Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Aiken woman killed in crash while fleeing from authorities

An Aiken woman suspected of shoplifting died Tues­day after she fled from police and caused a four-vehicle crash that sent three other people to the hospital.

Lucinda Randolph, 31, was killed in a collision on East Pine Log Road near Ken­nedy Middle School after driving away from Wal-Mart on Whiskey Road in an attempt to elude store security and Aiken De­partment of Public Safety
officers, according to Ai­ken County Cor­o­ner Tim Carlton.

Randolph was driving a 2004 Pontiac eastbound on East Pine Log Road at high speed when she abruptly turned left, cutting off a 1998 Chev­rolet in the left lane driven by Tiffany Hol­loway, 25, who was wearing a seat belt and wasn’t injured, said South Carolina
Highway Patrol Sgt. Bob Beres.

Randolph then drove into westbound traffic, striking head-on a Dodge pickup driven by 20-year-old Cisto Mincey and a 2010 Toyota driven by Willie Mae Hutto, 49, Beres said.

Mincey was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center and Hutto was taken to Aiken Regional Medical Centers. Both were wearing seat belts, Beres said.

A child passenger in Ran­dolph’s vehicle also was taken to Georgia Regents Med­ical Center.

The conditions of the three could not be determined immediately.

Randolph, who was not wearing her seat belt, died at about 1 p.m. at Aiken Re­gional Medical Centers, according to authorities. An autopsy is scheduled
for Thursday in Newberry, S.C.

The crash remains under investigation by the South Caro­lina Highway Patrol and the Aiken County Coroner’s Of­fice.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 12/25/13 - 05:21 pm
@LCC0256

WE? is that a f%$#@* mouse in your pocket? Or you always so pompous as to refer to yourself in the third person. On second thought, no need to answer, your comments are on par with wille Lee and Kissofdeath and will be treated as such...

Navy Gary
Navy Gary 12/25/13 - 06:52 pm
WOW...

12 neg reps for this opinion??

Maybe we should do away with these police chases altogether. It sure seems to me like they are endangering a lot of people just to recover some stolen Wal-Mart stuff.

Let me put it this way in hopes of getting more neg reps from the wonderful people who troll the comments section in defense of this practice.....Cops who make the decision to pursue petty criminals in high speed chases are even more irresponsible than the runners themselves. One person is dead and three are injured because of the decision to chase, not the decision to run. It's that simple. You can twist it anyway you want but that's the bottom line here.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 12/25/13 - 10:55 pm
I think it's fairly evident

I think it's fairly evident to see who is twisting things here... perhaps you should check into a use of force continuum.. or maybe you have no issue with a criminal fleeing the scene with child in their "getaway" vehicle? Let me guess.. next you will tell us how Randolph was not a bad person "just because she chose to live the life".

Really? REALLY?

KSL
KSL 12/25/13 - 07:38 pm
How do you know she was

How do you know she was speeding only because she was being pursued by law enforcement?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/25/13 - 08:42 pm
@specsta @3:38 p.m.

I would suggest - - - - take a deep breath, slow down, and lighten up. Relaxation is your friend.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/25/13 - 08:49 pm
LL, that would have been

LL, that would have been excellent advice for the officers who chased the woman.

willie Lee
willie Lee 12/25/13 - 09:09 pm
Just The Facts!

Deadly force is NEVER justified in the defense of property! That is the law in all 50 states. It is probably safe to say the "Mall Cop" had the tag number. Why not send the LE people to the home and write the ticket. They have done this before and it would have been the proper thing to do again. Instead, as many have stated previous to my post, the high speed chase was not required. Except, to give a few thugs their kicks.

jimmymac
jimmymac 12/26/13 - 10:35 am
shameful

It's a shame this irresponsible woman would endanger her child trying to flee from being caught stealing again. It's sounds like she was a career thief and had no problem with showing her child her criminal acts. The poor child is better off without her and maybe the family can raise the child with better morals. The police did not cause this tragedy. The wheels were set in motion by he lady all by herself.

David Parker
David Parker 12/26/13 - 10:50 am
There are traffic cams and

There are traffic cams and LEO radios, eyewitnesses, couple of airports in the area with choppers on stand-by or in the air. Yeah, takes some effort to do it differently. Sucks that she lost her life for stealing. Wonder if she was trying to get something like a gift for the kid. If she was a danger to the public, I see no other alternative than giving chase. Save that, I'd have rather'd she been allowed to escape for now. Not sure if that's right, but I have to feel that way considering the alternate outcome of it all.

fatboyhog
1940
fatboyhog 12/26/13 - 01:17 pm
wilie Lee for Sheriff!

Please, Mr./Ms. Lee, please run for Sheriff! The good citizens of the area NEED your expertise and we need you to reel in the "thugs" looking to get their kicks at the expense of criminals. Please, please, PLEASE run for Sheriff!

willie Lee
willie Lee 12/26/13 - 10:00 pm
To The Fatboy!

I appreciate your support, however, I believe in God, am active in my church, I’m not naive, have no ego, do not cheat, steal, make false accusations, and do not lie. I could not force myself to place someone in jail just because I could and do not gloat over the death or mistreatment of individuals by officers of the state. So as you see, I have none of the qualifications to be in law enforcement. Sorry!

myfather15
myfather15 12/27/13 - 08:41 am
Really?

Law enforcement have to make split second decisions, which can cost lives, or save lives. I agree with many comments that PROPERTY, is not worth a human beings life, no matter the value of the items.

But some calling LE officers "thugs" because they made a decision to go after a criminal, is just despicable!! Was it reckless? I don't know, I wasn't there. Was it worth catching her? I don't know, I wasn't there, I don't know exactly what her actions were.

As a LE officers myself, I've been in MANY chases but I'm also torn on the pursuit debate. I NEVER want to see anyone hurt during a pursuit, including the OFFENDER!! We want them in custody, not dead!! Do I feel sympathy for the offender if they are seriously hurt or injured? Nope!! Do I think it's worth innocent lives? Absolutely NOT!! But it's a VERY tough call for LE officers to make, especially when the offender has ALREADY endangered lives, before the pursuit began.

Another commenter made mention that offenders are already driving fast, before a chase begins. This is true!! Most theives are trying to put distance between themselves and the incident location. They usually are driving fast and erratic, when fleeing the scene of their crime. They're also are nervous and excited, so they're probably not paying attention to the road and traffic; so you could definately place them in the "distracted driver" category!! So, it's a valid argument that this COULD have happened, even without the police chasing her; it HAS happened.

One incident I remember was a home burglary, called in by a neighbor. The neighbor was watching the burglary in progress reported it and gave the description of the offender's vehicle and direction of travel when they left. She actually watched them carrying out TV's and other furniture, loading them into the back of a truck. They left, going north, towards another County. When we arrived, of course we found the home burglarized, with forced entry on the back door. About 20 minutes later, we got a call from the next County, saying they had an accident, where a red truck was traveling at a high rate of speed and struck another vehicle head on. No one died, but everyone was seriously injured. The stolen property was scattered all over the road. Bottom line is, no one was chasing these guys. Their adrenaline was pumping and they were afraid to get caught. They were trying to get away from the scene and to a "Safe Zone" as fast as they could.

Much research has shown that criminals, when fleeing the scene of a crime, will drive very fast until they reach a place where they feel safe!! Even if a chase has occured and the police called it off, the offender will NOT slow down, until they've reached the "Safe Zone". People lives ARE in danger, whether the police are pursuing or not!! CRIMINALS, put peoples lives in danger, everyday!! Because that is the type people they are; selfish, non-caring people!! They don't CARE who they harm during their crimes!!

Let me reiterate, I'm NOT taking sides on THIS particular chase. I'm only giving people something to think about; because it's accurate!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/27/13 - 08:30 am
willie lee

"I could not force myself to place someone in jail just because I could and do not gloat over the death or mistreatment of individuals by officers of the state."

Could you find it within your morals to put someone in jail for committing a criminal offense? Or is that asking to much?

myfather15
myfather15 12/27/13 - 08:33 am
Navy Gary

"Let me put it this way in hopes of getting more neg reps from the wonderful people who troll the comments section in defense of this practice"

You've got to love these people who think themselves better than others, yet are doing the EXACT same thing they are bashing. Basically calling people trolls, for reading and making comments, giving their OPINIONS. But what are you doing Gary?

myfather15
myfather15 12/27/13 - 08:37 am
Absolutely astonishing!!

".....Cops who make the decision to pursue petty criminals in high speed chases are even more irresponsible than the runners themselves."

To blame the police for someone committing a crime and then fleeing!! WOW!! Actually saying they are MORE responsible than the criminal, who CAUSED the entire incident to begin with!!

"One person is dead and three are injured because of the decision to chase, not the decision to run."

So, the decison to commit a crime and flee, had NOTHING to do with this incident?? Is this what rational logic sounds like today? There is ZERO responsiblity on the offender? Amazing!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/27/13 - 08:47 am
willie lee

Did you know that a pursuit, by itself is NOT considered deadly force? Now, if traveling at high speeds AND the officer uses the PIT maneuver, it is considered deadly force and the officer must articulate why he decided to use the "Pit" maneuver on the fleeing suspect.

Numerous federal Courts have determined that during a pursuit, the pursuing officers are NOT responsible for the fleeing suspect's actions! But they ARE responsible for their own actions, during said pursuit. Meaning, if the suspects blows through traffic light that is red, we CAN NOT just blow through it as well. We must use DUE REGARD when pursuing.

So the courts, would disagree with your OPINION. Look it up!! Just because willie lee, believes something, doesn't make it the LAW!!

willie Lee
willie Lee 12/27/13 - 01:03 pm
To Father:

Could I find it within my morals to put someone in jail for committing a criminal offense?

Not if a courtesy summons would accomplish the same thing, which most petty crimes would fall under. Tickets are given every day without the perceived abuse from those that do not believe in individual rights.

fatboyhog
1940
fatboyhog 12/27/13 - 03:20 pm
Bond

Do you understand the concept? What crimes are acceptable to issue a courtesy summons? Are you saying that the police don't believe in individual rights?

myfather15
myfather15 12/27/13 - 06:38 pm
willie lee

Did you know that it's NOT up to the officer or deputy whether they issue a citation for the offense??? It's called State and Department POLICY!!

The State of Georgia determines certain offenses, FINGERPRINTABLE!! Meaning, if a person is charged with this offense, they MUST be taken into custody, fingerprinted and issued a OBTN (Offender based tracking number)!! Which is the beginning of the process!! Just like misdemeanor possession of marijuana! Most deputies and officers I know would LOVE to just issue citations for this and not waste their time transporting the offender. Issuing a citation for minor misdemeanor offense, would be preferred by deputies in many cases. But under Georgia policy, it's a FINGERPRINTABLE offense, so they must be arrested. Talk to your wonderful politicians and place the blame where it belongs, NOT with the deputies.

Learn about something before attacking others.