Murder suspect visited gruesome Web site, court told

Friday, Jan. 10, 2014 10:05 AM
Last updated 7:29 PM

MACON, Ga. — The Telegraph newspaper reports murder suspect Stephen McDaniel visited Web sites about gynophagia – sexual arousal from seeing someone eaten – prosecutors said during a hearing Friday morning.

y  Grant Blankenship/ Macon Telegraph
Grant Blankenship/ Macon Telegraph
Accused killer Stephen McDaniel visited websites about gynophagia, sexual arousal from seeing someone eaten, prosecutors said during a Friday hearing. y

McDaniel, 28, is charged with murder in the June 2011 death of his fellow Mercer University law school classmate and neighbor, Lauren Giddings, 27.

Giddings’ dismembered torso was discovered in a trash can outside the Georgia Avenue apartments where she and McDaniel lived.

McDaniel’s lawyers had filed a motion requesting an order from the judge requiring prosecutors to disclose information about specific Web sites reportedly visited by McDaniel, as revealed by an analysis of his computer.

District Attorney David Cooke also said McDaniel visited a Web site with a story about the “dismemberment of a woman done to hide murder.”

Cooke said a gynophagia site visited by McDaniel includes an illustration showing a body in a condition similar to how Giddings was found.

Read more: www.macon.com/2014/01/10/2872227/da-mcdaniel-visited-website-about.html#storylink=cpy.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/10/14 - 11:14 am
gynophagia?

A plea of insanity would be believable. Lock this creature away forever.

David Parker
David Parker 01/10/14 - 12:09 pm
Shocking

And I'm not prone to shocking.

ellenhotch
ellenhotch 01/10/14 - 01:19 pm
If the defendant's lawyers

If the defendant's lawyers were pushing for description of the websites to be brought into evidence, then that is surely what they are angling for. And insanity plea may or may not mean this guy will be locked up for life. Let's hope if he is found guilty by reason of insanity the judge will be strong and get him whatever help he needs in a medical PRISON, not hospital or treatment center.

myfather15
myfather15 01/10/14 - 01:59 pm
If convicted, DEATH penalty!!

Oooh, I'm sure his lawyers will scream that he is mentaly ill and needs "help" and that we don't put mentally ill people to death.

Now, I have a question; if he is convicted, why and for what purpose would we want to give him "help"? Second, if we do give him help, would you feel comfortable with him as your neighbor?

Would ANY of you, after he received treatment, feel that he is "rehabilitated" enough to introduce him back into society?

Just a few questions to ponder......

David Parker
David Parker 01/10/14 - 02:50 pm
that would be NO for me.

that would be NO for me. Some may have the luxury to be naive but I'll be skeptic and feel safe with keeping the gynophagies in the lockup, whether it be a hospital with bars or a good ole prison.

raul
raul 01/10/14 - 03:24 pm
Is that Sheldon Cooper's twin

Is that Sheldon Cooper's twin from Big Bang Theory?

billcass
billcass 01/10/14 - 06:47 pm
My father

I don't know the facts of this case (except it happened about a half mile from where my son lives,) but if he is mentally ill, then he should not be executed. We are a compassionate people, and much of our criminal law comes from biblical precepts. While nothing in scripture speaks to an "insanity defense" the supreme court has said you cannot execute someone who is mentally ill when they committed their offense. I am assuming by your moniker that you are a fellow believer. If so, I am disappointed by your lack of compassion under such a situation. If he is found guilty by reason of insanity, it is extremely unlikely he will ever see the light of day again. But executing him under such circumstances solves nothing, and is simply cruel. We are a better people than that.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 01/11/14 - 01:26 am
Is the death penalty really a

Is the death penalty really a cruel thing to do? With lethal injections the person doesn't hurt but just goes to sleep and then passes away. Of course, it is just my opinion, but I would rather be put to death than live locked up the rest of my life. A life was brutally taken away whether by an insane or criminal person and the consequences should be the same. Death is not hard, living is hard. Death is just a passage way to either life in heaven with Christ or hell with the devil. I am more than willing to let God sort out the situation if a person is proven guilty of a murder for whatever reason.

myfather15
myfather15 01/11/14 - 06:59 am
scoopdedoop

I agree with you that life is what's hard. I also agree that I would rather get death than to sit in prison the rest of my life.

But, I can see the death penalty has to be mentally hard. Knowing the date and time of your death. Knowing with each passing day it's getting closer. Knowing that it is tomorrow and then counting the minutes leading up to it. Yes, that could be pretty tough mentally. I've said before, they shouldn't tell them the exact day and time. Just slip something into their food one day to make them unconscious, then take them and end it.

myfather15
myfather15 01/11/14 - 07:12 am
billcass

"I am assuming by your moniker that you are a fellow believer. If so, I am disappointed by your lack of compassion under such a situation."

I couldn't care less how disappointed you are!! I don't know you personally, but you sound like one of the traditional Christians that I'm disappointed in daily!! The Bible says that if a person commit murder, which in the anicent Hebrew meant criminal homicide, to lie and wait or premeditate; they were to be killed and sent back to the Father. Like you said, it doesn't saying anything about mental illness. That was MAN that brought that into the equation, to confuse people. So, as a Christian; do you listen more to men or to God? Do you beleive in doing things His way, or our way? This is why I'm disppointed in them daily, because many "Christians" have moved away from God's way and now choose man's ways!!

"If he is found guilty by reason of insanity, it is extremely unlikely he will ever see the light of day again. But executing him under such circumstances solves nothing, and is simply cruel. We are a better people than that."

Cruel?? This man dismembered a young woman's body and was sexually aroused by the thoughts of eating flesh!! You think it's CRUEL to give him death? Well I got news for you partner, that is NOT WHAT GOD SAYS!! So for someone who claims to be a person of faith, you obviously think YOUR opinion, over rides GOD's!!!

I agree with scoopdedoop above; when he said give them death, send them to God and let HIM sort out their mental illness!! He will judge the person righteously!!

"But executing him under such circumstances solves nothing, and is simply cruel. We are a better people than that."

Solves nothing? It prevents the good people of this Country from EVER having to worry about him again. They don't have to worry about him escaping, killing, raping, dismembering or anything else. As long as he is locked up, we always have to worry whether he escapes and kills someone else again. Death is the ultimate protection of the community!! We should protect our GOOD people, first and foremost!!

myfather15
myfather15 01/11/14 - 04:20 pm
Nothing but a thumbs down?

Nothing but a thumbs down? Typical!!

corgimom
corgimom 01/11/14 - 05:08 pm
That is one of the sickest

That is one of the sickest people that I have ever seen.

How the victim's family must be suffering.

He's another Jeffrey Dahmer.

David Parker
David Parker 01/13/14 - 02:37 pm
@raul

I was going to say it......

Keel lone finalist to lead GRU

Georgia Southern University President Dr. Brooks Keel, an Augusta native, is the lone finalist to replace Ricardo Azziz as president of Georgia Regents University.