SC cop charged in restaurant assault

Friday, Oct. 11, 2013 7:52 AM
Last updated 7:32 PM

COLUMBIA — An off-duty Richland County sheriff’s deputy has been arrested for allegedly assaulting a woman at a Columbia restaurant.

Authorities say police on Monday arrested 49-year-old Deputy Allen Paul Derrick and charged him with assault. Police say Derrick got into a fight with a woman sitting at the bar, slammed her onto a metal table and tried to put her in handcuffs.

Investigators say several people at the restaurant recorded the fight on cellphone cameras.

Derrick is retired from the Columbia Fire Department and has worked for the sheriff’s department for 14 years. He is on unpaid suspension during the investigation.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/11/13 - 07:00 am
There seems to be more of those "few rotten apples" lately?

There seems to be more of those "few rotten apples" lately?

David Parker
David Parker 10/11/13 - 07:43 am
Paul Harvey

and now you wait ..... for the rest of the story. Good Day!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/11/13 - 08:50 am
Rest of story

All I can say is, he better have a good one....sitting at a bar & slamming her into a metal table....handcuffs??

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/11/13 - 09:31 am
I Can't Retire

Let me get this straight: Deputy Derrick is 49 years old. First he “retired” from the Columbia Fire Department, then he worked for the Richland County sheriff’s department for 14 years before this incident took place. That makes him 35 years old when he “retired.” Where can I get a deal like that? City governments must surely take care of their employees.

David Parker
David Parker 10/11/13 - 10:33 am
The fact they are giving him

The fact they are giving him paid-suspension suggests to me they have some reasoning for not firing him. Cell phone footage should clear a little up. We'll see.

Agreed LL, I'd settle with being able to retire at 65 and not have to sweat how to make ends meet.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/11/13 - 11:05 am
Okay, according to other

Okay, according to other reports....Derrick approached a female soldier from Fort Jackson who appeared to be upset. The report states the 23-year-old showed no interest in Derrick and the two started arguing.

Police say Derrick, who was not in uniform and was drinking alcohol, left the restaurant and returned with handcuffs he had retrieved from his vehicle.

Several people in the business recorded the incident as Derrick, according to the report, tried to handcuff the female soldier. Derrick overpowered the woman, handcuffed her, pulled her to her feet and slammed her head into a metal table, the report states.

The off-duty deputy held the soldier down until Columbia police arrived

Derrick told police that he had placed the woman under arrest.

Wondering, if the solider was being disorderly and this had occurred on the street or anywhere else, would this have been an issue? Most likely because alcohol was involved, this went too far.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/11/13 - 03:04 pm
As my

brother-in-law, a retired Superior Court judge, has told me on numerous occasions; "policemen are human and not always good people".

Darby
Darby 10/11/13 - 11:30 pm
Sorry,

misread the article....

myfather15
myfather15 10/12/13 - 06:35 am
David Parker

The article says UNPAID suspension.

myfather15
myfather15 10/12/13 - 06:49 am
It's pretty obvious that

It's pretty obvious that alcohol played a serious role in this incident; effecting his judgement. Even if this lady was acting disorderly; Deputy Derrick, having consumed alcohol, should NEVER have attempted to put handcuffs on her unless she was posing a immediate and serious threat to the public. He should have called 911 and waited for the on-duty deputies to respond and been a witness for them.

I don't like to critique other deputies or officer's, without knowing ALL the facts; because I know anything can happen and go wrong. So I usually don't do so unless something stinks badly and something stinks here!! Like I said, unless this woman had a weapon of some sort, was acting in a violent manor towards others; I can't see Deputy Derrick taking the actions he did. You don't do what he did, unless there is an immediate and serious danger to the public; especially not while consuming alcohol. If she was just cursing and acting disorderly, you allow her to continue until on-duty law enforcement arrive and handle the situation appropriately.

myfather15
myfather15 10/12/13 - 07:02 am
Ok; after further review I feel secure in saying;

THIS GUY IS AN IDIOT!!

Further reports state; "A police officer who reviewed cell phone video of the incident reports hearing Derrick say, "This is how Marines deal with soldiers," while slamming the woman into the table."

Now, after serving in the Marines, I have first hand knowledge that this IS the mentality of SOME overzealous jarheads!! So if he was a Marine, I can believe this comment was made. Some Marines did have the brainwashed mentality that they are better than ALL other branches of service. I, on the other hand, always respected EACH branch of the service and never talked badly about them or thought I was better, just because I was a Marine. Some did though.

It was also reported; "Police confiscated a loaded gun Derrick was carrying at the time of the incident, and his identification, badge, and bar receipt."

OMG!!! This is one of the dumbest things he could have done!! We are taught from the academy and our entire career, you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER carry a firearm into a bar or anywhere that serves alcohol!! Not to mention that HE was consuming alcohol as well, unbelieveable. If this was found to be true, I would immediately fire him for this violation alone!! This guy does not have the demeanor or reasoning to be a police officer.

Like I said; this incident STINKS!! My GUESS (opinion) would be that this guy has an alcohol problem!! He probably drinks too much and has no business having a badge!! He fully deserves to be fired and criminally prosecuted. I have to believe, if the on-duty officers made the decision to arrest him, then there was clear evidence to show he was the aggressor. His Sheriff appears to be backing him, and that is a shame as well. With all the errors in judgement he made, I don't see how anyone would take up for him.