Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman faces shoplifting charges in sex toy theft

Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013 11:58 AM
Last updated 7:27 PM

A Thomson woman is facing shoplifting charges after police said she tried to steal a sex toy from an Augusta store Monday.

Police were called to Lucy’s Love Shop, 3241 Washington Road, around 2:30 p.m. after a shopper attempted to leave the store with unpaid for merchandise.

The store’s manager told police she was alerted to the theft when the door alarm beeped as April Pigg attempted to leave. Pigg then pulled a $71 Jack Rabbit vibrator from her purse and returned it before leaving the store, according to the incident report.

Police stopped a vehicle matching the description and found the suspect in the passenger seat.

Pigg, 32, admitted she left the store with the merchandise to show to her sister, who had stayed in the car with a small child. Pigg said she intended to return the item later.

Pigg was taken to the Richmond County jail.

myfather15
myfather15 10/08/13 - 05:23 pm
Vendetta

Actually, yes you can and I'm sure MANY have done so successfully. The key is to be good enough to get away with it, without getting caught. But, if you aren't maybe you should try to STEAL anything, especially something that will embarass you. I feel ZERO sympathy for someone trying to steal non-nutrition items, period!! Because it's NOT needed and you are STEALING!! I can not stand theives, period!!

In my 16 years of LE, I've actually handled shoplifting calls where I felt sympathy for the offenders, because they were stealing FOOD; because they were hungry. When caught, they were actually relieved because they knew we would feed them at the jail. But, as I stated, I feel no sympathy for someone stealing a sex toy or TV, DVD player, etc.

You want to stay off the front page, DON'T STEAL!!! You want to stay out of the jail report, DON'T COMMIT CRIMES.

I once stopped a lady for failure to maintain her lane. The odor of burnt marijuana about knocked me down when I approached the vehicle. Of course, this gives me probably cause to search her vehicle, even without her permission. During the search, I came upon some of these similar items in a backpack and she had a BUNCH of them. I also found a bag of weed and she went to jail. Later, she made a formal written complaint about me and the other deputy going through her "personal items" in the bookbag.

Of course the complaint didn't go anywhere because we were legal in searching every part of the vehicle. Bottom line is; if she doesn't want the police searching her personal bags, maybe she should drive down the road smoking weed!! Maybe this person shouldn't STEAL!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/13 - 05:31 pm
Usually I feel the same myfather

BUT, for some reason I feel some sympathy for her....not only is she outed for stealing but also outted about this personal item...& there are times in life when some can't take the shame-guilt or whatever you want to call it & harm themselves....
Forgive me for giving her another chance in life.....nothing should be too great to overcome...I want her to realize THAT!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/13 - 05:53 pm
When you say this...

During the search, I came upon some of these similar items in a backpack and she had a BUNCH of them"

If the car had been packed full of them..that wasn't against the law..was it!!

(not about this lady btw)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/08/13 - 06:10 pm
B4

I have never seen you like this! Do you know this April?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/08/13 - 06:13 pm
Qustion To Ask.

Why would any Lady or women steal a vibrator?

SRD
SRD 10/08/13 - 06:21 pm
No News is Bad News

Seems to me that the reason the AC only has as such a juicy story to publish is because this is the only type of "bones" being thrown to the media lately. The new Sheriff in Town, Mr. Limo isn't sharing info and playing well with others.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/13 - 06:42 pm
A juicy story all right

Cgee...see me like what?

JUst like that woman in DC the other day.....most would say that wasn't the real woman....out of her mind that day....I don't like stealing either BUT I think this woman has been raked over the coals about this incident....you know how small Thomson is....I can tell you for sure I know someone who did something that was TOTALLY out of character for him...he spent time in jail & was thinking of killing himself...even tried to.....soo, yall say what you please, I'm not throwing stones..not today...goodnight gentlemen..

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 10/08/13 - 06:47 pm
Evidence

I hope the stolen evidence is properly handled at RCSD, Tree might have a lot of explaining to do if he or one of his friends misplaces it. Austin Rhodes could have a hell of show with this.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 10/08/13 - 06:48 pm
The winter nights are long ... Omg!

I was trying to think of something STIMULATING to say but I lost it. Lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/13 - 06:52 pm
Read your email cgee

JUst for you...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/08/13 - 06:56 pm
SOO KSM

Good to seeya gal....even if it is on a tawdry item..:)

bdouglas
bdouglas 10/08/13 - 07:27 pm
dwb619
dwb619 10/08/13 - 07:48 pm
CG 8:36

My thought also.

harley_52
harley_52 10/08/13 - 07:53 pm
People Shouldn't Have To....

....steal these things and get publicly embarrassed about it.

I don't see why the government doesn't provide them for people who need them.

Seems like this could make some folks a lot happier then a damned Obama phone.

Wait..maybe they could add a buzzer function to the Obamaphone and make everybody happy

KSL
KSL 10/08/13 - 08:42 pm
Probably

Just too embarrassed to go through checkout. Her story seems made up. She could have asked a clerk or the manager to take the item out to show the other woman. But no, she was delberately shoplifting. No sympathy from me.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/08/13 - 09:11 pm
Barakobrators

Harley posted:

I don't see why the government doesn't provide them for people who need them. Seems like this could make some folks a lot happier then a damned Obama phone.

That could be the item that breaks the government shutdown logjam during the upcoming negotiations!

rebellious
22027
rebellious 10/08/13 - 09:22 pm
Gotta be a Joke

that fits this article.

I'll start, ya'll produce the punch line.

#1) What did the pigg say to the Vibrator?

Or
#2) A Pigg and a Vibrator walk into a bar

Or
#3) A Pigg and a Jack Rabbit walk into a bar

Or) So I spot a Pigg with a Vibrator in her pocket, and I ask

This ought to be rich.

paladin5
paladin5 10/09/13 - 12:33 am
NEW LIMITS ON....

GEORGIA LAW HAS CHANGED ON MISDEMEANOR SHOP LIFTING.....She could have taken 21 similiar priced items and still had a Misdemeanor.

Jail Report would have posted her Photo any way....and probably wrote the story too.

TV offers a late-night shopping hour for those interested in seeing the "rabbit".

Once you go "beep" you are a suspect. However, beeps do occur even when you have paid...Experience at Walmart, Fred's, etc.

myfather15
myfather15 10/09/13 - 04:28 am
Seenitb4

Yes, people are having fun with the particular items she was concealing, of course. But in reality, I don't think people really care what it was she was stealing, just that she WAS stealing. Most people realize their are lots of people out here using such items and more power to them. She should not feel any embarassment for the item itself, but for stealing them, when they are certainly not needed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/09/13 - 07:28 am
I'm beginning to see why we lost the Civil War

There's not much fuzz on an apple
Very little hair on a grape
It's only the lack of a beard on a peach
That keeps it from bein' an ape.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/09/13 - 07:43 am
I can see why some would feel

I can see why some would feel sympathy for this needy lady.

But, chances are very, very, high, this is not the first time (nor 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.) she's shoplifted.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/09/13 - 07:54 am
At this point

people, I think we have had our fun and reached the climax of poking fun. Maybe it is time to move on?.

Surely the embarrassment we have bestowed with our comments is far more than any judge's punishment can inflect at this point.

maddog
maddog 10/09/13 - 09:24 am
Stealing

It doesn't matter if it was a vibrator or a piece of candy, when she put it in her purse without paying for it, it became stealing.

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/09/13 - 09:40 am
nocnoc

Too funny!

But in all seriousness, you probably forget (as I do many times), there's a growing segment of the population that are "embarrassed" by very little. Heck, there's a good chance her friends don't even read the paper!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/09/13 - 10:25 am
"If you can't do the time,

"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" comes to mind, but this kind of ridicule and public embarrassment is uncalled for. Where is the line between "news" and sensationalism at someone else's expense? It was published as a "Top Headline". REALLY?????? This is a backpage, below the fold story at best, with a photo being unnecessary.

I have no issue with her being prosecuted; it is pretty clear to me that she deliberately took the item; but the attention to a common shoplifting is way over the top.

harley_52
harley_52 10/09/13 - 10:41 am
It's A "Man Bites Dog"....

....kind of thing. The story really isn't that she shoplifted, it's what she shoplifted.

It's okay to disagree, but the story and photo are "news" because it's NOT something you see every day.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/09/13 - 12:37 pm
I have reached the point

where I am going to,

pull out,

and not get into it any further.

The Doc
The Doc 10/09/13 - 04:38 pm
Public shame

Please use some common sense and discretion when publishing stories like this! This woman will wear the scarlet letter from this incident for the rest of her life. Who's going to hire her once they google her name and see this? For all intents and purposes she may as well be a convicted felon on a sex offender registry. She's done. And for what? Think people! The punishment should fit the alleged offense. At this rate we are destroying lives and careers for minor infractions, while violent and repeat drug offenders get revolving door justice. There is something wrong with this picture. Our society is indeed desensitized and devolving. Heck, why don't we just put her in the stocks out on Washington Road and let anyone throw pies, rotten vegetables, or even excrement at her face. Let all the guilty souls transfer their guilt onto the chosen scapegoat of the day. Better yet just lynch her to death publicly! I bet there are some sick souls who would participate in that kind of mob mentality and go right along with it. If any of those type individuals are reading this, I pray you are never on the receiving end of this type of public humiliation and trial by media in which you are guilty until proven innocent! What would you do?

harley_52
harley_52 10/09/13 - 04:58 pm
Tell You What "The Doc"....

...If I ever get caught stealing a vibrator I'll be happy to let them publish my picture in the paper.

Fair enough?

ColCo
ColCo 10/10/13 - 05:03 am
It's Obama's fault!

My guess is that she's a furloughed government employee and was just looking for an inexpensive way to pass her free time.