Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man pleads not guilty in vehicular homicide case

Friday, March 7, 2014 3:41 PM
Last updated 10:34 PM

A man facing a vehicular homicide charge in the death of an 8-year-old who was run over while catching a school bus pleaded not guilty Friday in Richmond County Superior Court.

Scott W. Hancock, 20, was arraigned on charges of homicide by vehicle and reckless driving. He is accused of failing to stop as a school bus stopped to pick up Jaidyn Williams on Belair Road on Dec. 9.

Jaidyn never regained consciousness and died Dec. 26.

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 03/07/14 - 03:57 pm
If he's not

If he's not guilty, I"m a fly on the wall. Take responsibility for your actions!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/07/14 - 04:48 pm
Everyone

has a right to a lowyer but the absurdity of most of them leaves me with a foul taste in my mouth.

Buckys Friend
Buckys Friend 03/07/14 - 05:38 pm
I have been driving for many,

I have been driving for many, many years with never any "brushes" with the law until last year. I was traveling down the road, toward my work, like I have done for 20 something years...school buses everywhere. Behind me, beside me, in front of me....so let me tell you people who simply want to crucify this young man, I don't know what happened in his case, I feel terrible for the child's family, but this is what happend to me.
a bus coming toward me suddenly put out his sign, stopped, and turned on his lights on top of his bus. I'm telling y'all, all at once, no lights on top of the bus first, just everything at once. I had no time to stop. There were no standing children, but one ran out of a house and was running toward the road. I'm just saying dont just assume that this young man just didn't care, or pay attention

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 03/07/14 - 05:51 pm
Article

I agree Bucky's Friend we do not know what happened and he deserves his day in court. This Article gives no details, if The Chronicle knew he plead not guilty they should have known if he was represented by an attorney and more details of the hearing. I am amazed at the sketchy details given at times.

Navy Gary
Navy Gary 03/07/14 - 06:04 pm
How...

How you judge others, so too shall you be judged...

my.voice
my.voice 03/09/14 - 10:42 am
I'm quite sure he was advised

I'm quite sure he was advised by his attorney to enter a plea of not guilty. From here a plea negotiation takes place. You'd do the same thing.

High court rules in probation case

Georgia's Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor violations.