Georgia lawmaker warns of 'Obamacare' navigator fraud potential

Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013 10:17 AM
Last updated 3:14 PM

By Walter C. Jones

ATLANTA — The chairman of a Senate committee examining fraud warned Wednesday that “Obamacare” navigators or people posing as them could make Georgians vulnerable to identity theft.

Sen. Judson Hill, R-Marietta, met with reporters before holding a hearing on fraud risks. He said he has heard reports that 200,000 people’s personal information was accidentally released in the first day of the Obamacare exchanges and that safeguards are not in place to screen the criminal backgrounds of legitimate navigators.

He warned against giving personal information to someone calling or visiting door-to-door claiming to be a navigator. Navigators are the people with state and federal training about private and public health insurance plans.

Although he opposes Obamacare, he said, he isn’t trying to alarm people to thwart its success.

“My motive is grave concern for all Georgians,” he said. “... We’re not here to pick on the federal exchanges.”

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 10/02/13 - 10:55 am
"Although he is an opponent

"Although he is an opponent of Obamacare, he said he isn’t trying to alarm people to thwart its success."
Why do I believe the first part of that quite more that the last?

LuvMyTown
1973
LuvMyTown 10/02/13 - 11:48 am
"heard reports"

Baloney.

KSL
120535
KSL 10/02/13 - 01:41 pm
Ever been a victim of

Ever been a victim of identity fraud, you two? I have. In the early 80's. Back then the theives were not so smart. The idiot tried to get foodstamps using my SS number. The finance director where I was working alerted me.

I called DSS and they protected the identity of the crook.

jack234
jack234 10/02/13 - 03:48 pm
A recent poll revealed that

A recent poll revealed that more people preferred the Affordable Health Care over Obama Care!!!! We report, you decide!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/02/13 - 06:46 pm
My wife

and I have been victims of identity fraud and we don't give our information to anyone. It's an easy task for fraud when there is limited security on credit cards, insurance cards and a new system (omamacare). Black folk have it the worst, to hear them tell it, cause they can't get no i.d. cards. Bet they can find some i.d. when they need to cash their checks at Wal-mart and other check-cashing facilities.