Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teacher charged with beating husband's mistress

Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013 5:16 PM
Last updated 8:19 PM

A longtime Columbia County art teacher will not face workplace discipline after a recent arrest in connection with an attack on a woman she said was her husband’s mistress.

Caroline Olivia Brooks  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Caroline Olivia Brooks

Caroline Olivia Brooks, 34, teaches art at Lakeside High School. She was charged early Saturday with criminal trespass and simple battery.

“The nature of the arrest, being a domestic dispute at this point, should not affect her continued employment with the school system,” Superintendent Sandra Carraway said Monday.

An Evans woman called authorities after 4 a.m. Saturday and said the wife of the 36-year-old man she was sleeping with had come into her home and attacked her.

The 29-year-old woman said she was sleeping with Brooks’ husband in her bedroom when she heard the back door open. She said Brooks entered the bedroom and hit her repeatedly.

Brooks’ husband told deputies the same story.

Brooks and her father refused to make statements to police. She was arrested and taken to the Columbia County Detention Center. She was released after posting a $3,200 bond, according to jailers.

Brooks, a 1997 Lakeside graduate, spent seven years teaching art at Greenbrier High School before returning to her alma mater in 2010.

carcraft
carcraft 12/11/13 - 07:45 pm
I live my life following a

I live my life following a great model from Animal House the movies " Don't get even, get ahead ". If he is living with the women sue her for alienation of affection. Divorce his rear end and wring every penny you can out of him etc. Now he looks somewhat like a guy married to a bit of a nut!

fedex227
fedex227 12/11/13 - 07:50 pm
Coolest art teacher ever.

Way to go Mrs. B.

mllange
mllange 12/11/13 - 08:04 pm
My Hero!

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" or something like that!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 12/11/13 - 08:56 pm
"I know there are always 2

"I know there are always 2 sides to every story....."

Sometimes there are three sides. His side, her side (in this case they seem to agree), and the TRUTH may be in the middle.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/13 - 09:02 pm
Question

Was the husband separated from the wife and living with this woman? If so that puts a whole other light on entering the house at 4 AM.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/11/13 - 09:08 pm
1) just have her lawyer make

1) just have her lawyer make sure that the jury consists of 12 women.
2) can we please see a picture of the mistress?

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/11/13 - 09:34 pm
Teacher "taught" a lesson.

Teacher "taught" a lesson.

triscuit
triscuit 12/11/13 - 09:40 pm
She shouldn't have stopped

She shouldn't have stopped with the mistress and whooped up on the husband too.

TCB22
TCB22 12/11/13 - 09:49 pm
What a bum!

I understand this teacher suspected an affair between her husband and this woman, who was her "friend." I hope that you walk away from the both of them. Neither one of them deserves you. Choose to be happy and turn your back and walk away. You WILL find a great love. I know. I was where you are once upon a time.

KSL
KSL 12/11/13 - 09:50 pm
triscuit

Good.

KSL
KSL 12/11/13 - 10:00 pm
puppy

Your post was hard to interpret. Teacher taught a lesson. Active or passive? See how important correct grammar is?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/11/13 - 10:10 pm
Have an ignorant

Have an ignorant question...Aren't the names of both sides made available for public knowledge once someone is charged with something? If so, can't some smart person who knows how to find hootchy-momma's name put it on here? Just wondering. Got a friend who needs a date this weekend.

Oh, nevermind...he ain't married, so she's probably not interested.

KSL
KSL 12/11/13 - 10:11 pm
Austin

Geeze. Once again you are announcing your knowledge of inside information you can not yet speak of.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/11/13 - 10:26 pm
A jerk and home breaker that got off lightly.

She could have come in with a pistol, capped both, and called 911 crying and then plead Temporary insanity.

If I was on the jury, I would have believed her, given the circumstances.

Austin....

You said the HD has history doing this type of thing.
Think of the community service you would be doing the Wives and dumb jocks with the release of a name. In a few days...

griff6035
griff6035 12/11/13 - 11:22 pm
Comments

What is this, the Austin Rhodes and River Man lets get down an dirty show.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 12/11/13 - 11:35 pm
River, I believe we ALL know

River, I believe we ALL know my husbands name & rank & it is NOT officer. It is SERGEANT Shane McDaniel. Goodnight River. Have fun.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 12/12/13 - 12:13 am
Get a room

You two get a room

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/13 - 12:17 am
Sean...he started it...

I have told you before...I am not going to back down from that man. Never will.

SoConfused
SoConfused 12/12/13 - 12:19 am
Not quite

The term would be "Not Guilty" by temporary insanity because, let's face it, no one is innocent in this story. And I would disagree with the temporary insanity because this doesn't sound like a momentary lapse of judgement. Walk in your home, find your spouse in your bed with someone else? Crime of passion, temporary insanity, whatever. Maybe. But to make the decision to travel to the woman's house, leave the car, enter the house through the back door? Those are calculated decisions. Everyone is wrong here. But I think Mrs Brooks crossed a line and decisions come with consequences. I don't think the woman should drop the charges. And I think it's awfully low for you to try to threaten her by saying you'll release her name and other terrible deeds she's commuted unless she drops the charges.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/13 - 12:21 am
Not "threatening her"...

...simply saying that the rest of the story will need to be told if she moves forward with charges.

Past is prologue in this story, big time. The woman has a track record that directly relates to the "attack", and I believe comes close to justifying it, if not, at least clearly explaining it.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/12/13 - 12:25 am
"Calculated actions"...?

...good point. I think it is logical to go looking for your spouse when he is missing. I think it is logical that if a good friend has denied being the paramour of said husband, a drive by is not out of order.

What you do when you find them together...? If she had been thinking, she would not have done a thing. This is a very bright woman...if she had wanted to hurt two people (including a grown, strong man) why would she have gone in unarmed?

No...she snapped. I applaud her for retreating quickly, and without any real physical injury to the cheaters. Now...what would YOU have done?

SoConfused
SoConfused 12/12/13 - 12:26 am
What I really don't understand...

Is why isn't anyone throwing daggers at the husband? Why does our society want to blame the other woman? He made the decision to go to bed with her. He was the one away from his home and his wife asleep in another woman's bed. If anyone needed battering it's him! That's why I don't get this story and this mentality. Drive to the house, see his car, drive home and have all his crap in the driveway for him when he comes home. Or to what used to be his home.

dwb619
dwb619 12/12/13 - 12:43 am
woman scorned

We once had a neighbor who finally had enough of her husbands extended absences. She told him over the phone, "come get all your stuff, it's in your boat in the carport."
He told me that he thought the boat looked "odd" when he he backed up to it. Sure was, SHE had piled all his "stuff" in the boat, including the garden hose.
Only problem, she had filled the boat completely with water first!
HELL HATH NO FURY......

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/12/13 - 01:35 am
carcraft, you can not sue for

carcraft, you can not sue for Alienation of Affection in Georgia. I checked into it. There were at least two people I would have named. Instead, I acquainted them with each other. That took care of those two anyway.

paladin5
paladin5 12/12/13 - 03:21 am
RELATIONSHIP RULE.....

I have a Rule for Relationships: If a Relationship is a Daily Struggle to Maintain, then it is Time for the Relationship to End....When the People with Badges have to be involved with your Personal Life and Relationships, then Some Serious Problem Solving needs to be Done....Anger, Vengeance, Violence and Hate may provide a Temporary Moment of Emotional Satisfaction, but the Problem will not be Solved. Only more misery or consequences that could affect your life will occur.....Have seen Enough to Understand the Hurt, but Never Understood How Violence in the Name of Love ever did anyone any good. See a Lawyer and Move On.

KSL
KSL 12/12/13 - 03:21 am
What conditions or genetics,

What conditions or genetics, or a combo of both, does it take to make a person a narcissist?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/13 - 05:21 am
Etiquette of the Chronicle Boards

Austin, if there is one thing I know is the etiquette of the Chronicle boards. You came on calling the woman names and disparaging her character. When I called you out on it, you began to make it personal with me. All that stuff you threw at me was so out of line, and, frankly, totally inappropriate comments for the Chronicle. I’m glad they were all removed, including mine responding to you. You keep saying you will release derogatory information about her unless she drops the charges. What does that sound like?

Understand, I have an idea the teacher is a nice, intelligent and sensitive woman. I don't want to see her get in trouble even though that was a serious crime. But no one knows what goes on in marriages. You heard one side. I'd bet the husband had as much to do with this as the woman. You don't know that she seduced him as you said.

Maybe you had to jump in for entertainment, business reasons, but you are not helping the teacher get out of this. You are angering the other woman big time and she won't back down. I tried to tell you early in the comments you were going about this wrong.

dickworth1
dickworth1 12/12/13 - 05:22 am
Teacher is correct

The teacher's action I feel is correct, get rid of your lying, cheating husband
and move on with your life, this is most likely not his first affair nor his last.
Columbia county should drop the charges and clear this lady's name, maybe give her a medal for her actions!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/12/13 - 05:25 am
High five to KSM.

High five to KSM.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/12/13 - 07:00 am
#1

We know this will stay on #1 of most discussed today..

Many sides to a breakup--too many to name.