Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Hotel investigates jewelry theft

Monday, Dec. 2, 2013 2:12 PM
Last updated 8:05 PM

The Augusta Marriott at the Convention Center has opened an internal investigation into its housekeeping staff after a guest reported Sunday that a maid had entered her room and stolen more than $3,000 worth of jewelry, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

The guest, a 20-year-old Augusta woman who stayed one night at the 10th Street hotel, told Richmond County sheriff’s deputies that she notified security of the theft on checkout about 11 a.m. Saturday, according to the report. Hotel manager Matt Ricker said, however, that the woman didn’t notify anyone at the Marriott until after she had returned home.

Ricker said the hotel is cooperating with the sheriff’s office, and will continue its internal investigation.

The next morning, about 8:30, according to the report, a maid knocked on the door and entered the room. The guest told police that the maid stayed five minutes.

Ricker said the maids perform housekeeping duties each day about 9 a.m. The maid in question didn’t knock on the room’s door until 9:58 a.m., he said.

The jewelry includes a $1,000 diamond ring, $1,125 of matching topaz earrings and bracelet, a $450 pearl necklace, a $400 gold bracelet and a $200 gold pearl ring, according to the report.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/13 - 02:37 pm
Lots of Jewelry

When I was 20 years old I had a Timex watch that I had to keep in my pocket because the band was broken.

triscuit
triscuit 12/02/13 - 03:46 pm
I was just thinking the same

I was just thinking the same thing, Riverman...what is a 20-year old doing with all that jewelry and staying at a SUITE in the Marriott?? Oh well, I'll think positive that she is a hard worker and has a good job, or a generous daddy.

Pops
Pops 12/02/13 - 07:06 pm
I really

don't believe the story.......

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/02/13 - 07:38 pm
Well...

...some lucky lady is going to have a Merry Christmas. But from this story we can't tell which one it is.

happychimer
19392
happychimer 12/02/13 - 08:54 pm
Something does not sound

Something does not sound right about this story.

bdouglas
bdouglas 12/02/13 - 10:41 pm
Anybody here ever gotten

Anybody here ever gotten married in the last 10 years or so? I know plenty of folks whose friends/parents/grandparents book them a suite at the Marriott or other local upscale hotel when they get married and their honeymoon flight or whatever doesn't leave til the next day. Not uncommon at all. And a woman who just had her wedding would have plenty of jewelry....something borrowed something BLUE (topaz...)? Let's not jump to conclusions here.

triscuit
triscuit 12/02/13 - 11:35 pm
A woman who just got married

A woman who just got married would probably have had a husband with her.

geecheeriverman
geecheeriverman 12/03/13 - 04:40 am
receipts

Bet she cant furnish a receipt if asked.

TruckChix
TruckChix 12/03/13 - 06:00 am
What idiot would leave all that in the room?

I've no doubt the hotel had a safety deposit box available at the front desk if not in the room....but really? Leave valuables in your hotel room? Unless you're the ONLY one with the ability to enter the room.... take no chances.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/13 - 07:44 am
This reminds me of something

I'm not saying this is the same deal ...it just triggered something in my memory...

Many years ago a certain "lady" from N Augusta area was staying in the Hotel in Disneyworld....she was attacked & assaulted & sued the Hotel.....it turned out that there was a plan for her brother to beat her &make it look real.....the plan fell apart & cameras helped the investigators......I'm sure the cameras will do it again.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/03/13 - 07:49 am
Not jumping to a conclusion

But this is odd.

My wife can tell me were every piece of her jewelry is?
When we travel she brings her wedding band and engagement ring
a few pair of ear rings and necklaces'. When not worn they are locked up.

The point is What Women with jewelry does not check what she has before checking out of a hotel?

This will go 1 of 2 ways:
1.) A Hotel Thief,
2.) or an Insurance Loss Scam,

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/03/13 - 08:10 am
Seenit, to be more specific,

Seenit, to be more specific, they were from Murphy Village.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/13 - 08:20 am
River

I know....just trying to CMA!!!

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 12/03/13 - 08:29 am
I Smell

I smell something that stinketh much.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/03/13 - 09:08 am
RM - what would be funny

If both the Maid and the Guest was from Murphy Village.

Then their Klan law would take over.

David Parker
David Parker 12/03/13 - 09:47 am
If she was from Murphy, she

If she was from Murphy, she wouldn't just be getting married at 22. Just an observation though.

bdouglas
bdouglas 12/03/13 - 10:04 am
@Triscuit It never said she

@Triscuit It never said she was alone in her stay. It never said she wasn't either. Just enough information to leave a bunch of holes, as usual.

The conjecture doesn't matter anyway, as we'll never get an update on it. Same as ever. Grab the page views with a headline, half the details, never an update.

Georgialina
Georgialina 12/03/13 - 11:43 pm
I have to call BS

---The guest told deputies that the last time she saw her jewelry was shortly after midnight when she returned to her third-floor suite to remove her jewelry and place it into a personal jewelry case.---

Just a thought but maybe her "client" took it when he left in the middle of the night after their "business" transaction.

I am with Nocnoc, my wife knows every piece of jewelry she has when we travel and you can bet she will know BEFORE we leave if a single piece is missing. We would not have to wait until we got home to notify the police or the hotel.

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/04/13 - 10:57 am
I am checking into this hotel next week

with $1,000,000 in cash which I am going to leave unsecured in the room and will be calling the front desk as soon as the maid leaves.
Or the hotel could just pay me compensation in advance.
Whatever.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/04/13 - 07:31 pm
Not trying to blame the victim

But the guest, "a 20-year-old Augusta woman", was she from AUGUSTA, CSRA, Murphy Village where?

Just wondering ????

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...