Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta fire sergeant accused of hitting daughter's boyfriend

An Augusta firefighter was arrested Sunday after being accused of striking his daughter’s boyfriend several times, police say.

Joseph William Galvin, 44, of Augusta, was charged with misdemeanor simple battery, according to Richmond County jail records. The Au­gusta Fire Department confirmed Monday that Gal­vin is a sergeant with the department.

According to an incident report, Colton Brown, 19, told police that he drove to Wrights­boro Road at Stovall Street to pick up Galvin’s 19-year-old daughter. Brown parked behind Gal­vin’s car and his daughter jumped in.

Galvin approached the car and told Brown to stay away from his daughter. When Brown responded with expletives, Galvin grabbed him by the shirt and struck him several times in the face, according to the report. Galvin’s daughter, who tried to intervene, was also struck in the face by accident.

When Galvin backed away, Brown left. Brown
told police that Galvin threatened to kill him as he drove away.

Galvin told police that he was arguing with his daughter before the altercation with Brown, whom he suspected of hitting his daughter. Galvin said he approached Brown’s car to talk to him, but became upset when Brown responded with expletives.

Both Galvin and his daughter stated that Galvin didn’t threaten to kill Brown.

Before leaving, deputies observed a red mark on Brown’s cheek.

just an opinion
just an opinion 12/23/13 - 09:03 pm
jmo
jmo 12/23/13 - 05:21 pm
Good advice.....

Find a new girlfriend.

mllange
mllange 12/23/13 - 06:29 pm
Hmmm

So Brown can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. I would investigate if I thought someone was hitting my daughter as well... Not saying Brown deserved to get a good old fashion beat down, I'm just saying if you are going to add fuel to the fire and yell trash at your girlfriends dad, then what did you expect to happen.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 12/23/13 - 08:20 pm
Respect

If the young punk learned any respect for his elders he came out good. If more daddys actually cared for their daughters the world would be a better place.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/23/13 - 08:40 pm
I know of Mr. Galvin and

I know of Mr. Galvin and certainly and absolutely loves, cherishes, and cares for his children. He and his wife have always supported their children. There are no written guidelines for being a parent...we just do the best we can. I don't think there's a father out there.....let me rephrase that....I don't think there's a father out there THAT GIVES A DAMN about his daughter who wouldn't have beat the snot out of this punk! I'm sure Mr. Galvin sees that his daughter is making a mistake, and he just wants that mistake to go away before her life is ruined. Just because she's 19 doesn't mean that she knows what's right for her. However, I'm afraid that Mr. Galvin will be punished. I hope that his daughter has learned a lesson here. I'm sure her loving parents tried to tell her that something bad would eventually happen because of this punk, and here it is. I just hope that she doesn't compound the problem by going back to the punk.

Georgialina
Georgialina 12/23/13 - 11:03 pm
Brown, whom he suspected of hitting his daughter

And then he shot off his big mouth to the dad??? Oh yeah, he had an [filtered word] whipping coming.

My daughter is grown and married but let me get wind that hubby or anyone else lays hands on her and I will proudly serve a few days in jail while the punk serves his time in the hospital. he had better give his heart to Jesus because his other end will be mine!

gargoyle
gargoyle 12/23/13 - 11:45 pm
If my wife, Kids or

If my wife, Kids or grandchildren are Threatened, Disrespected or Harmed I reserve the right to go to jail and will pay whatever penalty society deems , no questions asked.

scoobynews
scoobynews 12/24/13 - 07:29 am
I hope this becomes an ex

I hope this becomes an ex boyfriend for the daughter. Young people fail to see the wisdom of their elders. This guy is obviously a punk who has no respect for her parents and you can bet your last dime he doesn't respect her either.

jimmymac
jimmymac 12/24/13 - 10:05 am
GOOD DAD

If more fathers were present to intervene in their children's lives our crime rates wouldn't be so high. Cudo's to the dad and shame on the daughter for choosing such a punk. If you go to jail Mr. Galvin justice has not been served. I wonder how long it will be before we read about this Brown character beating on this girl or another?

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/24/13 - 10:58 am
Reposted - a watered down version - to avoid deletion.

I would hope, the Boy Friend is no longer part of the greater picture.

Given the stories presented facts, Daddy did the right thing.

IF, Brown (19) was hitting Daddies daughter, then getting hit back a few times is minor to what most dad's would have done for their daughters.

john
john 12/24/13 - 11:33 am
yep

Id be arrested too. Sounds like punk got what he deserved.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/24/13 - 12:43 pm
Agree with all of the above.

Agree with all of the above. I hope Mr. Galvin doesn't pay too high of a price.

Frank I
Frank I 12/24/13 - 01:36 pm
yup..

Sounds like Brown got the arse whippin he deserved.. I would do the same if it were my daughter..
Conversely, if my son happens to be that disrespectful punk and I catch wind of it he's going to get his arse whipped twice.. The first time by the woman's disgruntled father, and the second by his own..

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/24/13 - 03:24 pm
That last 19

year that mouthed off to me would have 20 tomorrow. Just kidding but it could happen.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/24/13 - 03:57 pm
Misplaced Emphasis

Where the reporter went wrong with this story is emphasizing the father's occupation in the headline and the first two paragraphs. The circumstances and occurrences are the important things here; not what Mr. Galvin's occupation is.

galvin_corbin
galvin_corbin 12/24/13 - 06:40 pm
So called punks girlfriend....

Let me get this story straight...i was told by my parents to not see my boyfiend because they do not like him nor do they want me with him. I told them if they werent going to let me see him then i was leaving and i did so while my mother stood at the door sayong "deuces" to me. My dad proceeded to follow me. Parked and waited to see cody. Saw him pulling up to get me started screaming and yelling athim opened his car door and strikes him 5 times while i got hit in the process. Today my boyfriend face is swollen an my face is bruised. Yes i called the cops because i was scared for my boyfriends life! My father is not innocent and this story is completely false. So everyone can go to hell and realize who the true victims are here. Thank you, Corbin Galvin.

wmplpi
wmplpi 12/24/13 - 09:10 pm
Not the full story

Seems to me everybody has jumped to conclusions about the boyfriend. I nor you know what transpired. He is 19, she is 19, and they can do what they want. See each other, get married, or whatever. Seems to me Daddy didn't want his baby seeing the guy and put his two cents in a place he didn't need to put it. Seems the Girlfriend sees it that way too

scoobynews
scoobynews 12/24/13 - 09:16 pm
Little girl you need to grow

Little girl you need to grow up. I was a stupid young girl once thinking my parents were the punks while my so called wonderful boyfriend was my knight in shining armer. Guess what he was the girlfriend beating and cheating punk they thought he was. In fact about 2 of them were just that. Hopefully in about 10 or 20 years you will look back on this and feel shame for defending someone other than your own blood. Men will come and go but your dad is your dad for life.

corgimom
corgimom 12/25/13 - 07:30 am
Corbin, your parents love you

Corbin, your parents love you and want nothing but the best for you. When the parents don't like a boyfriend, they have GOOD REASONS and you would do well to listen to them. You can do what you want, but you will pay dearly if you stay with him.

tanbaby
tanbaby 12/25/13 - 08:07 am
true, when he (the boyfriend)

true, when he (the boyfriend) ends up beating the you know what out of this girl, then she is gonna want her "daddy" to fix it for her.....we as parents didn't make it this far in life for no reason....i will protect mine (all boys) till the end if necessary....

KSL
KSL 12/25/13 - 11:58 am
If she is still living at

If she is still living at home, she plays by my rules.

KSL
KSL 12/25/13 - 12:01 pm
If she is still living at

If she is still living at home, she plays by my rules.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/25/13 - 05:01 pm
Well, from the tone of the

Well, from the tone of the girl's comment here, I can tell what kind of problems they've had at home and with her decision. Sounds like 2 hard-headed and strong-willed people butting heads! Daddy is trying to make his little girl learn from his experiences and she thinks she smarter than him...and she probably thinks he's the dumbest thing walking! Sadly, it'll probably take years of a troubled life before she learns where her problems started.