Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta police charge familiar scam suspect in latest incidents

Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:30 AM
Last updated 11:36 PM

A well-known Augusta scam artist charged at least seven times since 2010 with plying strangers with hard-luck stories, then taking their money, is behind bars again.

Back | Next
DE  Richmond County jail
Richmond County jail
DE

Police said Eva Carrol Smith, 47, was arrested Thursday, this time suspected of snatching money from a woman on Broad Street Wednesday after telling her not only had she been locked out of her car, but was pregnant with twins.

In recent years Smith has been often charged with misdemeanor theft by deception, mostly in incidents in the medical district and downtown.

In most cases, judges sentence her to probation and fines, but in two of the cases she was sentenced to four months’ confinement.

On Thursday, however, she was charged with felony by sudden chance because, police say,she grabbed money and ran.

According to deputies, Smith approached a 25-year-old Augusta woman outside Pizza Joint, 1245 Broad St., about 11 a.m. Wednesday and said she had locked her keys in her car and was pregnant with twins.

The 25-year-old told police she felt sorry for the woman, who called herself “Caroline,” and so allowed her to use her phone.

Police said the woman then drove Smith to a nearby gas station and got $80 out to pay the locksmith. When the driver insisted on paying the locksmith and not giving the money straight to Smith, police said, Smith took the money from the car’s console and ran away.

Smith was captured on surveillance video in the gas station, giving police a picture to post on social media with a warning against scams.

Also on Wednesday, Smith tried to get sympathy and money from a Columbia County deputy’s wife. Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Lewis Blanchard said the woman did not fall for the scam and only later notified police at her husband’s advice.

On Thursday morning, stories began filtering into the sheriff’s office again that a woman “pregnant with twins” was looking for rides and money near the Kroger on 15th Street.

A person told police she didn’t give Smith money but did give her a ride to a nearby motel. Blanchard said police saturated the area and took soon took Smith into custody.

Pregnancy is just one of the stories Smith uses to gain sympathy, rides and money from good Samaritans in the downtown area.

“Officer Webb,” a relative of Smith who works at the sheriff’s office, is another repeated story. Smith often uses the victim’s phone to call Webb, who promises to reward or repay the victim if he lends Smith money. On calling the sheriff’s office, however, the victim learns that he has been duped and that Webb doesn’t exist.

Pops
Pops 04/24/14 - 10:07 am
Maybe when they expand the bus service

and make it free, she can take her act on the road......National Hills, Augusta Exchange, Augusta Mall.......

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/24/14 - 10:08 am
This is a predator

She needs to be handled as such. One day she's going to hurt somebody with her snatch and grab routine and the responsibility will rest with the judges who slap her hand and turn her loose on us yet again.

Put her in jail for years and years.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 04/24/14 - 10:54 am
What makes this woman's

What makes this woman's actions so bad is not only her stealing but the fact that it makes people reluctant to help someone who is truly in need because they are fearful of a scam.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/24/14 - 10:58 am
Scam and snatch

Now we know what she looks like and she ought to, when found, end up behind bars for a lengthy time to teach her what's right and wrong. She apparently has not caught on yet.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/24/14 - 11:00 am
The justice system will never

The justice system will never stop her. They have no vested interests in protecting the public. Repeat criminals like this keep them in business and drawing the good salaries. They also keep the contract probation companies in business and consequently the kickbacks and payoffs coming in. Somebody needs to just shoot this woman and claim they were stopping a robbery in progress. I would never vote to convict them if they were charged.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/24/14 - 12:19 pm
Truly, you're only partly

Truly, you're only partly right...now WE know what she looks like, but you're only talking about the few of us who bothered to check the story and the pictures. Plenty of other folk who still have no idea.
I'm planning on going down there Saturday evening, so I'll keep my eyes peeled!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 04/24/14 - 03:39 pm
Scoopdedoop hit the nail on

Scoopdedoop hit the nail on the head. This is the saddest part of this story. Good hearted people will be reluctant to help people truly in need. This woman has stolen from these people who won't be helped in the future.

arw0329
arw0329 04/24/14 - 03:42 pm
I was a victim of the lady

I was a victim of the lady downtown a few weeks ago. I was a naive victim of her con and she gained $180 of my hard earned money. It is devastating how she could look myself and my 2 children in our faces and take food out of their mouths. I'm supporting two boys on waitress pay and prayer and she makes a living based on lies and taking advantage of the kindness of others. I honestly wish I could tell this deceitful woman how her disgusting behavior affected my life and financial situation. Or maybe just smile at her BC she might just get what she deserves.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/24/14 - 05:15 pm
Good ole

obama democrat. As her leader is, she is loaded with bull s--t.

gargoyle
gargoyle 04/24/14 - 06:06 pm
I remember her trying the

I remember her trying the same scam claiming keys locked in her car must have been 10 years ago. At the time she working the K-Mart Gordon Hwy area. My wife had her try the I'm out of gas and gotta get home to my kids routine around 2007 that was in the MCG area. Guess she moved her business to the CBD as of late, She's quite infamous with the call to her friend on the police force.

csraguy
csraguy 04/24/14 - 10:47 pm
arw0329

Depending on the circumstances with your situation, you need to contact the RCSO, 706-821-1080 and file a report. She is in custody at this time and any information to help keep her there will assist in preventing others from becoming victims.

unapologetik
unapologetik 04/25/14 - 02:03 am
@pops response is the only

@pops response is the only not thought out. It really included "suggestions"...don't do what the media does "POPS". Don't give suggestions to get better at their "job". Stop them before encouraging them.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/25/14 - 07:56 am
OK the 2, 3, 4, 5+, .... chances have all failed

Maybe it is time to see some serious jail time with Community Road Service Cleanup for a few years.

Airman
Airman 04/25/14 - 08:23 am
arw0329

"maybe just smile at her BC she might just get what she deserves." The best answer, she may not get anything but a slap on the hand in this world but she does have to answer to the Father in Heaven one day, and that will be HELL to pay. Oh look I made a punny.

BamaMan
BamaMan 04/25/14 - 08:38 am
Lifer

My guess is we're paying for her house, food, clothes, phone, hair, nails, beer, cigs, lottery tickets, yada yada yada too.

Little Old Lady
Little Old Lady 04/25/14 - 09:07 am
My answer to scammers

My reply to those who approach me anywhere with a tale is, "Oh you poor thing, I will call the police. They will help you." You should see how fast they take off.

dsterling9
dsterling9 04/25/14 - 09:37 am
HABITUAL CRIMINAL

This woman is a habitual offender and should be placed in prison or a mental institute where she cannot commit another crime.

I agree with 'Little Old Lady'...there are too many in the world out to hurt others. Best to call the police and let them handle it. In most cases you will not have to call. Just mentioning calling and they leave.

lgr
lgr 04/25/14 - 09:43 am
scam

i ran into her when my office was on jones street. i told her i had no cash and could not leave my office. she wanted me to call her boss at GRU that time. i told her i had a hammer to break that window, she declined the use of the hammer

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/25/14 - 10:00 am
Like Bama said

Chances are we are already supporting her with social benefits, so lock her up for a good long while. It likely wouldn't cost us any more.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/25/14 - 10:26 pm
Liar, liar, pants on fire!!

Worthless grifter.

happychimer
happychimer 04/28/14 - 12:21 pm
I think she tried to scam me

I think she tried to scam me last year. I was in the Big Lot parking getting into my car. I am always aware of my surroundings, but she appeared out of nowhere. there she was before I could get all the way in my car. She asked me if I could give her cab money to get home because she is diabetic and needed her insulin. I am diabetic and always keep a snack with me, so I gave her half of a banana and told her I did not have any money, but I am diabetic and understand. I closed my door and locked it. Later I thought about what happened. she was trying to scam me. I take pills for diabetes. Insulin lowers blood sugar. Food raises blood sugar. I don't know much about taking insulin, but I think she would have to eat and take insulin.