Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man shot early Saturday

Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014 5:08 PM
Last updated 9:30 PM

An Augusta man was hospitalized early Saturday after being shot in the back.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

About 3:18 a.m., Jaraad Hazel, 23, was pulling into a parking lot in the 2700 block of Woodcrest Drive when two black males brandishing handguns approached from behind and told him not to move, according to Richmond County Sher­iff’s Office report.

According to the report, it is unclear what happened next, but Hazel ended up shot and with an injury to the back of his head.

Police say a witness, Spencer Pelkey, 23, heard a gunshot followed by cries for help. Pelkey, who told police he was a nurse for the Army, provided medical attention to Hazel until help arrived. Hazel was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center.

The suspects were last seen in a white SUV. One wore a black hooded sweatshirt and the other wore a white T-shirt.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/11/14 - 08:15 pm
Pops
Pops 01/11/14 - 09:03 pm
Another murder averted by Roundtree's Sheriffs

Department.........give credit where credit's due.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/11/14 - 10:29 pm
"Another murder averted by Roundtree's Sheriffs"

I don't have a problem with Sheriff Roundtree, nor any of his deputies, there's only one sheriff though. I don't have problems giving credit where credit is due either. How was a murder averted by "Roundtree's Sheriffs", did I miss something? A man was shot, apparently the suspects fled and the victim was cared for by a witness until help arrived. Who averted a murder? Maybe the crooks were bad shots, but there wasn't a deputy there to avert anything.

rebellious
22085
rebellious 01/12/14 - 12:16 am
Another

Augusta Citizen stole my thoughts and posted before me. My yard didn't flood today, even with the torrential rain. Another flood averted by Richard Roundtree's Sheriffs, all of which I support whether I voted for them or not. I didn't get broken into today, of which I owe a measure of gratitude! This mindset is a microcosm of the National sentiment. If nothing bad happened to me, it must be because the "Government" prevented it from happening. And even if something bad did happen (such as losing my job) the Almighty "Government" will make sure I don't have to worry, or hustle, or get in a hurry looking for another. Give me a year or two, I might find something. That is if Obamacare doesn't drive all full time jobs to 2 part time jobs each.

Bulldog
Bulldog 01/13/14 - 09:40 am
Culture

Another example of the differences in culture. Color has nothing to do with it. Time for our community leaders to start speaking up.