Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

North Augusta High School student charged with making threat

A North Augusta High School student was arrested Wednesday after his teacher found suicidal and threatening messages written in his class journal.

Kyle Josep Becnel, 18, of Belvedere, S.C., was charged with making a bomb threat after his English teacher saw entries in his journal that stated he was annoyed daily by other students and thought of committing suicide and blowing up the school every day, according to a North Augusta Department of Public Safety incident report.

The concerned teacher called the guidance counselor who then notified North Augusta authorities about 12:15 p.m. Wednesday.

Officers searched Becnel but found him with no weapons or suspicious devices.

He was arrested at the school and booked at the Aiken County Detention Center, where he was released Thursday on $2,000 bond, according to jailers.

thauch12
thauch12 10/25/13 - 10:51 am
Ridiculous

The kid clearly needs some help and we all know he won't get it in jail. I hope he gets what he needs to get through these dark days.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 10/25/13 - 08:37 am
He Really Needs Help

He really needs help, outside of the jailhouse. I too, hope he gets the help that he needs.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/25/13 - 09:04 am
The young man has mental and depression issues

being tossed in Jail with who knows what is not going help.

It should have been a 96 hour commitment and eval.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/25/13 - 09:16 am
Oh, great. Another wonderful liberal game plan for children.

A kid gets constant harassment from the precious darling savages who go to the same school, it depresses him and causes him to feel trapped, isolated and desperate, and because, in the privacy of his own journal he tries to alert someone to his misery, he winds up in jail. Mind you, he wrote that he THINKS about it everyday just as he thinks about killing himself everyday, not that he actually is planning to do it.

Could public educators be more calloused and just plain stupid? These morons just validated the North Augusta High School bullies and their cruel tactics.

Way to go! Hope you're proud of yourselves. I'm sure this kid and his family really appreciate your caring concern and insight.

Idiots.

seenitB4
81912
seenitB4 10/25/13 - 09:25 am
Fiat

I was thinking the same thing ....yes, we have idiots all over the place.

David Parker
David Parker 10/25/13 - 09:32 am
could just be pining for

could just be pining for attention and wanted someone to see the journal. Could be serious. Trying to gauge what was really the intent through a newspaper article is suspect. Immediate jail seems like a knee-jerk reaction as well. Hope the kid grows from it and comes correct.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/25/13 - 09:40 am
More evidence of the rampant stupidity in public education

They had a good chance to help this boy and instead they chose to fall on their backs with their limbs in the air and dump him onto the justice system. If he does end up killing himself, which seems far more likely now because of these North Augusta High School hacks, his blood will be on their hands and their souls.

And, for a look at what REALLY matters to today's public educators,

What a great country!

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/25/13 - 10:10 am
I would encourage,

in fact it should be mandatory viewing, in 12 grade.
Idiocracy

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 10/25/13 - 10:57 am
Is there a back story here

Is there a back story here that I missed? With all due respect, being annoyed does not necessarily mean the same as being bullied. I am "annoyed" by a spouse who does not squeeze the tooth paste from the bottom up, or adults who use a public restroom and go to the salad bar without having washed their hands...
But these are not the same as being bullied.

I look forward to more info.

David Parker
David Parker 10/25/13 - 11:05 am
agreed on teh toothpaste

agreed on teh toothpaste Truth

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/25/13 - 11:05 am
Geez Louise!!!!

I thought about having sex with ****** ******* every day while in high school.

I thought of fifty different ways to eliminate her boyfriend in the process.

Did I ever give a single serious thought to acting on my fantasy? No.

Stunned 2
Stunned 2 10/25/13 - 12:37 pm
My Mom, a retired public school teacher, used to talk about

My Mom, a retired public school teacher used to talk about parents that complained that 'the teachers did not teach their kids manners'. All of you that are blaming the public school system take note: They are there to TEACH reading, writing, & arithmetic, etc. Parents should teach their children manners. Parents are responsible for their children. Parents should be involved with their children & their activities. It used to be manners...now, it's homicide kids from dysfunctional families and/or non-involved parents- Our Society has diminished, values have been lost. Put blame where it belongs!

Mudge
Mudge 10/25/13 - 12:57 pm
I am willing to bet that if

I am willing to bet that if all the school girls diaries and whatever boys keep them were confiscated we would see all kind of troubling thoughts written down. I agree that this is your typical knee jerk reaction. The young man needs help and look what he got instead. Great System...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/25/13 - 01:59 pm
Fiat_Lux, It Even Gets Better

"Public university teaches students how to perform anal sex, use ((()))"

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 10/25/13 - 02:49 pm
On the other hand, if this

On the other hand, if this student turned out to be violent and follow through on threats, the school system would have been criticized had they NOT reported it to the proper authorities. I'm more for an ounce of prevention. I don't know what the protocol is, but I would expect that if there is any type of perceived threat - written or otherwise - they need to take it seriously.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/25/13 - 02:54 pm
Journals

Our teachers did not make us write in journals and then turn in the journals to the teachers when I was in school.

Do the teachers tell the students that they should write whatever comes into their minds? Do they tell them the journals will be private? Do the teachers tell the children in advance that if they write something not politically correct that they can go to jail?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/25/13 - 03:53 pm
Well

I see someone likes this type of education being offered. I bet He/She is in the process of enrolling right now.

David Parker
David Parker 10/25/13 - 04:25 pm
public school system is day

public school system is day care so that both parents can work and cough up more taxes. There I said it. Now have a good weekend.

Darby
Darby 10/25/13 - 05:36 pm
"I thought about having sex with ****** *******

every day while in high school."

Really, I didn't find ****** all that attractive. To each his own, I guess.

Darby
Darby 10/25/13 - 05:40 pm
Zero tolerance is little more than an excuse

not to demonstrate or exercise even the smallest degree of leadership.

Why should they. No matter what the situation, all they need to do is pick up the phone and kick the problem over to someone else.

ksmith
ksmith 10/25/13 - 10:19 pm
North Augusta HIgh School Student makes threat

I want to know why parents were not notified about this? I understand the panic it could cause but at the same time we should be informed. I pray that this student will get the help that he obviously needs.