Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Fatal shooting leads to 20-year prison sentence

Monday, Feb. 24, 2014 3:53 PM
Last updated 10:09 PM

An Augusta man who fired the bullet that killed a woman when he exchanged gunfire with another man pleaded guilty Monday to voluntary manslaughter.

Jabali J. Howard, 30, also pleaded guilty in Richmond County Superior Court to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Judge Michael N. Annis sentenced Howard to 20 years in prison, followed by five years on probation.

Assistant District Attorney Natalie Paine told the judge that 23-year-old Courtney Bell was one of the people at the Red Carpet Inn on April 30, 2013, who tried to intervene and help Howard’s girlfriend after Howard beat her. Howard left, but returned, and the fight with Charity Lloyd began again.

Bell, the prosecutor said, was on the balcony on the second floor when Howard exchanged gun shots with another man on the second floor. Bell was hit while trying to get away. The bullet that killed her was a .38-caliber, the same caliber as Howard’s gun. The other shooter had a different caliber weapon, Paine said.

Defense attorney Lyndsey Hix, of the public defender’s office, told the judge that Howard never intended to shoot Bell but that his chances of convincing a jury that he fired in self-defense would rest solely on his testimony. The other man was just as responsible but he was never charged, she said.

Howard’s supporters asked the judge for leniency, describing Howard as a kind, loving person. Howard apologized to Bell’s mother.

Bell’s homicide wasn’t Howard’s first criminal conviction. He was convicted in September 2010 of obstruction of a law enforcement officer and domestic violence battery. In June 2012, he was convicted of battery – reduced from the charge of aggravated battery. In December 2012, he was convicted of aggravated assault.

corgimom
corgimom 02/24/14 - 04:28 pm
Why these women run around

Why these women run around with these thugs and convicted criminals is just beyond me. OF COURSE bad things will happen to them, what do they think? OF COURSE the girlfriend would be beaten, he had already been convicted once of domestic violence and they never change.

There is something very wrong in our society that we are not teaching women to stay far, far away from violent criminals.

"Howard’s supporters asked the judge for leniency, describing Howard as a kind, loving person. "- (except when he was committing domestic violence battery, battery, and aggravated assault. My words.)

My idea of a kind, loving person doesn't include beating women and shooting at people.

corgimom
corgimom 02/24/14 - 04:33 pm
Jabali Howard is also wanted

Jabali Howard is also wanted by the state of NC for absconding while on parole/probation.

But NC won't be going after him. They'll know right where to find him.

jimmymac
jimmymac 02/25/14 - 09:04 am
CORGI

I couldn't/t agree with you more. I raised two girls and if I ever thought either of them was involved with someone like this Howard I would step in and put a stop to it. If he ever hurt one of them he better hope the cops lock him up before I get to him. I think these women have such low self esteem that they think that's all they can get. People raise you girls to feel good about themselves and reject the advances of these predators.

dionandkim
dionandkim 03/21/14 - 06:11 am
Don't believe everything you hear

According to what I heard in the courtroom The Augusta Chronicle has the story twisted. The District Attorney said The bullet that killed Courtney Bell was from a 25 semi automatic hand gun. And y'all do not know him so you can't judge him, I have a possession of cocaine charge on my record from an ex boyfriend throwing the cocaine in my lap when the Augusta narcotics officers Michael Swint and Eric Williams, pulled us over for a traffic violation for not wearing a seatbelt. I told them it wasn't mine but guess what?
possession is nine tents of the law. Also Rachael on the narcotics squad performed a cavity search on me on the side of old savannah rd. I put in for motion to suppress it was denied even though my civil rights were violated. Justice in Richmond county is never served in my opinion. My life is ruined I am judged because of this.

dionandkim
dionandkim 03/21/14 - 06:15 am
And oh yeah

Jaboli turned himself in to claim his innosence. The other boy is still on the run just to give y'all something to think about.

dionandkim
dionandkim 03/21/14 - 06:31 am
And one more thing

If you've ever faced a felony charge in Richmond county, the District Attorney offers you a stupid outrageous plea deal, hoping that will make you lower your hopes of winning at trial, for example the case of Jaboli Howard, they offered him a plea deal of 20 years, threatening that he could spend the rest of his life in prison for something he did not do, or even receive the death penalty, but really they do this to keep you from cranking the jury up and going to trial because it will cost Richmond County a lot of money for you to take your case to trial. So please do not judge a book by its cover people. A lot of times it's a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...