Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Blythe woman says man hit her in road rage incident

A Blythe woman told police a man hit her and her boyfriend after he became angry at her driving.

Jennifer Henning confronted Larry Stensrud, of Augusta, because he yelled obscenities at her for proceeding slowly at the four-way stop at Wheeler and Aumond roads Tuesday, according to a Richmond County incident report. When she saw Stensrud buying pine straw a few minutes later, Henning stopped and got out of her Jeep, followed by her boyfriend, Joseph Mulherin III.

Mulherin told police Stensrud hit him with a flat metal bar. The deputy observed a very small abrasion, according to the report.

A witness, Richard Allen, told the deputy that Henning pushed Stensrud, then Stensrud slapped her face. The witness said Mulherin punched Stensrud several times.

When the deputy contacted Stensrud by phone Wednesday, he said Henning had cut him off at a stoplight on Wheeler Road at Highland Avenue then sat at the four-way stop to prevent him from going anywhere.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/30/13 - 10:15 pm
Childish morons

Don't we have enough discord in this world without folks getting into a fight over the expediency at a four way stop -

tanbaby
tanbaby 10/31/13 - 03:10 am
why did she stop to confront

why did she stop to confront him???? foolish girl, she and her boyfriend both could have ended up dead over too slow through a 4 way??? what is this world coming to????

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/31/13 - 03:40 am
I'm not sure I'd told any of

I'm not sure I'd told any of this.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/31/13 - 05:27 am
Road Rage

Unfortunately this is occurring all to often! Eventually someone is going to get shot or killed because of this. Some people think they own the road and want to regulate everyone else on the road. Commom courtesy on the roadways has gone the way of the do do bird and continues to get worse. When you read the entire article the picture becomes clearer. She cut him off, probably unintentionally, he gestured that she was number 1, so she stopped in the roadway at a stop sign for an extended time which exacerbated the situation. They both then drove off and a short time later she saw him buying pinestraw and went to him and confronted him. At this point she was totally in the wrong.

just an opinion
just an opinion 10/31/13 - 06:03 am
GnipGnop
GnipGnop 10/31/13 - 06:32 am
for all you smart respectable drivers out there....

I don't care if someone cuts you off, gives you the finger or yells obscenities at you.....if you follow them somewhere and get out and confront them you then become the aggressor. If you follow me and confront me it may be the last choice you make. I will not let someone walk up on me in anger because I do not know you nor what you are capable of. The best thing to do is stay away from them, kill them with kindness and go about your merry way. Someone cutting you off or giving you the bird is not worth your life....

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 10/31/13 - 06:36 am
GG,

The person who did the cutting off and holding up traffic at the stop sign is the one who went after the person they held up. Reread the article. Too many people are doing this and think it's funny! It's against the law.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/31/13 - 08:00 am
"If you follow me and

"If you follow me and confront me it may be the last choice you make."

You got that right GnipGnop.

JRC2024
JRC2024 10/31/13 - 08:16 am
Both were childish and the

Both were childish and the comments about the last choice you may make are just as childish. People have disagreements all the time. Just walk away from someone like that unless they pull out a weapon.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/31/13 - 08:20 am
If she had stayed in her car

If she had stayed in her car and guy attacked her then she would have a case. Now because she got our and affronted this man she has no legal ground but is guilty of assault. He legally stood his ground as they "assaulted" him. They will likely both end up in jail for stopping.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/31/13 - 08:22 am
JR it's not childish to

JR it's not childish to defend yourself, and using lethal force is no laughing or childish matter. You obviously haven't had someone pull on a gun on you. I think its childish and naive to make such a statement.

David Parker
David Parker 10/31/13 - 08:32 am
I find nothing childish about

I find nothing childish about an adult's unwarranted aggression, quite the opposite. Contrary to belief or not, folks are crazy out there. I would find no fault in someone using their car as a peacemaker should they be threatened or cornered in a hazardous environment. If something was done improper to that degree in your opinion, call the police but don't step if you aren't prepared to sacrifice everything for it.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/31/13 - 08:32 am
Based on the

information presented, I'd say henning and mulherin III need their a---- kicked.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 10/31/13 - 08:33 am
Looks like it's time for

Looks like it's time for another beer summit...

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 10/31/13 - 08:49 am
Really?

Both were childish and the comments about the last choice you may make are just as childish. Maybe you would let some unknown person walk up to you after following you in their car...I hope your family has funeral insurance on you. Look around, road rage happens all the time and people follow people and attack them sometimes fatally. Call it childish if you want but at least I would be going home to my family instead of the funeral parlor....

June Todd
June Todd 10/31/13 - 09:10 am
Road Traffic

I do not wish to comment directly on the incident of road rage. Instead I want to express concern over the increasing number of times I am seeing people running red lights at busy intersections. I see this not only when people just miss lights, but even when they have plenty of time to stop.

allhans
allhans 10/31/13 - 10:29 am
I wonder how he finally got

I wonder how he finally got past her since he got to the pine straw location ahead of her.

burninater
burninater 10/31/13 - 11:05 am
"...if you follow them

"...if you follow them somewhere and get out and confront them you then become the aggressor."
-----
Well, as long as you aren't in Florida.

jimmymac
jimmymac 10/31/13 - 11:30 am
ROAD RAGE

It would appear that the woman involved caused the whole incident. If she would have just kept going nothing would have happened. She and her companion chose to stop get out and confront the true victim. She pushed him and when she did that it was game on. While I don't support hitting women they must not lay hands on a man either.

David Parker
David Parker 10/31/13 - 12:50 pm
If my loved ones were in the

If my loved ones were in the car, you wouldn't catch me without a pit maneuver or spike strips. You better hope it disables my car too cause it would be far from over.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/31/13 - 01:13 pm
Charges

The only logical thing for the deputy to do is charge all three with the exact same charges and let the judge sort it out.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/31/13 - 01:42 pm
Well, as long as you aren't in Florida.

Following and watching is not the same as following and confronting.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/31/13 - 02:25 pm
Ya'll need to be careful.

Ya'll need to be careful. Someone pulled a gun on my ex on Bobby Jones Hwy about 10 years back, pointing at us when our car was parallel with theirs. And things are worse now. This past Monday night I heard a gunshot at 7:10pm on or near Bobby Jones near Glenn Hills Drive bridge and heard another gunshot near Bobby Jones closer to Gordon Hwy (westbound driver probably).

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/31/13 - 02:31 pm
I believe you can confront someone,

but you sure as heck can't get in their face, hinder their movement or lay a hand on them. Then it's assault, at the least.

Of course, you always could be charged with disturbing the peace, even if it's only the dope you confront who makes a scene.

SB3
SB3 10/31/13 - 09:59 pm
"Well, as long as you aren't in Florida."

Good thing koolaid doesn't burn.

JRC2024
JRC2024 10/31/13 - 10:34 pm
Defend yourself-Sure. By

Defend yourself-Sure. By childish I mean spouting off how tough you are and what you would do. That type of talk is better left unsaid. The two kids were stupid to confront the man and if they got hit they deserved it. But not put their lights out if they did not pose any danger but big mouths.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.