Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man shot in Heckle Street holdup try

Meg Mirshak/ Staff
Deputies at the scene of Friday afternoon shooting
Friday, Oct. 25, 2013 2:21 PM
Last updated 7:46 PM

A 27-year-old man was shot during a holdup attempt this afternoon, and police are looking for his assailant.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

An unidentified black man approached the victim in the 1900 block of Heckle Street, tried to rob him and then pulled a gun, said Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Lewis Blanchard.

The robber shot the man in the left elbow and hit him over the head with the weapon, police said.

The victim was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center for treatment.

The robber was wearing a white hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/25/13 - 01:31 pm
Another one living the dream.

Another one living the dream. We have got to learn to shoot back.

corgimom
corgimom 10/25/13 - 01:37 pm
Why would you think that the

Why would you think that the injured man didn't have a gun, dichotomy? The truth is that the attacker always has the advantage, and by the time the victim understands what's happening, it's too late. Real life isn't like Gunsmoke, where the good guy pulls out his gun and shoots the bad guy.

David Parker
David Parker 10/25/13 - 01:40 pm
if they weren't carryin, they

if they weren't carryin, they shoulda been

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/25/13 - 02:40 pm
.corgi is right

the robber KNOWS what his next action will be, the victim is minding his own business. It will reach the point where one has to leave home gun in hand.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/25/13 - 02:52 pm
Truly Worried. It already is

Truly Worried. It already is at that point. Since about 2000, at least.

Pops
Pops 10/25/13 - 03:01 pm
I'm just glad

This didn't take place in the CBD.....

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/25/13 - 03:02 pm
I would normally wise crack about it being a BOB or a BOW

but this a serious matter, because the Robber is desperate enough to attack in broad daylight.

This wasn't some person out after mid-night doing who knows what.
This victim was robbed and shot in mid-DAY on a DOWNTOWN Augusta street.

But was about 150 yards from Richmond Academy on the edge of Harrisburg.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/25/13 - 03:16 pm
teaparty

I seriously doubt that he left a calling card with a photo with the victim.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/25/13 - 04:13 pm
You Are Partly Correct, corgimom

But...

He contains the same target area leaving as he did coming!

specsta
specsta 10/25/13 - 04:23 pm
This Might Be Harsh, But...

Anyone who feels that they need to rob another human being of their possessions, is just vile and wretched. Add in a gun and that robber sinks to the level of garbage on a trash heap. Worthless.

KSL
KSL 10/25/13 - 06:01 pm
pops

I bet countyman is too.

KSL
KSL 10/25/13 - 06:04 pm
nocnoc

Desperate, but thankfully not competent.

ragingbull
ragingbull 10/25/13 - 11:15 pm
The bossman made me do it.

The bossman made me do it. This is how it went down;" look, the boss is gonna be real mad if I don't make this look good, so I am gonna shoot you in the elbow and then hit you over the head, and then I am gonna run like hell. This hoodie looks like it is white, and I'm wearing jeans, got it?

deestafford
deestafford 10/26/13 - 07:52 am
Always be aware of your surroundings.

If you are the least leery, walk with your hand in your pocket with it on your pistol. You do have a Conceal Weapon Permit and gun, don't you? I do and will not hesitate to use it if threaten.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 10/26/13 - 08:10 am
Bottom feeders.

Bottom feeders.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/26/13 - 08:25 am
specsta

I agree 100% with your sentiment, but have to ask; isn't there a corollary here when you think about the government taking your money by force to give someone else who won't earn it?

JRC2024
JRC2024 10/26/13 - 08:55 am
Two streets over from my

Two streets over from my office and one block down. That is why we keep our doors locked. Section 8 has moved in and crime went way up.

bdouglas
bdouglas 10/26/13 - 01:57 pm
@nocnoc

I'm waiting for CM to come along and chastise you for calling that "downtown"...

ashleysgolf
ashleysgolf 10/27/13 - 02:20 am
NOT Downtown

I live on Hickman Road, just two streets away from this idiocracy. First of all, this is Not Downtown, it's the downslope of The Hill (Summerville) and, unfortunately, the further you go down, the further you "go down". I hate this, as I LOVE where I live and now reality has hit me in the face. The place where the hold-up occured is basically the grey area between Harrisburg and Summerville…some nice families and some with recliners in the front yard/on the porch. For a city so full of Beautiful History, the history of the downward slope still lives on. Pity. On a lighter note, I hope the victim is okay, physically & mentally.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen