Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Mini Operation Thunder nets 21 DUI arrests

Monday, Dec. 16, 2013 2:23 PM
Last updated 7:24 PM

Operation Thunder returned last weekend as more than 20 people were charged with driving under the influence.

The operation, aimed at cracking down on issues leading to crashes and fatalities, was conducted for three months this year but returns periodically for shorter stints.

The mini operation on Friday and Saturday was conducted by the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office, the Governor’s Office of Highway Safety and the Georgia State Patrol at several locations throughout the county. Officers conducted road checks on Friday that resulted in 16 DUI arrests and 29 child safety seat citations for failure to properly restrain children.

On Saturday, officers were deployed to watch for traffic violations. They made five DUI arrests and a number of traffic warnings and citations.

Police said the operation has helped lead to fewer traffic fatalities than in previous years. This year, 23 people have died from traffic-related incidents. During the same period last year, 37 people had died.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/16/13 - 02:41 pm
Pure conjecture

"Police said the operation has led to fewer traffic fatalites than previous years."
Maybe there are fewer older, less safe cars on the road this year?

Maybe people are drinking less coffee, or are more calm behind the wheel because they are having more sex?

Maybe more people are staying closer to home because of new restaurants, etc. closer by?

Are you sure this doesn't have anything to do with it? :

"The number of traffic fatalities has gone up annually in recent years, so they are restructuring the Traffic Safety Division to keep more officers on the streets and in the most dangerous areas."

David Parker
David Parker 12/16/13 - 03:21 pm
x2 IAD

x2 IAD

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/16/13 - 03:31 pm
Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc Fallacy

Exactly, IAD. Just because A occurs after B, that does not necessarily mean that B caused A.

specsta
specsta 12/16/13 - 08:40 pm
Still In Violation of SCOTUS Ruling

Well, Augusta is still in violation of the 1990 Supreme Court ruling that said that checkpoints had to be publicized BEFORE the checkpoints were set up, so that drivers had the option to avoid them.

Checkpoints are legal, yes, but they MUST follow certain parameters laid out by the Supreme Court ruling. One of those parameters is notifying the media of the exact dates, times and locations of the checkpoints so that information can be disseminated to the public.

I'm surprised that no one has filed a lawsuit against the city about this yet.

Also from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: "To obtain maximum benefit in terms of its general deterrent effect, sobriety checkpoints should be publicized aggressively. Most drivers will probably never encounter a sobriety checkpoint, but will only learn of it through media reports or by word of mouth. These two valuable forms of public communication will greatly enhance any such program and should be employed consistently."

Unfortunately, Augustans must rely on Facebook and word-of-mouth to be afforded the protections of the Supreme Court ruling.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/16/13 - 04:52 pm
Specsta, the cops view the

Specsta, the cops view the constitution of this country as a pesky document that tries to prevent them from doing what they want to do. I am also surprised that no attorney across this entire state hasn't challenged the newspaper notification issue. I'm guessing that lawyers make more money from DUI clients than they do from constitutional challenges. In California, DUI road blocks (time/location) are clearly announced in the newspapers.
The police do that in order to remind everyone to be safe, do the right thing (ie don't drink and drive). The police in GA care NOTHING about you doing the right thing and staying safe. The want to put you in jail. The county wants your $$$. The lawyers want their attorney's fees.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/13 - 05:22 pm
Yep, ditto to every single

Yep, ditto to every single comment.

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/16/13 - 06:53 pm
Ditto from me too on all of the comments!

Roundtree, Lamkin and all of their cowboys have proven nothing by bragging about their insignificant DUI arrests and they are certainly violating the law with their tactics. There's no proof that any of their illegal activity has prevented anything.

If I happened upon one of their parties the only thing I would do is present my driver's license and proof of insurance and ask "am I free to go." No answers to any questions! See ya!

Don't get me wrong, DUI is against the law and you won't ever catch me doing it but their tactics are Gestopo style: Show me your papers!

happychimer
19396
happychimer 12/16/13 - 08:40 pm
I would like to see all

I would like to see all drunks off the roads. Get'em Roundtree!

specsta
specsta 12/16/13 - 08:48 pm
What Seems To Be The Problem, Officer?

It would be very interesting to see what would happen if a lawsuit were filed to declare each ticket given during Operation Rolling Thunder as illegal, per the SCOTUS ruling.

Yes, get drunk drivers off the road but not at the expense of our civil liberties. The police need to operate within Constitutional law. ALL THE TIME.

Other states comply with the ruling and post times/locations in the media for DUI checkpoints. Why not GA and Richmond County?

happychimer
19396
happychimer 12/16/13 - 09:18 pm
specsta try telling that to

specsta try telling that to someone who has lost a child or other loved ones because of a drunk driver who knew not to drink and drive.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 12/16/13 - 09:36 pm
I see 2 posters want drunks

I see 2 posters want drunks on the road. I got 2 thumbs down for wanting all drunks off the road. If you lose a loved one because of a drunk's stupidity, you will sing a different tune. I know someone who lost his daughter and sister to a drunk driver. same wreck. I know someone whose husband and his nephew both died in the same wreck caused by a drunk driver. The nephew left triplet baby girls and a wife.One of the babies had birth defects. Anybody who drinks and drives is just plain ignorant.

specsta
specsta 12/16/13 - 09:36 pm
@happychimer

What part of my statement "yes, get drunk drivers off the road" would lead you to believe I am not concerned about DUI's?

I have been hit by drunk drivers. Even once while my child was strapped in the child seat in the back of my vehicle. I hate the whole idea of a person drinking and driving. But I also hate the concept of a police state that infringes upon my privacy rights in the name of "safety".

Catch drunk drivers but do it within the realm of Constitutional law.

happychimer
19396
happychimer 12/16/13 - 09:38 pm
I really don't care how drunk

I really don't care how drunk drivers are caught. They all should be off the roads.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/16/13 - 10:21 pm
Prove a negative

specsta posted:

Can specsta prove that Richmond County Sheriff Department did not notify the media? It's kind of tough to do that.

Did the Supreme Court specify just how many minutes of air time is sufficient to be constitutional? How many column inches? How many radio stations were sufficient? Did TV stations have to be included? It all seems so arbitrary.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/16/13 - 10:49 pm
I am going to go way out on a

I am going to go way out on a limb here and say I am totally against drunk/impaired driving. But the cops should be enforcing the laws by BEING OUT AND PATROLLING THE ROADS! Not by setting up nazi style checkpoints. In fact, studies have shown that patrolling is more effective than road blocks. When will Richmond County start going door to door with the dogs, checking for drugs?

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/17/13 - 01:48 am
I'm glad they are getting the

I'm glad they are getting the folks who are too stupid to restrain their kids properly. How about NY City Stop and Frisk as a violation of constitutional rights. Police have been setting up road blocks near bars for decades-its fruitful and easy pickings.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/17/13 - 05:20 am
It's All About the Constitution

No commenter is approving of drunk driving. What most are pointing out is roadblocks infringe on our rights.

If you search 100 houses at random at midnight you may find evidence of serious law breaking in one or two houses. But is the infringement on the constitutional right of those residents against unreasonable search justified? Are people to live in fear of police entering their houses at midnight? As the Chronicle warned us the other day in an editorial, we have to be vigilant to protect our Constitution from attacks of all kinds.

I'm also firmly against the Stop and Frisk law used in New York City mainly against blacks. About 684,000 people were randomly stopped in 2011 and frisked. Freedom loving people of all persuasions have to demand our rights be honored.

KSL
KSL 12/17/13 - 07:45 am
Right, RM

It's just that simple.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 12/17/13 - 09:28 am
Reminds me of "stop and

Reminds me of "stop and frisk."
Someone said it well, "If you go on a Witch Hunt, you will likely find a Witch."

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/17/13 - 10:27 am
Some people just have that

Some people just have that "well if it saves just one______it is worth it..."

REALLY? What other rights are you willing to give up to suit your emotional, illogical thinking?

As RM illustrated, we could round up a BUNCH of law breakers by neighbor sweeps of homes; do you want that? I'm sure it could save a few lives, as an occasional violent criminal would get swept up into the pile, along with minor offenders.

myfather15
myfather15 12/17/13 - 02:10 pm
My guess is, some people

My guess is, some people would change their negative comments, if they could prove, without any doubt, that one of these checkpoints caught the DUI driver that was about to slam into their love ones vehicle, killing all on board.

But, that is the problem with law enforcement; there is no absolute way to tallie just how many lives we've saved, but you never know whats GOING to happen, when you stop it before it happens.

Several years back, right here in the CSRA, a man was caught in a checkpoint and arrested for DUI. An inventory of his vehicle was done and inside was an SKS rifle and two handsguns, along with a list of names. Subject later admitted the list was people he was about to go kill, THAT DAY!! Family members whom he was having a inheritance disagreement with.

Any clue how many of these types incidents are stopped, that we DON'T know about?