Evans teen killed, two injured in Aiken County crash

Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014 9:15 PM
Last updated 9:29 PM

An Evans teenager was killed and two others seriously injured Wednesday when a car struck a tree near Bath, S.C.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

About 2 p.m., a 2004 Jeep Cherokee was traveling north on Dixie Clay Road when the vehicle ran off the right side of the road and struck an embankment and a tree, according to South Carolina Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. Judd Jones.

Helen Reid, 18, was ejected from the Jeep and died at the scene, said Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton. Reid, a passenger in the rear seat, was not wearing a seatbelt.

The driver, Austin Beard, of North Augusta, and a second passenger, who was not identified, were taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center in serious condition. Beard and the unidentified passenger were wearing seatbelts, Jones said.

The Jeep was traveling at a high rate of speed and overturned, Carlton said.

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 07:44 am
So sad, these kids never

So sad, these kids never learn.

My condolences to her family.

Mom - been there
Mom - been there 01/09/14 - 08:20 am
Please be kind

As a Mom who has last lost a daughter, please be kind & compassionate. I assure they are asking themselves all of the questions you would ask them but a million times over!!!!! This family needs their communities support not criticism. Please allow them the grieve in peace!!!!!

curly123053
curly123053 01/09/14 - 08:28 am
Sad !

My prayers are with all the families affected by this tragedy.

truthfinder
truthfinder 01/09/14 - 08:55 am
Unbelievable

I hope Corgimom is indeed a mom only to a Corgi, and not an actual child. Yeesh, what a thing to comment about this tragedy right now.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/09/14 - 09:53 am
It is a comments section

It is a comments section folks, for better or worse. If it is inappropriate to comment, then the AC should remove the box on stories like this.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 01/09/14 - 09:57 am
Prayers

As a parent, I have always had just one prayer that I think all parents have, and that is that no parent should ever have to lose their child. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the families involved, but especially to the parents of Helen. Peace be with you.

bob0142
bob0142 01/09/14 - 10:17 am
Instead of being judgemental

Instead of being judgemental and looking down at everyone, I'll simply say it is a shame when any parent has to bury their child, it is the harshest punishment I can imagine.

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/09/14 - 10:44 am
Can't imagine..

..the pain this family must be feeling. Our prayers to you. PLEASE DRILL INTO YOUR KID'S HEADS FROM BIRTH TO WEAR SEATBELTS!! I know teenagers think they're immortal, but teens please see that the ones wearing seatbelts are alive today.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/09/14 - 10:55 am
Bamaman- that is what makes

Bamaman- that is what makes these situations all the more heart wrenching, especially for loved ones; is knowing that it was likely preventable. As a father myself, I can only imagine the grief.

waywardone
waywardone 01/09/14 - 12:44 pm
This is a tragedy, but...

First, this is an absolutely horrible occurrence, and my heart cries out for the parents who have lost a daughter. Not wearing a seatbelt, notwithstanding, why has no one made the connection that this young lady was a Greenbrier HS senior, but was killed at 2pm in Bath SC?!! Why was she not in school, sitting in class? I just checked the school's website, and the school day runs until 2:45pm, and there was no early release that day.

apologies. Going off of what the news reports earlier in the morning had said.

Delirious58
Delirious58 01/09/14 - 12:08 pm
Tragedy

In response to wayward one, The young lady had dropped out of school but had earned her GED. Prayers to the family

bdouglas
bdouglas 01/09/14 - 12:08 pm
@waywardone

She was not a senior. She dropped out and got her GED early. That's what her dad says in the other story anyway.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 01/09/14 - 12:33 pm
God can heal. I pray for

God can heal. I pray for peace for all involved.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/09/14 - 12:57 pm
GED

Here is a link to the other story that says she dropped out early to get her GED. http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/metro/2014-01-09/grief-counselors-scho...

Augusta nears naming administrator

Augusta could be closer to having a permanent head of city government, with Mayor Deke Copenhaver calling a meeting to "discuss and approve" his recommendation.