Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man charged with serious injury by motor vehicle after hitting boy boarding bus

Thursday, Dec. 12, 2013 5:04 PM
Last updated 8:40 PM

The man whose van hit an 8-year-old boy as he walked to a school bus Monday morning is now being charged with a felony count of serious injury by motor vehicle, Richmond County authorities said Thursday.

Scott William Hancock, 20, of Augusta, struck Jaidyn Williams with a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country minivan as the boy walked across westbound lanes of the 3800 Block of Belair Road to board a bus headed for Sue Reynolds Elementary School. The bus arms, stop sign and flashing lights were working at the time of the accident, but conditions were foggy, according to police and witnesses.

Jaidyn, a fourth-grader at the school, was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center, where he remains in critical condition on life support, said Richmond County sheriff’s Sgt. Shane McDaniel.

Hancock is currently being held at the Richmond County jail. He is also charged with failure to stop for a school bus while loading and unloading as well as with reckless driving.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/12/13 - 05:58 pm
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/12/13 - 06:26 pm
Nobody

Can realize what both family are going through at this moment. God hear my prayers.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 12/12/13 - 06:56 pm
Bad thing all round.

Now, parents, teach your childen about crossing the road. School, society, and the police can not do it all for you. Had this young man known to look before he crossed all would be well. Lets all work to prevent this from happening again. All the stop signs, blinking lights and cross walk markings can not replace the human mind armed with eyes and knowledge. Do not let this tragidy go to waste by continuing to turn children loose in the street without training. I know, many will rage against me for this harsh post, but what do you hate more, me or a child run down? Our roads are the domain of motorized vehicles, not pedistrains, bicycles, golf carts or children, the law of physics can not be overturned by anyone here on earth, live with that!

fishman960
fishman960 12/12/13 - 07:27 pm
Laws

I Pray this child recovers fully.
Let me state that anyone that has visited or lived in the great state of New Hampshire knows that you stop for anyone in the crosswalk.
Having said that, my reason is that if you know the law there then you are trained to look out for people automatically. Regardless if they are in a crosswalk or crossing the street to board a school bus.
People are trained to stop for pedestrians there, unlike here in Georgia.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/12/13 - 10:59 pm
Fishman960, we all want this

Fishman960, we all want this child to recover. But it is probably not going to happen. My thoughts today is not only for the child but for the driver as well. We cannot know his suffering. Hang in there, buddy.

thauch12
thauch12 12/13/13 - 01:06 am
Amen

They can throw all the charges they want at this guy but it is not going to save young Jaidyn's life...

There are no winners in this story, but I don't really understand the reasoning behind throwing the book at Mr. Hancock, especially when there is nothing to prove drugs, alcohol, or even texting played a role in any of this.

studmuffin1533
studmuffin1533 12/13/13 - 06:39 am
No winners is right.

Wasn't it last year some guy in a pickup didn't even slow down for a stopped school bus and killed a little boy crossing the road? I recall it was out of Augusta, like Thompson. The driver wasn't even charged.
I see folks going around cars rightfully stopped for school buses on Wrightsboro road every day. I would love to see a motorcycle cop follow a school bus and pounce on these 6 point infractions.

bigdog19812002
bigdog19812002 12/13/13 - 02:26 pm
Concerned

@oldredneckman96 I know there isn't a lot of information given to the media as of yet and I know you don't know anyone in the childs family. I know this because I'm his uncle and have no clue as to who you are. Regarding educating the kids on crossing roads and the roads being the domain for vehicles, I couldn't agree with you more. Every child should be educated on road crossing.
On the same hand, drivers should be educated as well. Personally I think of children when I see those lights and a big YELLOW school bus. I'm not sure if you think of your 6 pack when you see that or what, but I believe your view is slightly twisted.
I'm not going to provide any information other than what has already been released, but let me ask you this. "WHAT IF IT WAS YOUR CHILD THAT WAS HIT?"
What if you were the driver? What if you were the child? What if you were the bus driver or one of the children on the bus?
At this time, there is no finger pointing happening with my family, rather prayers and support of my loving nephew. The Richmond County Sheriffs Department is handling the law aspect.
Have you even thought of why this driver wouldn't stop for the bus? Have you not read the reports that he was charged with FAILURE TO YIELD. Do you understand what that means? If not send me your address and I'll be sure to send you an dictionary.
This post is meant to be harsh, towards you and anyone else that feels my 8 year old nephew is at fault here.
In closing I'd just like to add that those of you who are sending your prayers and thoughts, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.

carolouk
carolouk 12/13/13 - 03:51 pm
Poor little guy

That little child should not be crossing a road like that. That is rediculous. It is not the child or parents who are at fault here. I am also not defending the driver although I have to say that it is all well and good to have flashing lights and stop signs but when there are brake lights and traffic, it can be hard to notice. I am a pretty cautious driver but have almost passed a stopped bus on a number of occasions when I am on a multi-lane rd.

There should be NO STOPS on multi-lane roads. In other places they have enough sense to have bus stops on the side streets. People can miss things even when they are watching what they are doing. We are conditioned to pay attention to what is in OUR lane, not as much as what is in the lane next to us. I am sad for both groups.

happychimer
19504
happychimer 12/13/13 - 07:32 pm
bigdog my thoughts and

bigdog my thoughts and prayers are with your nephew and his family. The driver of that van gets no sympathy from me. I do feel for his family, because they have to be suffering. I want to hear and read that your nephew is getting well.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 12/14/13 - 05:43 pm
Bigdog, it is never a child’s

Bigdog, it is never a child’s “fault” they are the only truly innocent people in this sad story. We agree that someone should teach children about roads and traffic long before being turned loose near one. Ok, who should that be? Yes, drivers should be educated on what to do around a school bus, that is why we have laws about this and that is why this young driver is in big trouble, but did any of that stop the tragedy? No. There are a million reasons why the van did not stop, some might be beyond the control of anyone. What we have to understand is, yes it could be my child! That is why I wrote the first post. So what can we do about this? We can teach our children. We will lobby to our lawmakers to have stricter guidelines as to who we allow access to a drivers license, real inspections of vehicles and better design of roads. Schools can do a better job of where and when children will be picked up and dropped off. Last, please note again, I have never laid the blame on the child, I have only addressed things that only parents can do. The finger points straight at us. Problem is Bigdog, next week, there will be a different headline and this will all be over for everyone but your family. Use your passion to make a real change on our dieways.