Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man reports theft of 30,000 comic books

Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014 2:53 PM
Last updated 7:30 PM

A North Augusta man told police Tuesday someone stole his collection of nearly 30,000 comic books from a storage building at a south Augusta residence.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

According to an incident report, the 46-year-old man kept the collection in a storage building at a friend’s home in the 2300 block of Boykin Road. He said the 85 boxes, which contained about 350 comics each, were stolen from the building sometime between Nov. 13 and Dec. 30.

The victim told police the collection contained X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Batman, Superman and several other comic books. Some of the boxes and comic books were signed.

Police valued the comics at $1 each, which equaled $29,750.

myfather15
myfather15 01/08/14 - 04:12 pm
Wow, there is probably some

Wow, there is probably some serious value to those!! That's a true shame!!

Now, with something like that, it should be pretty hard for the criminal to get rid of without bringing attention to himself. Hopefully, whoever he tries to sell them too, calls law enforcement.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/08/14 - 05:27 pm
Some serious lifting. Look for someone with a good back.

Some serious lifting. Look for someone with a good back.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/08/14 - 05:28 pm
This guy was on a episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond"

This guy was on a episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond"

Darby
Darby 01/08/14 - 05:48 pm
Enough to take the "comic"

out of comic book.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 01/08/14 - 06:53 pm
I agree with MF15. Either law

I agree with MF15. Either law enforcement, the victim or both should heavily monitor EBay and Craig's List.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/08/14 - 07:46 pm
I've got a very small

I've got a very small collection of the comics I bought when I was a kid. If something happened to them, my wife would probably be grateful, but I'd sure be bummed. Not everyone collects things for their monetary value, but for their emotional value. I sure hope they catch the thief.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/08/14 - 08:00 pm
What can I say

RCSO need to put out a APB for:
X-men, Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern.

Sorry for his loss,
but seriously keeping such a collection is storage building,
was inviting rats, and roaches to eat them up sooner or later.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/08/14 - 08:02 pm
BTW: Sounds like a new laws

just waiting to be passed requiring 2 ID's to sell used reading materials.

KSL
KSL 01/08/14 - 09:18 pm
Years ago my first son

Years ago my first son collected comic books. They were quite valuable. Look carefully at acquaintances.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/10/14 - 12:02 pm
Is this the guy...

...who runs "The Android's Dungeon" comic book store on The Simpsons, a/k/a Comic Book Guy?
Grown ups do this? Really?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/10/14 - 07:37 am
so a $30k investment sitting

so a $30k investment sitting in a storage shed that belongs to a friend on Boykin Road... You'd think that once some collected enough to be worth something of substance you'd keep it closer to you.

rebellious
rebellious 01/10/14 - 10:07 am
signed?

Who signed them, Superman or Batman?