to be empty handed.

edcushman
edcushman 04/28/14 - 11:43 am
"This story reminds me that I

"This story reminds me that I have to renew my gun license this week..."
Hey thanks for reminding me

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/28/14 - 11:52 am
DON'T need a Gun lic. in GA

to have a firearm in your house or car.

Just a Concealed Carry permit to carry a pistol on your person in public.

Long arms (rifles & shotguns) legally can be carried on Broad St. under GA Law.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 04/28/14 - 12:53 pm
No Charge...

@edcushman - no charge. Glad to remind you. @nocnoc - you are correct. I'm still holding out for next year's legislative session. I want us (GA) to modify our rules, such that we take a course, and then can have reciprocity between GA and SC.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/28/14 - 01:57 pm
RCSO?

They should have called the RCSO, they have guns and could have been there in half an hour or so.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/28/14 - 03:19 pm
Last time I called when I was

Last time I called when I was shot at it was quicker than that, Brad. It took 20 minutes. Busy area. Thankfully, only ended up with a nicked garden decoration and a broken window that time.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/28/14 - 05:07 pm
RCSO Response Time out here on Brown Rd.

After telling the 911 operator I had a 12Ga and a spotlight and was looking for the Yard Prowler / Car Burglar.

WOW !!!
I had a RCSO patrol car in my yard in <6 Mins.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/29/14 - 10:17 pm
That's great to hear, nocnoc,

That's great to hear, nocnoc, thanks for sharing.