Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teacher charged with beating husband's mistress

Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013 5:16 PM
Last updated 8:19 PM

A longtime Columbia County art teacher will not face workplace discipline after a recent arrest in connection with an attack on a woman she said was her husband’s mistress.

Caroline Olivia Brooks  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Caroline Olivia Brooks

Caroline Olivia Brooks, 34, teaches art at Lakeside High School. She was charged early Saturday with criminal trespass and simple battery.

“The nature of the arrest, being a domestic dispute at this point, should not affect her continued employment with the school system,” Superintendent Sandra Carraway said Monday.

An Evans woman called authorities after 4 a.m. Saturday and said the wife of the 36-year-old man she was sleeping with had come into her home and attacked her.

The 29-year-old woman said she was sleeping with Brooks’ husband in her bedroom when she heard the back door open. She said Brooks entered the bedroom and hit her repeatedly.

Brooks’ husband told deputies the same story.

Brooks and her father refused to make statements to police. She was arrested and taken to the Columbia County Detention Center. She was released after posting a $3,200 bond, according to jailers.

Brooks, a 1997 Lakeside graduate, spent seven years teaching art at Greenbrier High School before returning to her alma mater in 2010.

Graymare
Graymare 12/12/13 - 07:17 am
Carcraft, there is no

Carcraft, there is no alienation of affection law in GA. Otherwise, I would have sued my ex's girlfriend. It would have been fun if she took the tv show "Cheaters" with her, pounded on the door and woke them up on camera.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/12/13 - 07:26 am
alienation of affection law in GA

I know this happened to someone I know....many years ago...in GA..my friend (female) was told by her lawyer to just tell the truth,....if you slept with him, say so....she did, & the jury believed her, & she married the man later & stayed together almost 30 years...so, she wasn't found guilty of anything at the trial either...

I say...set them free..if they want to go.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 12/12/13 - 07:33 am
PRIDE

Pride would have kept me from acting like Mrs. Brooks, I know what is like to be cheated on, it hurts and believe me I would have loved to have done what Mrs. Brooks did. Her marriage had to be in trouble and maybe she chose to ignore the signs. It is a common reaction for the spouse and the other willing partner to ignore their involvement and I would have taken steps to reveal them but with a lot more class than she used. As far as her being allowed to still be in the classroom I have mixed feelings. With her in the state of mind she displayed and all the media involved I do not want to see her loose her job but I do think a period of time for this situation to be settled with her emotions is needed. She will be a distraction to the students since this has not been a situation that has been highly discussed by media. I hope the outcome for this will be resolved in a civil manner.

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 07:34 am
Some comments must have been removed

Because I don't get the "Get a room" comment about Austin and River!! I just came onto this, this morning and I don't see anything comments between them.

myfather15
myfather15 12/12/13 - 07:37 am
I would be willing to bet a crisp $100 bill that

Husband and wife will be back together within a month, probably less. He is already backpedalling, saying "We deserved it"; trying to take some blame (which he should). He will sweet talk the wife and she will take him back eventually when emotions settle down. Then he will probably do the same thing to her later.

I'm just guessing, but I would say it's a pretty educated guess after 17 years of dealing with similar issues.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/12/13 - 07:50 am
51-1-17. Rights of action for adultery, alienation of affections

O.C.G.A. 51-1-17 (2010)
51-1-17. Rights of action for adultery, alienation of affections, and criminal conversation HAVE BEEN ABOLISHED IN GA.

Adultery, alienation of affections, or criminal conversation with a wife or husband shall not give a right of action to the person's spouse. Rights of action for adultery, alienation of affections, or criminal conversation are abolished.

Seems maybe the Politico's in the Gold Dome, got to thinking about being sued themselves and Abolished the Law in 2010.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/12/13 - 07:53 am

That is good to know....:)

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/12/13 - 08:05 am
If the AC is going to list any names,

then the AC should list the names of ALL parties concerned in this type of case.

I feel it is a valid question.

raul
raul 12/12/13 - 08:25 am
@myfather. I think we came

@myfather. I think we came late for the party. The previous "discussion" between Austin and Riverman is no longer available for our purview.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/12/13 - 08:25 am
A MOUTHFULL from Riverman

"Austin, if there is one thing I know is the etiquette of the Chronicle boards"

Bouncing on & off these boards will teach you a few tricks....haha

gerryv53
gerryv53 12/12/13 - 08:32 am
Reminds me of a line in that

Reminds me of a line in that cute little country song...
"I dont look good in orange and I hate stripes"

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/12/13 - 08:55 am
Dang Austin..

You have heard..

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/12/13 - 09:10 am
Me Thinks

The incidents should read more like this....

Ms. Caroline Olivia Brooks cuts off husband penis, tells the unharmed mistress "He's all yours Now and Leaves"

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/12/13 - 09:15 am
That hurts cgee

Just reading that hurts...

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/12/13 - 09:23 am
Leave it to CG

to get to the ROOT of the Problem and solve it in a few words.

SouthAugustan
SouthAugustan 12/12/13 - 09:26 am
You go girl!!!

You go girl!!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/12/13 - 10:04 am
Triangles

When Truth Matters made his comment about the story having three sides, it reminded me of this song by Bobby Bare:

The Game of Triangles

getitright84
getitright84 12/12/13 - 10:04 am
The fact that she reached a

The fact that she reached a stopping point in the brawl speaks volumes. I commend her for having the self restraint to not do irreversible damage. Kudos to Mrs. Brooks!

harley_52
harley_52 12/12/13 - 10:07 am
Sure Seems To Me....

...like the overwhelming majority of ill will seems to be directed at the "paramour" in this affair. That's pretty unusual.

I'm not defending her, just observing that in almost all cases it's the man who gets almost all of the blame in these kinds of situations.

The aggrieved woman who chose to take matters into her own hands is the hero, for sure, but her husband is at least as guilty as his gregarious lover who seems to be the object of most of the scorn.

I'll bet his life is pretty miserable right now......

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 12/12/13 - 10:15 am
Animal House

I thought it was "don't get mad, get even"... either way it takes a cooler head to devise a plan to truly come out ahead. Hard to do when you're looking at proof positive that there's some hanky panky going on.

They say revenge is a dish better served cold. I would have started out by putting some Icy Hot in his jockey shorts...that dish would have started out cold...then FLAME ON!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/12/13 - 10:19 am
No one is answering the BIG

No one is answering the BIG question:
Was she wearing a pair of adult diapers?

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/12/13 - 10:26 am
HIGH FIVE

You GO girl. Same thing happened to me. You have no idea how much I wanted to beat the crap out of both of them. They broke up 2 families. But they really did me a favor. They deserve each other, she was LUCKY to have me, and realizes it now. Karma. Ain't it wonderful? When I realized what I was trying to hold on to, it finally came to me what I had...not much.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 12/12/13 - 10:32 am
Glad I'm Not The Only One

@Red Headed Step Child - I'm glad you said what you said, since when I read the original post, I thought the same thing. Also, good line from "Wrath of Khan". And to Mrs. Brooks - hopefully your ex-friend will think twice, and drop the charges. If not, I pray that I will be on the jury. Please get some counseling, to help you cope. My thoughts are with you.

harley_52
harley_52 12/12/13 - 10:38 am
I Think It's Also A Little Odd....

...for the teacher's father to be driving her around in the middle of the night, helping her find her cheating husband, and then standing back as she kicks the door in and starts kicking a little .....um....er... tail.

She could have been shot coming in the door, or inside the house.

When will the movie come out?

carcraft
carcraft 12/12/13 - 10:44 am
I just threw the alienation

I just threw the alienation of affection in, the point being, to make the husband PAY, Revenge is making them pay YOU for their fun time, and pay and pay!

David Parker
David Parker 12/12/13 - 11:02 am
3 cigarettes in an ashtray

I think most folks would react uncharacteristically, given the circumstances. I know for myself, if anyone shows that much disrespect toward me, they will receive something back 10-fold. Let the lady go back to teaching and hopefully this will die off soon. She can focus on her profession and that in and of itself may be better than any reconciliation efforts with dude. Carry on.

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/12/13 - 01:24 pm
If the assailant had been a MALE teacher...

...he would still be in jail and would have been fired by the school district. There IS a double standard in these matters! Unfortunately.

========================

Quote of the day: "The chains of matrimony are so heavy that it takes two to carry them, sometimes three." -- Alexandre Dumas, fils.

harley_52
harley_52 12/12/13 - 01:10 pm
I Didn't Think This Sort Of Thing...

...happened in Columbia County.

Or, if it did, it wasn't publicized.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 12/12/13 - 01:38 pm
No, It Happens In Columbia County

Thankfully, it did not play out really badly this time, but sometimes the tables get turned around. Like, the "girlfriend" decides that she wants hubby for herself, and gets her 'impressionable' Son to beat to death, the wife of her lover...Yeah, that one made the papers.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/13 - 01:50 pm
The depth of the friendship...

...between the mistress and the wife is a very important part of this story.

The wife confronted both the husband and mistress less than 24 hours before she caught them doing the deed. They both denied her suspicions, and pooh-poohed her concerns.

As I have stated numerous times in the thread (sadly, some have been removed because the AC is sensitive about the details of the case)...the entire story must be told if the teacher is going to attempt to defend herself in court. If no case is pressed...it all stops here...if not...the rest of the very ugly story gets shared, and trust me, once you hear it, you are gonna wanna put the teacher's face on money.

For the mistress? She would likely want to move.

To Siberia.