Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Couple steals wallet from Wal-mart shopping cart

Friday, Nov. 22, 2013 4:00 PM
Last updated 7:05 PM

Police are seeking a man and a woman who took a wallet from a Wal-mart shopping cart earlier this month.

Back | Next
Police say this couple stole a wallet from a shopping cart at Wal-mart on Deans Bridge Road on Nov. 10.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

About 5 p.m. Nov. 10, an unknown black man and black woman approaching the Wal-mart at 3209 Deans Bridge Road, according to a statement from the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.

As the couple walked to the store’s garden center, the man pulled out a cart containing a wallet that was left behind by a customer. The male pushed the cart back to his car, a maroon sedan, and the woman followed him, according to the statement. The couple then left the scene.

The man was last seen wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt with dark pants, and the woman was last seen in a dark jacket with an orange shirt and light-colored jeans.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office at (706) 821-1080 or Inv. Michael Lanham at (706) 821-1451.

Pops
Pops 11/22/13 - 09:29 pm
How can you steal

from a shopping cart.....finders keepers.....I personally would try and find the owner but I fail to see how you can charge a crime to people who have not been raised with the same values as I was......

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/13 - 07:18 am
Sure there's a moral question

Sure there's a moral question here, but I'd say if they turned the wallet in now, they haven't broken the law. I remember another case of property being found and it took the person a long time to turn it in and only after being identified via video.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/13 - 08:13 am
Just mail the thing in

Maybe they will read this & do the right thing...maybe.

just an opinion
just an opinion 11/23/13 - 09:49 am
They are thieves

"Finders Keepers" ? Really? What sort of moral compass is that pops? Also it seems like the "hoodie" is always part of the dress.

teaparty
teaparty 11/23/13 - 11:01 am
"Also it seems like the

"Also it seems like the "hoodie" is always part of the dress."
It seems like black is almost always part of picture

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 11/23/13 - 12:21 pm
It's not just the Deans

It's not just the Deans Bridge Road location, my son left an important personal item in a cart at the Evans location, went back to get it and it was gone. Not even any money or credit cards in it.

I once got $20 cash back at a Kroger and forgot to grab the $20 out of the self checkout dispenser. Went back into the store when I realized my mistake and, of course, no twenty. I would have turned it in had I found it, but then again, I'm from an old generation that was raised differently.

A friend was shopping at a Kroger, going through the self check out, and discovered that his checkout was dispensing twenties instead of ones in change. A clerk had mistakenly loaded the twenties into the ones slot when reloading the machine. My friend notified the manager of the problem and didn't take advantage of the mistake.

What bothered him were the people who had used that same check out and hadn't said anything to the store. That's just sad.

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/23/13 - 01:41 pm
Honest and dishonest people!

There have always been examples of both in society. These two fit into the dishonest category the rest of us who fit the honest category would not be able to sleep if we did something as underhanded as this!

teaparty
teaparty 11/23/13 - 03:07 pm
There are some honest people

There are some honest people left in this country. I laid my wallet on a trash can while getting gas at quick shop in Aiken and forgot it. I realized I had left it about 3 miles up the road. When I returned about 10 minutes later it was gone. I went inside and the clerk said a young lady had turn it in. The clerk did not know her name so I did not get to thank her.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 11/23/13 - 03:31 pm
Taking things

Taking things that do not belong to you, whether unattended or not is stealing. If it's not yours and noone gave it to you....why do you touch it. We just had this in my home when my 5 yr old got money for his store at school. I'd been giving him a dollar each day this week. We got to school and I had no money in my wallet. My 32 yr old found it under the couch cushion (I find this out much later). She asked my son if it was his, he said, NO it must be mom's. She said...oh I'll just take this then instead of asking you to borrow it (to her brother). Later on the 5 yr old was searching under the cushion and my son asked him what he was looking for. He said, he was looking for a ten dollar bill and a one dollar bill. Hmmmm....exactly what was missing from my wallet. I got home and had a long serious conversation about why stealing was wrong and that it would affect him as an adult if he thought that continuing to do this was alright. Later, my son tells me (not in front of 5 yr old) that my daughter "borrowed" it. Really, she didn't ask me or tell me. This morning when she crawled up at about lunch time...I told her we needed to reitterate a lesson about "stealing" things to the 5 yr old and why it was wrong. Let's just say when I used her as an example to her little brother...it was NOT received well by her and she flew off the handle. I reminded her that she was certainly not setting an example for her little brother. It got real ugly and my last words were....stealing is stealing....it's not borrowing if you haven't asked. He was on restriction and punished for something she did with the same $11.00. She hasn't come out of her room or spoken the rest of the day to any of us. With any luck she has the $11.00 and will sneak out the window and see if she can afford the Salvation Army and eat for a couple days. She's 32 and won't fit through the window so chances are....I didn't seem to get my point across to her when she was growing up. Please, NO ADVICE...got enough of that. She has to get this on her own the hard way.