Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Father, son dead in possible murder-suicide

Sunday, Jan. 19, 2014 4:48 PM
Last updated 11:51 PM

Aiken County authorities are investigating a possible murder-suicide after a father and his adult son were found dead in their North Augusta home Sunday morning.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said 52-year-old Samuel Hewlett and his 21-year-old son Brandon Hewlett were found shot dead in their Woodvine Drive home.

Carlton said it is likely that a domestic dispute escalated into a murder-suicide, with the father taking his son’s life before taking his own.

The incident is believed to have taken place about 9:30 a.m., Carlton said. Brandon Hewlett’s mother discovered the bodies after returning home.

Aiken County sheriff’s Sgt. Jason Feemster said authorities will not be able to confirm the weapon used until they get results from ballistics tests.

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday morning in Newberry, S.C.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/19/14 - 05:21 pm
What an uncalled for comment

What an uncalled for comment corgimom.

What a horrible thing for this mother to have to find, her son and grandson. My prayers are with the family.

allhans
allhans 01/19/14 - 05:24 pm
The gun could have been

The gun could have been brought in......

A tragic happening..

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 01/19/14 - 05:58 pm
Tragedy in North Augusta

What a sad and horrible ending of two lives! My deepest sympathy and condolences to the family!

teaparty
teaparty 01/19/14 - 06:12 pm
" What an uncalled for

" What an uncalled for comment corgimom."
Are you surprised I'm not?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/19/14 - 07:42 pm
Good thing we don't take

everyone's car away when someone gets a DUI. Irresponsibility by one does not condemn all. Poor family...my heart goes out to them.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/19/14 - 09:24 pm
Corgimon's comment

Thanks to the AC for removing her comment.

curly123053
curly123053 01/19/14 - 09:27 pm
Sad !

Terrible event. Prayers for all involved.

myfather15
myfather15 01/20/14 - 06:44 am
Sad, very sad!!

I wish we knew what went through peoples minds in situations like this, so we could help them through it; but sadly we can't know!! Prayers for the family!!

myfather15
myfather15 01/20/14 - 06:50 am
I don't know what she said on

I don't know what she said on here, but it seems corgimom has been really narcissistic in her comments lately!!

But, some people have claimed the same thing about me. Oooh well, this too shall pass!!

ridesbrd
ridesbrd 01/20/14 - 08:35 am
So sad, and the reason why

So sad, and the reason why guns have never been and never will be in my house.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/20/14 - 08:56 am
ridesbrd, it's not the guns

ridesbrd, it's not the guns fault....it's mental instability. Anyone who can not contain their angry and chooses to take a life instead, has some sort of mental instability.

I don't know what transpired between this father and son but the weapon could have just as easily been something else. Would you be saying the same if the weapon had been a knife? Why do people always blame guns in the house. My father had guns in the house the whole time I was growing up and I only saw my father pull it once, and that was on a man trying to break into the neighbors house, never in anger. Responsibility is the key here.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 01/20/14 - 09:03 am
Don't blame the guns. People

Don't blame the guns. People who are that unstable could use their fist, a knife, a rope, a hammer, a bat.....when someone can kill another human being, the weapon of choice is not the issue.

Praying for this family. So very sad.

ridesbrd
ridesbrd 01/20/14 - 09:27 am
If the gun wasn't there no

If the gun wasn't there no one would have been shot to death.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/20/14 - 09:42 am
If the gun wasn't there

there might have been a stabbing, striking with heavy object, etc. etc. This is a sad and tragic family story but has nothing to do with guns.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/20/14 - 04:44 pm
As I read about the "guns"

As I read about the "guns" thing, I looked around the room I'm sitting in and see at least 7 objects I could take someone's life with.

myfather15
myfather15 01/20/14 - 05:14 pm
ridebrd

No, they could have been bludgeoned to death!! With a baseball bat, 2X4, golf club or many other items within a house!! He could have beat his son to death, then hung himself. It happens daily!! Hanging is a very common method of suicide. Or, he could have poured gas on the house and burned them inside it!!

Personally, I think I would rather have the bullet!!

This is a very sad situation!! Gun Control doesn't need to be brought into the argument!! When people want to die, they will ALWAYS find a way to do it.

sisbeautiful1
sisbeautiful1 08/26/14 - 08:54 pm
I`m sitting here reading some

I`m sitting here reading some of these stupid comments . You need to think about who is going to see this and read it. Thanks for the Prayers for my child/family!