Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Waynesboro gun dealer pleads not guilty to illegally selling firearms

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:16 PM
Last updated 9:42 PM

A licensed firearms dealer pleaded not guilty Wednesday to illegally selling weapons.

Sandy Hodson
Database Reporter
E-mail | 706-823-3226

William Debow is named in a 38-count criminal indictment accusing him of knowingly selling weapons to a convicted felon and to people who do not reside in Georgia.

According to an affidavit filed by Jason Stricklin, an agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Debow investigation began in October.

During the execution of a search warrant Oct. 16 at the home of a convicted felon, agents found 26 weapons and 7,000 rounds of ammunition. One of the weapons was a 50-caliber rifle.

It is a violation of state and federal law for a convicted felon to possess a gun.

The felon told agents that he bought most of the weapons from Debow at Ponderosa Trading Co. in Waynesboro. Debow, according to the felon, told him to bring in his mother so they could fill out the paperwork in her name, Stricklin wrote.

But at other times Debow didn’t file any paper work, according to Stricklin’s affidavit. Agents discovered the 50-caliber rifle was initially sold to someone else, who sold it to Debow, who then sold it to the felon without filing any of the necessary paperwork for either transaction, Stricklin wrote.

Debow is free on a $100,000 bond pending trial.

WarrenvilleRepublican
WarrenvilleRepublican 04/23/14 - 06:53 pm
Who To Believe?

Obviously we don't have all the information, but it seems like the entire case is built on the testimony of a convicted felon who was illegally in possesion of firearms and ammunition. Sure seems like the gun dealer is the criminal here doesn't it?

SRD
SRD 04/23/14 - 07:39 pm
Believe

I'd say this is far from over. They have been building a case against this guy for quite awhile and I'd say there will be more more to come. But we are all innocent until proven guilty.

localguy55
localguy55 04/24/14 - 07:19 am
when it comes to having a FFL

when it comes to having a FFL license, you can't afford to screw around with any shady sales. All it will bring are the Feds. to your door step.

The Feds. already have FFL holders in their sights so any person holding that license should take extra cautions in sales. I am not sure what wet on here but I hope he is not guilty of the charges.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 04/24/14 - 11:54 am
That Explains It

Southeastern Armory (Friedmans/Windsor) just started announcing that they have "merged" with Ponderosa Trading Company. If found guilty, then at least a small arms pipeline to felons, has been cut. Sad. Also, visit Ponderosa's FB page.

bdouglas
bdouglas 04/24/14 - 01:22 pm
I've never done business with

I've never done business with the guy myself, but have had plenty of folks tell me about this place when I was mentioning looking at handguns at one point. People would tell me about the place and I'd say I'm an SC resident so I can't buy a handgun in GA. They would quickly respond saying "Oh, he can still get you one and take care of all that..." I assumed that meant shipping to an FFL in SC, which I didn't really want to deal with to save just a few dollars, but I guess that might not have been what they meant after all...

2 Greenbrier students charged with 'playing chicken' Wednesday

Two Greenbrier High School students, one a member of the Wolfpack's state champion baseball team, were arrested Wednesday on charges of "playing chicken" in front of Greenbrier Middle.