Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teacher charged with beating husband's mistress

Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013 5:16 PM
Last updated 8:19 PM

A longtime Columbia County art teacher will not face workplace discipline after a recent arrest in connection with an attack on a woman she said was her husband’s mistress.

Caroline Olivia Brooks  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Caroline Olivia Brooks

Caroline Olivia Brooks, 34, teaches art at Lakeside High School. She was charged early Saturday with criminal trespass and simple battery.

“The nature of the arrest, being a domestic dispute at this point, should not affect her continued employment with the school system,” Superintendent Sandra Carraway said Monday.

An Evans woman called authorities after 4 a.m. Saturday and said the wife of the 36-year-old man she was sleeping with had come into her home and attacked her.

The 29-year-old woman said she was sleeping with Brooks’ husband in her bedroom when she heard the back door open. She said Brooks entered the bedroom and hit her repeatedly.

Brooks’ husband told deputies the same story.

Brooks and her father refused to make statements to police. She was arrested and taken to the Columbia County Detention Center. She was released after posting a $3,200 bond, according to jailers.

Brooks, a 1997 Lakeside graduate, spent seven years teaching art at Greenbrier High School before returning to her alma mater in 2010.

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 01:52 pm
It's a rare thing, but I can't agree with most on here.

I don't believe this woman was a hero at all. From what I understand, she knew this affair had been going on before, but thought it had stopped and was lied too.

Now, I heard Austin say on the radio that he has further details this afternoon and we will see just what they are.

But I don't feel she is a hero, because you NEVER go to someone elses house and assault them at THEIR home!! Although there is some sympathy for her situation, I have none in regards to the criminal charges. She has NO RIGHT to walk into someone elses house and then assault them, period. Her anger should be right where it belongs, with her HUSBAND!!

He is the one married to her, not the other woman!! He is the one took the vows, not the other woman!! Yes, knowing the man is married, the other woman is morally bankrupt; but that does NOT excuse assault upon her in her own home!! Anywhere in the world a person should feel secure, it should be in their home!! No matter WHO is in there with them.

I speak from experience in dealing with these situations AND from personal experience as well. I had the exact same thing happen to me 13 years ago. My GF didn't come home from work on time. To make this short, I found her at a VERY good friend of mines house. I saw her car in his driveway and knocked on the door. He answered the door and I asked if she was there and he hung his head and said yes. I walked past him and found her in his bed. I gave the two of them the worst CURSING they had ever had!! I then walked out and didn't put my hands on either of them. She was no longer a GF and he was no longer a friend and he still isn't to this day. I do NOT surround myself with people I can't trust!! As a matter of fact, I stay completely away from people like that. I find you'll have far less problems in life if you stay away from people like that.

I had a golden rule in the Marines and now in law enforcement. Fellow Marines and Deputies wives or GF's are OFF LIMITS, period!! No excuses!!

So sorry folks, but I believe she handled this completely wrong!! They were morally wrong but she took it past that level. You don't go to another persons home and assault them; there is no valid reason for it, period. If she had came to my home trying to assault me, she would have left by ambulance. I protect my home, period!!

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/13 - 01:54 pm
Vann...

I have already flagged your post...better be careful.

...and THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is example # 456,675 of why anonymous posting is a bad idea.

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 02:04 pm
Vann

Why would you put her name out there like that??? To endanger her life like that!!

Maybe this woman is a tramp, or maybe not. But if it weren't for all those MARRIED MEN, being WILLING to sleep with her, she couldn't sleep with married men, right? Or does that even matter!!

Put the blame where it belongs!! She NEVER took a VOW to the Teacher, the teachers husband did and violated that VOW!!! The blame lies with HIM!! Yes, there is blame on the mistress, because she violated a FRIENDSHIP. So stop being friends with her!!

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/13 - 01:59 pm
MyFather...

I made a post last night about Paul Kersey and Harry Callahan. They were the two main characters in the "Death Wish" and "Dirty Harry" movies.

What they did in those movies was highly illegal...it was also awesome, and pretty cool. Happens that way sometimes...

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 02:00 pm
Austin

So the mistress violated a very good friendship with the wife and slept with her husband, then lied about it!!

Do you honestly believe that makes it ok to go into her house and ASSAULT her?

Maybe she should have divorce her husband and quit being friends with this tramp!! Wouldn't that be a better alternative?

In 17 years of law enforcement, I've learned that a HOME is a sanctuary!! No one should be able to come to YOUR home and do ANYTHING to you!! Not even if your spouse is in there with them, that doesn't give you the right to force yourself in their home and assault them. We have a case of a cheating husband and a cheating FRIEND, and somehow it's acceptable for her to enter the mistresses home and assault her. WOW!!

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 02:03 pm
Austin

Just watched Dirty Harry last night, for the first time believe it or not. I had seen bit's and pieces, but never sat threw the entire movie until last night. What Callahan did WAS pretty awesome, I agree. But you're talking about a sniper shooting people and killing kids. This was CHEATING. You don't violate someones home because YOUR husband is cheating on you.

I've never seen Death Wish, sorry.

ColumbiaCoGuy
ColumbiaCoGuy 12/12/13 - 02:07 pm
Totally agree with myfather15

Under no realm of reality does the story of the friendship matter. Would you say she deserves the charges against her if he was sleeping with a complete stranger? The only friendship the matters in Austin's argument is his friendship with Mrs Brooks. That's why he's trying to play her out as the innocent victim. The mistress's history gives no excuse for entering her home to assault her.

KSL
122043
KSL 12/12/13 - 02:09 pm
Just who in authority said it

Just who in authority said it was OK? She WAS arrested.

ColumbiaCoGuy
ColumbiaCoGuy 12/12/13 - 02:11 pm
myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 02:14 pm
KSL

No one is authority said it was ok, but many commentors and Austin seem to believe what the teacher did was fine. I have to disagree; not morally, but criminally? Absolutely!!

Once again, you don't go to someone elses house and start trouble or assault them!! If she had found them in HER house, in her bed; well then game on sister!! LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!! I would hand the teacher an AWARD!! But that's not what happened, she went to the mistresses house. That's a problem.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/13 - 02:20 pm
I guess since she had been in that house so many times....

...and maybe had a key (LOL)...that she thought she could do it...

Maybe that was it? Couldn't swear to it...

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/13 - 02:23 pm
The movie reference...

Dirty Harry bent the rules all the time about all kinda stuff...not just snipers. But he did it in the interest of doing the right thing...

In Death Wish, Paul Kersey walked the mean streets hoping to be targeted by thugs...when he was...he would shoot them in the face. (his wife and daughter had been raped/murdered by home invaders)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/13 - 02:26 pm
Agree With Myfather

Myfather is correct and I'm the other voice saying we should slow down. As Myfather can probably describe better than I can, consider the danger if the deputies had arrived after getting a call about someone in the house and the woman and her father were still there? Anyone else think the father was probably armed waiting in the car on his daughter? A horrendous outcome could have taken place.

As I keep saying, the more attempts to blackmail this other woman into dropping the charges by calling her names, etc. is going to backfire. She is going to be so angered she is not going to back down. It would be best to let the parties involved quietly work it out, maybe with lawyers. The court can also handle it quietly. She'll get First Offender status if it goes to court. But make no mistake, that was a dangerous incident to all involved, including law enforcement. They could have been put in a tough place.

SoConfused
SoConfused 12/12/13 - 02:31 pm
If she had a key...

Why would she need to enter through the back door? What did she expect to find inside the house when her husband's car was outside the house at 4am? Does she really need to enter the house to put 2 and 2 together? Still not buying your innocence argument, AR. Also agree that I'm not sure how the history of the friendship could excuse entering someone else's home and assaulting them, regardless of how many times you've been there. If it was my BROTHER'S house, and he was sleeping with my wife, I wouldn't open the door at 4am, uninvited, because I could be greeted with the barrel of a gun.

KSL
122043
KSL 12/12/13 - 02:31 pm
I doubt that you would find

I doubt that you would find many posters saying what she did was criminally all right.

SoConfused
SoConfused 12/12/13 - 02:34 pm
I don't think

I don't think it's morally alright to drive to someone's home and enter it uninvited to assault them either, but I guess that's just me.

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 02:38 pm
Austin

As someone who has worked the streets for many years, I LOVE seeing people defend themselves and the bad guy LOSE!!!

Like I said, I've never seen "Death Wish" but from what you describe, it sounds like a good movie, similar to "Law abiding citizen" which I liked a lot.

I hate to keep saying the same thing over and over, but when you go to someone elses house and cause problems, that's where it's different.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/13 - 02:39 pm
Back to the Dirty Harry analogy...

...LEGAL ? No.

Right...meaning "understandable"? YEP.

There is a LOT that is legal, that ain't right. And there is a LOT that is right, but ain't legal.

ColumbiaCoGuy...welcome to the comments section...I see you just joined. My friendship...affection...and respect for Ms. Brooks has been well established. Now...who are you, and how do you know the people involved.

ColumbiaCoGuy
ColumbiaCoGuy 12/12/13 - 02:43 pm
It's Augusta

Isn't everyone in this town separated by like, two degrees of separation?

ridesbrd
ridesbrd 12/12/13 - 03:20 pm
not worth it, leave him

not worth it, leave him

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/13 - 02:51 pm
When I was in the Army we had

When I was in the Army we had a similar code of not messing with the wives of soldiers. Now that could get kind of tough in the Dragon Club at Ft. Bragg when the units were gone and the some wives were there at closing time, but the guys I knew stuck to it.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/12/13 - 02:56 pm
AR 12:50

Now that's funny!

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 02:57 pm
I don't know if a couple

I don't know if a couple misdemeanors should be enough to get her fired, not sure what I would do about that. I'll leave that up to the school board.

I'm just saying the charges seem to be justified and righteous. Austin is right to a extent, some things are illegal that are right and some are legal that are wrong. But going into someones home and assaulting them in their home isn't right under ANY circumstance. Like I said, I've dealt with similar situations in my professional and personal life. This was a terrible decision to enter her home. A person MUST feel and actually BE safe in their home, no matter who they are with. There were other ways to handle this situation.

If the mistress decided to drop the charges, I would support her. If she decides to go through with them, I would support that as well. But I'm just a commentor on the AC, so it really doesn't make a flip what I support.

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/12/13 - 02:58 pm
Mrs. Brooks....

I would ALMOST go so far as to say, "once a cheater, always a cheater", because there's sometimes ONE that doesn't. But 99% of the time, it's not the first time, and certainly won't be the last. Once you take them back, they see it as "they'll always take me back". My advice to you, as one of many here it seems, is to kick him to the curb while you're still young. He's not worth it, nor you.

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 03:06 pm
But it does appear that most

But it does appear that most of the focus is on the mistress and wife, especially from Vann.

The husband seems to be getting off pretty easy!! I've said many times that if my wife cheats, my anger will be kindle towards HER. She is an attractive woman and I know MANY men would be willing to "sleep" with her. But THEY wouldn't be violating a VOW that was given between she and I.

If it was a friend of mine, he would be a former friend of mine, but I wouldn't beat him up!! If was someone I don't know, that's that. But SHE would be the one catching my resentment, not them!! This husband is the main violator!! He should be catching the people's criticism more than anyone! But, most people just write if off as "that's what men do".

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/13 - 03:09 pm
"According to both the Brooks

"According to both the Brooks sisters pages they are working it out and are going to stay together."

I think Myfather said this would happen up the thread.

KSL
122043
KSL 12/12/13 - 03:11 pm
And who is Bo Golden.

And who is Bo Golden.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/12/13 - 03:17 pm
Her thoughts

Kick [filtered word], don't kick [filtered word]. Dad, drive me... I agree, it could have been very, very ugly. This wife needs to regroup without him. Says Lilly the shrink hahaha - I saw you Herschel

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 12/12/13 - 04:09 pm
Golden rule - Bro Code

So....hands off of fellow soldier's or buddy's wives / girlfriends...but the wives/girlfriends of all other guys are up for grabs? Is that how it works? heh heh

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/12/13 - 04:36 pm
HIGH FIVE CAROLINE!!!!

Austin, you asked earlier.... "Now...what would YOU have done?"

...If I had the misfortune to find them...I would have done exactly what she did PLUS the husband.

My hope is she will divorce him...once a cheater always a cheater!