Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Martinez TV repairman arrested

Friday, Jan. 17, 2014 8:22 AM
Last updated 7:08 PM

The owner of a Martinez electronics store was arrested Thursday, and Columbia County authorities are looking for people who believe they’ve been duped by him.

Bower  Columbia County Jail photo
Columbia County Jail photo
Bower

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Perry Clark Bower, 54, is owner of Electric Medic at 3850 Washington Road, Suite 5-B, near West Town shopping center. He was charged with two counts of theft by deception. He was released from the Columbia County Detention Center after posting a $3,200 bond, according to jail records.

Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said 14 people have reported that they were victims of the business over the past couple of months.

The customers told authorities that they left a television for repair with Bower along with a deposit. Some said they couldn’t reach Bower by phone, and others claimed he hadn’t repaired their electronics, mostly televisions, or repaid their deposits.

“There very well may be more (victims) that haven’t filed a report,” Morris said. “If they’ve had some type of business transaction and they feel like they’ve been duped or this business has failed to deliver, they should call us and file a report.”

Morris said the business contains hundreds, if not a thousand, pieces of electronics, mostly televisions.

Anyone who wishes to make a report about Electric Medic can call the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office at (706) 541-2800.

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/17/14 - 09:46 am
This company was scheduled to

This company was scheduled to come to my house and repair a very large HD television. I told him what the problem was and he told me what had gone out over the phone and a price to repair. I agreed and he made two appointments but never did show up. I called several times and left messages on his cell phone the day of the appointment to find out why he wasn't at my home. When he finally answered the phone he was as rude as anyone I have ever run into in the service business. He flat told me to quit bothering him and get someone else. I did an am glad. His $600 plus estimate cost me $75 to fix. Not surprised at this article.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/17/14 - 10:06 am
JRC

It may be a good thing you didn't reach him....we live & learn when dealing with this type.

billcass
billcass 01/17/14 - 10:49 am
Last week

I went by his shop (I had used him in the past) and it had a sign that it was closed for the holidays and would reopen 8 January. But it was still closed. Obviously he's got some 'splaining to do.

LLArms
LLArms 01/17/14 - 11:46 am
He looks like he has shifty

He looks like he has shifty eyes... lol

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 01/17/14 - 12:24 pm
Seems like if he's been on

Seems like if he's been on the up and up until recently, he may have gotten involved in something - gambling, drugs, etc.

David Parker
David Parker 01/17/14 - 12:28 pm
Just take it to the guy

Just take it to the guy around the corner on Old Evans. Beside TIger Graphics.

Farmboy
Farmboy 01/17/14 - 02:12 pm
Karma

Never sleeps

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/18/14 - 11:57 am
Who knew?

There are still people around who REPAIR electronics? Or claim to? Really? I thought today you just throw it out and buy a new one.

When I was in the Army there were lots of soldiers who had soldering irons and knew how to repair commo equipment. Today they are gone and all you have to do is pull out one circuit board and snap in another one.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 01/17/14 - 02:59 pm
Dixieman

Throwing it out and getting a new one would certainly be better than paying $600 for a $75 job!

David Parker
David Parker 01/17/14 - 03:47 pm
When we replaced our TV, my

When we replaced our TV, my wife asked if I thought we could sell it. I said I doubt someone would come remove it if we paid them 5 bucks. It is not the skinny kind, nor the lightweight kind.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/17/14 - 05:52 pm
"It is not the skinny kind,

"It is not the skinny kind, nor the lightweight kind."

I sat 4 of those, three 19" and one 26", out by the road the other day about noon. The wife came home about 2 hours later and said they were all gone. You can set anything out beside the road out here and somebody will haul it off before garbage truck day.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/17/14 - 06:19 pm
Alrught, dich, what's your

Alrught, dich, what's your address?? I've got a broken TV and fridge I need to get rid of! Our neighborhood covenant prohibits that curb-pickup service!

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 01/18/14 - 02:14 am
Too funny!

Too funny!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/18/14 - 09:02 am
Some good points about the south side :)

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/18/14 - 11:05 am
If someone is quoted $600 to

If someone is quoted $600 to fix a television... throw it out! They are too cheap now to pay that for a repair