Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

North Augusta preacher charged with lewd act

Friday, Jan. 31, 2014 3:46 PM
Last updated 8:00 PM

A North Augusta preacher is facing charges of sex crimes against a 13-year-old girl.

Freeman  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Freeman

The Rev. Jerry Wilson Freeman, 61, of Solid Rock Tabernacle of Praise, was charged Friday with lewd act on a minor, according to a North Augusta Department of Public Safety news release.

Police were called to Freeman’s Ridge Cliff Court home Jan. 1 after the child’s uncle told authorities about the alleged incident.

Freeman told police the girl and her brother lived with their grandmother but often stayed with him at his home on the weekends. The girl told police Freeman had recently taken her and her brother to Chuck E. Cheese’s in Augusta. While her brother was inside playing games, Freeman kept her in the car, where he showed her a condom, talked about sex and told her he wanted her to be his “boo,” according to authorities.

At his home, Freeman unlocked the door to the bedroom where she was sleeping and touched her in a sexual manner, police said. She told police she was able to get Freeman’s cellphone and text her uncle to tell him what happened.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/31/14 - 04:14 pm
Wow, this is such a sad

Wow, this is such a sad situation. Of course, as a parent, I'm furious that this could have happened. BUT, I am making myself wait for more information to come out. Like everyone, I want justice, but I want to make sure it's on the correct person.

dickworth1
dickworth1 01/31/14 - 05:07 pm
is this a surprise?

I am not at all surprised at this. I have stated before that most black ministers preach, including cefalo dollar in Atlanta, that God will forgive you for everything and all is going to Heaven! Most black preachers supported the current president and the Democratic Party, even though the president supports gay marriages, praises gays that come out of the closets, intentionally sending gays to be in the Olympics games opening ceremony when the country they are going to does not believe in gays. The current administration and democrats support abortions, marijuana smoking and think that the penalties are too harsh for convicted felons. No, I am not surprised by these so called preachers and anything they do. I do believe that God will forgive you, but you must live and confess you love and trust to Jesus and make all attempts to lead a Christian way. I know everyone comes short of perfection but you must try to live by the bible and not some person that declares themselves a preacher. If everyone was guaranteed Heaven, then their would be no need for church or Hell.

butterflygina
butterflygina 01/31/14 - 06:57 pm
@dickworth, what a racist and

@dickworth, what a racist and one sided comment. Sexual crimes have no respect of color nor religious party. A white former pastor in the area was arrested not long ago. So what made him a predator? Their sick likes, urges, etc are what make them sexual predators. And there is no line that can be drawn between any colors/religions/political parties. It transcends amongst all groups of people.

fedex227
fedex227 01/31/14 - 08:03 pm
dickworth ...

well, at least the username fits.

Farmboy
Farmboy 01/31/14 - 07:24 pm
@fedex227

I know, right! That's exactly what I was just thinking.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 01/31/14 - 08:14 pm
Dickworth is just as sick as

Dickworth is just as sick as Freeman.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/31/14 - 08:45 pm
I tend to agree with "Just My

I tend to agree with "Just My Opinion". I think I'll wait to see if there is more to the story. A few things cross my mind....why is the girl and her brother living with the grandmother (where's her parents...or at least her mom). Why are they spending the weekend with the pastor? Maybe grandma needs a break on the weekends? So is the man she calls uncle, really an uncle or grandma's boyfriend.

Just a lot of loose information and if this man is guilty, he may call himself a pastor but he is no man of God.

noxiousfumes
noxiousfumes 01/31/14 - 11:32 pm
Please do not make

Please do not make generalizations about pastors/preachers. For every one that does something like this, there are many that take their calling seriously and live a godly life. There are some freaky teachers out here who molest kids, yet the majority of teachers are good people. No one says that ALL teachers are corrupt, yet people don't seem to see anything wrong with painting preachers with the broad brush of corruption. I am both a teacher and preacher, so I do know what I am talking about.

As far as Rev. Freeman, I was shocked to see this story as I have met him personally on a few occasions. I will reserve judgment until more details become available. It will be a sad situation if it is true, and he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law; if not, then his name shouldn't be dragged through the mud.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 02/01/14 - 09:29 am
anyone know where this

anyone know where this "church" is located?

my.voice
my.voice 02/01/14 - 09:32 am
Some stories don't need a

Some stories don't need a comment section, this is one of them. Not one comment has been made that is either helpful or necessary. Let this play out in the system.

JRC2024
JRC2024 02/01/14 - 09:57 am
His name should not be

His name should not be published until after the trial and only if he is guilty. There have been many young ladies and boys who say things for attention and then they are found not to be true. If the charge is false then she should be the one with her name published and she should spend time in detention no matter what her age.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/14 - 12:29 pm
They publish this because

They publish this because they know that if they do this to one child, they have done it to others, and they want others to come forward. And they usually do.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/14 - 12:36 pm
"intentionally sending gays

"intentionally sending gays to be in the Olympics games opening ceremony when the country they are going to does not believe in gays."

Um, ok.

When there were gay people during the Olympics of the Republican presidents, what did dickworth attribute THAT to?

my.voice
my.voice 02/01/14 - 06:18 pm
They publish this to sell

They publish this to sell papers corgi.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/14 - 06:49 pm
No, people that do this have

No, people that do this have a very long history of doing this.

Now, I wasn't there and I don't know what happened. I don't know if he is guilty or not. But the girl tells a very detained, very plausible story.

But in my life experience, 61 year old men only want to hang around teenagers, that they are not related to by blood or marriage, for only one reason.

I don't know of anybody that age that wants to hang out with young teenagers. Why would they? I sure don't. My husband sure doesn't.

But that's just me.

jbfj
jbfj 02/01/14 - 07:51 pm
I don't know what a dickworth is, but

this one isn't worth anything. What a moronic reply.