Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Men take bad meat from Food Lion trash bin

Monday, Jan. 27, 2014 12:07 PM
Last updated 8:25 PM

Police were called to a Wrightsboro Road grocery store Saturday after a manager found men stealing meat from a trash bin.

According to an incident report, the manager at Food Lion, 3246 Wrightsboro Road, had been having trouble recently with people breaking into the bin to steal meat. He told police the expired meat was a health risk and a liability for the store.

About 2 p.m. Saturday, the manager saw two men pulling ribs from the trash. After he told them he was calling police, the men threw the meat back into the bin and ran away.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/14 - 01:20 pm
Security

I guess everyone will need to lock up the garbage cans and dumpsters, now.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/27/14 - 01:37 pm
I understand the whole "bad

I understand the whole "bad meat" thing, but it seems the store has done it's due diligence by placing the meat in a secured dumpster. (It's secured in that someone can't just walk up and pick it up... They'd have to physically enter the confines of the dumpster to retrieve the meat. Just like your house...if someone gains entry into your house, even if your door is wide open, without permission, then they are breaking the law.
Let'em eat the meat and get sick!! That'll teach'em!
Yeah, well, maybe that's alittle harsh....

David Parker
David Parker 01/27/14 - 02:16 pm
First, someone teach them to

First, someone teach them to fish. Second, it could be used for catfish bait. Circle of life.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/27/14 - 02:25 pm
And yet...

...people object to Augusta being called a slum? Hmmmmmmmm.

Navy Gary
Navy Gary 01/27/14 - 03:21 pm
Stealing...

Stealing from a dumpster? Is this even possible? ....lol. Trash Police?

fishman960
fishman960 01/27/14 - 04:43 pm
Dumpsters

When I worked at a grocer in North Augusta, we would have "regulars" that would come by every day and pick through the trash. This is more of a common occurrence than most would believe. One time, the entire lunch meat counter had to be disposed of due to loss of refrigeration. The dumpster had to be guarded until the disposal company could come back and dump the contents. Most of the time, we would just pour bleach all over the packages after cutting them open.
There is a serious liability issue in out dated or otherwise unfit for human consumption foods and this is also why grocers do not donate questionable foods as well.

Graymare
Graymare 01/27/14 - 04:52 pm
Maybe they were hungry. Many

Maybe they were hungry. Many years ago I saw a man digging in a trash can for leftover fast food. I didn't call the police. I bought him a meal.

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/27/14 - 09:32 pm
Sams had many regulars that

Sams had many regulars that would go to the dumpsters and get meat, vegs and anything that was thrown in. Most was thrown in the day it was out of date and was still good. The people came from the long term motel/hotel that was across the street but has been torn down for the new ramp. They finally put a compression container that compressed the food and stuff so they could not get it.

iaaffg
iaaffg 01/28/14 - 06:28 am
gee, i thought anything in

gee, i thought anything in the trash bin was considered public property at that point? they show this stuff on the crime shows all the time: the police need a dna sample or are looking for 'evidence', so they wait for the supposed perp to put their garbage out and then they take command of it, legally! so why isn't the garbage dumpster considered the same? if someone wants to eat rotten meat they've stolen from a garbage container, let 'em if they're that stupid. but what is more disturbing here is the fact that the store lets their meat go that long that they have to trash it. why is this going on when there are hungry people out in america? why doesn't the store donate the meat BEFORE it expires to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen? no wonder other countries think we're a greedy, disgusting lot here in the usa, throwing away food and then prosecuting someone for appropriating it.

corgimom
corgimom 01/28/14 - 10:31 am
Grocery stores routinely

Grocery stores routinely throw out meat, sometimes people just don't buy it in time.

And no, they aren't going to donate it before it expires, people buy it all the time. Like me. I buy marked-down meat that's close to expiring as much as I possibly can, I've done it for years, and I've only had 2 rotten pieces.

KSL
KSL 01/28/14 - 10:49 am
I have never had any bad

I have never had any bad pieces. I am with you corgi. You can get some really good deals.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 01/28/14 - 10:54 am
One of the problems is that

One of the problems is that the stuff was being taken and sold to unsuspecting buyers. A long while back this would happen down at the dump. People would pick up stuff trashed by, oh say Castleberrys, and sell it at flea markets.

Which is one of the reasons I don't buy steaks from pickup trucks with freezers in the back, or from street corners...

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 01/28/14 - 10:55 am
One of the problems is that

One of the problems is that the stuff is sometimes taken and sold to unsuspecting buyers. A long while back this would happen down at the dump. People would pick up stuff trashed by, oh say Castleberrys, and sell it at flea markets.

corgimom
corgimom 01/28/14 - 05:40 pm
Casting Fool you and me both!

Casting Fool you and me both!

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/29/14 - 11:18 pm
Also, one of the hungry

Also, one of the hungry people would see dollar signs if they got sick and the attorneys would be on that like flies on honey looking to sue the store. Sad.