Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man swings at deputy, falls into cruiser

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:45 PM
Last updated 10:07 PM

A man found with drugs in his possession was injured Monday night when he fell face-first into a police cruiser while trying to strike an officer, police said.

Geiger  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Geiger

Richmond County sher­iff’s Deputy Jacob Dorn was conducting a business check at Augusta Mart, 1713 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., about 11 p.m. Monday when he saw Donavan Tikare Geiger, 26, of Johnson Avenue, suddenly change directions to avoid him, according to reports.

Dorn patted down the suspect after he saw a bulge in his pocket and found cash and 4.5 grams of crack cocaine, the report said. Geiger tried to run but Dorn grabbed his coat and stopped him.

Geiger then tried to punch the deputy with his fist but lost his footing in the mud and fell, striking his face on the passenger side of the police cruiser, the report said. The impact left a large dent in the passenger door, the report said.

After being treated for injuries at the scene, Geiger was booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of obstruction of a law enforcement officer, possession of cocaine with intent to distribute and interference with government property. He also had an active state bench warrant.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/08/14 - 01:30 pm
Durn.....lost his

Durn.....lost his footing.....heh heh heh. Yep, I'll just bet he did. Don't forget to add the charge for denting the police car. Another knothead for the statistics. +1 Living the dream. Nice job officer.

raul
raul 04/08/14 - 01:44 pm
Mud does serve a purpose. Heh

Mud does serve a purpose. Heh Heh.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/08/14 - 02:00 pm
Mud

Yeah, the rain that shut down the practice round served a noble purpose, after all.

Butterman
Butterman 04/08/14 - 02:02 pm
Bulge

Is that bulge in your pants cash and crack cocaine, or are you just happy to see me?

qtinbell
qtinbell 04/08/14 - 02:16 pm
Possession Won't Stick!

Good he got this stuff off the streets, but he had not the probable cause nor the reasonable suspicion that a crime occurred/is occurring. Probable cause is easy: the officer must possess sufficiently trustworthy facts to believe that a crime has been committed. Changing directions (maybe he's allergic to cops!) or having a bulge in one's pockets (Isn't that what pockets sre for?) is not a trustworthy fact.

Reasonable suspicion means that the officer has sufficient knowledge to believe that criminal activity is at hand. This level of knowledge is less than that of probable cause. To possess either probable cause or reasonable suspicion, an officer must be able to cite specific articulable facts to warrant the intrusion. Lithmus test: The officer needed to know exeactly what the person did before he searched him!!!! HE DID NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THIS GENTLEMAN HAD BEFORE HE DID THE SEARCH.

Now the 4th amendment does not preclude an officer from stopping and questioning this person if he had suspicions or "patrolman's intuition." It also doesn't require the person stopped to answer the officer's questions!

I know some of you current/retired cops and law enforcement hawks are gonna jump all over this based on your experience, but everything that happened wasn't always done right. Know the law!

Bottomline: We got a bad guy (and bad stuff) off the streets. But we can't ignore the fact that the process of getting to that discovery was flawed.

charlie marlow
charlie marlow 04/08/14 - 03:27 pm
Due Process Probably Won't Matter

qtinbell,

This will never make it far enough for any of that to matter. He'll be bullied into a plea agreement and wave his right to trial. Bonus points if he has priors! Nothing like the threat of incredibly long prison sentences to scare people into giving up their rights!

This seems like as good a place as any to remind everyone to not talk to the cops.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/08/14 - 03:34 pm
Yea, his problem is what

Yea, his problem is what happened after the stop; which will get him more time than simple possession.

For the record, I do not support the tactics either, even though there was a good outcome. I would be highly ticked off if stopped the same way.

triscuit
triscuit 04/08/14 - 03:38 pm
Stick this picture next to

Stick this picture next to STUPID in the dictionary.

qtinbell
qtinbell 04/08/14 - 03:47 pm
C-Marlowe & IAD1, I agree

C-Marlowe & IAD1,

I agree with both of you.

Clearly we're not on the bad guys' side either. No law-abiding citizen should be stopped and searched without PC of RS. No cars should be searched without the same, i.e. something illegal in plain sight. When a law enforcement officer asks me if he can search my car, I say no-- not required to let him. I will not forfeit my rights in order for them to make a lucky bust.

charlie marlow
charlie marlow 04/08/14 - 04:05 pm
Three sentences to remember when dealing with cops

Am I free to go?

I do not consent to any searches of myself or my property.

I am invoking my Fifth Amendment rights.

sand gnat
sand gnat 04/08/14 - 04:27 pm
Three answers

1. No
2. Tough
3. Good for you

Gage Creed
19397
Gage Creed 04/08/14 - 05:12 pm
Lot's of jailhouse lawyers

Lot's of jailhouse lawyers today... Remember Jesse Jr......

Gage Creed
19397
Gage Creed 04/08/14 - 05:35 pm
too bad there wasn't mud on

too bad there wasn't mud on the other side of the cruiser for this "gentleman" to slip in...

MrClen1944
MrClen1944 04/08/14 - 05:38 pm
sand gnat I love it.

sand gnat

I love it.

unapologetik
unapologetik 04/08/14 - 05:45 pm
Funny how the posts that

Funny how the posts that outilne citizen rights are the ones with the most dislikes. Seems to me a lot of the readers on this site believe in their rights and not the rights of others. He had no real probable cause to search this guy. I mean, I'm glad he got a little dope off the streets..but he went about it wrong.

corgimom
corgimom 04/08/14 - 07:23 pm
qtinbell, so what if he was

qtinbell, so what if he was on probation or parole, and had his 4th amendment rights revoked?

Because Donovan Geiger had an active warrant, the officer had every right to stop him right then and there, pat him down, and arrest him on the spot.

Since you weren't there, and are basing your legal expertise on a condensed news story that doesn't list all the facts, perhaps you should withhold your judgment.

Pops
Pops 04/08/14 - 07:57 pm
If ya'll don't like the way this

story unfolded, just wait awhile when we read about Mr. Geiger in his future endeavors...you know....

Young Fred
20975
Young Fred 04/08/14 - 10:57 pm
youngsters nowadays

can just about justify anything. Reminds me of myself back in the day!

Sometimes, sometimes, we're just wrong.

Young Fred
20975
Young Fred 04/09/14 - 12:47 am
daaang!

The dude has not even washed his hair!

geecheeriverman
geecheeriverman 04/09/14 - 04:13 am
AMEN

cormigom, I agree with you. These bleeding heart liberals need to get a life! Sad thing about this is, he will probably be out in time to see the first pairing on Thursday.

iaaffg
iaaffg 04/09/14 - 06:09 am
i'm having a hard time

i'm having a hard time believing those injuries displayed in the photo came from his face smashing into a car door. doesn't make sense. his face would be a lot more messed up if his whole face left a big dent in a car door. not that i'm saying he is innocent, just tired of pee on the leg and they call it rain.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/09/14 - 06:44 am
heh heh

Bang that ole head into the car next time too...slow learner.

qtinbell
qtinbell 04/09/14 - 06:49 am
Corgimom, Everyone on here

Corgimom,

Everyone on here comments on the info at hand, what is in the article. That is also what you are doing. Based purely on what the article said at the time, the officer did not know this guy had a warrant; so, he had no cause to search him. The article said he did so because he changed direction and he saw a bulge in his pocket. Neither one of those things could possibly cue the officer that he had a warrant. Where does it say he got a call that the guy had a warrant?

Now if, as you say, we should witohold judgement until after ALL the facts are known, then you and everyone else who posts here should refrain from doing so.

That said, I think that it is understood that any commenter is basing his response on the info at hand, which could of course change when more facts are printed-- understood except by you.

qtinbell
qtinbell 04/09/14 - 06:58 am
"You gotta love someone who

"You gotta love someone who wants to lecture people about "citizens rights" of somebody who has an outstanding arrest warrant."

Really? You gotta love someone who doesn't understand that the outstanding warrant discovery should've come before the search and not afterwards. Everybody's entitled to the same "citizens' rights" until they are proven not worthy.

qtinbell
qtinbell 04/09/14 - 07:02 am
Last I checked, strict

Last I checked, strict adherence to the constitution was a conservative trait, not one of a "bleeding heart liberal." It's amazing what the uninformed will say.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 04/09/14 - 07:14 am
Didn't you know

CMom is more educated than the rest of us? Just ask her

qtinbell
qtinbell 04/09/14 - 09:41 am
What some on here call

What some on here call jailhouse law, I consider basic rights that all citizens should know, unless you think knowing the Bill of Rights of the constitution is jail lawyering.

I'd like to think that my posts are substantive and address issues that we as citizens need to be concerned about. I see others that toss out one-liners that have no value, not even in the sarcasm that they are trying to achieve.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/09/14 - 09:43 am
qtinbell

Some folks are too blind to see that what happened here is the equivalent of "zee papers please". Amazing that many don't realize that when they are willing to give up the rights of the accused, they are giving away their own.

"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me."

I think that Niemöller quote is appropriate for this debate too. Those familiar with me know that I despise low life criminals as much as anyone, but to protect my own rights, I have to protect theirs.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 04/09/14 - 11:22 am
Almost Wet Myself Again

Mugshot popped up on the screen... Don't have a problem with this stop. See, the real problem here is that Donanvan had illegal drugs on him, plus a wad of cash. I can't understand he being out in public, knowing that there was a warrant out on him. I'd be playing the the real "low key" game at home.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/09/14 - 01:28 pm
These guys are right about our rights.

The question is whether this loser's right actually were, in fact, violated. We don't know what this LEO saw and what in his mind may have constituted probable cause. Maybe he recognized this guy and knew he was due for a jail stay. Maybe he saw something else that looked threatening. Maybe he made a mistake.

However, in that part of town as in several other areas, it's better to make that particular and easily remedied mistake than later on that evening to be loading the bodega cashier into a coroner's van.

Getting rousted and even arrested inappropriately is at least incredible annoying and inconvenient, but the converse could mean the preventible loss of someone's life.

Kettle donations rise in 2014