Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police say shooting suspect acted in self-defense

Monday, Sept. 23, 2013 8:21 PM
Last updated 10:20 PM

Police say that an Augusta teen who had been sought for questioning in a shooting Saturday acted in self-defense.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

After a “complete and thorough investigation,” Richmond County sheriff’s investigators determined that Anthony Hampton, 17, shot Willie Casey Jr., 47, who later died, Sgt. Shane McDaniel said.

Hampton, who cooperated with investigators, was found to have acted in self-defense, and no criminal charges will be filed.

Hampton’s mother, Michelle Hampton, who was being held for questioning, has also been released, according to a statement from the sheriff’s office.

About 3:20 a.m. Saturday, Richmond County sheriff’s deputies found Casey at an apartment in the 1700 block of Hicks Street, according to a statement from the sheriff’s office. Casey was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center, where he died.

countyman
19719
countyman 09/23/13 - 09:02 pm
Media

Too bad this won't receive the same amount of local attention compared to when the media was first reporting this to be 'murder'...

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/23/13 - 09:27 pm
Possession of a firearm by a

Possession of a firearm by a person under 18 is not a crime?

Darby
Darby 09/23/13 - 09:46 pm
Giants...

My thoughts exactly...

Something missing here???

itsanotherday1
42031
itsanotherday1 09/23/13 - 09:47 pm
Depends....

"Possession of a firearm by a person under 18 is not a crime?" People under 18 can own any type of weapon AFAIK; they just can't carry. 18 YO's on down own millions of hunting weapons. In this case, he may have defended himself with a weapon not his own, which would not be illegal.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/23/13 - 10:02 pm
Georgia 16-11-132: (b)

Georgia 16-11-132:
(b) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this part and except as otherwise provided in this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 years to possess or have under such person's control a handgun. A person convicted of a first violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not more than 12 months, or both. A person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and shall be punished by a fine of $5,000.00 or by imprisonment for a period of three years, or both.
HOWEVER, 16-3-21 is an exception because the kid was acting in self defense, so it looks like he is OK.

Pops
Pops 09/23/13 - 10:05 pm
I went back and read the original

article. It stated a man was dead after a shooting in an apartment. It never mentions the word murder.

Travis Highfield
Travis Highfield 09/23/13 - 10:36 pm
To be fair...

We didn't report this as a murder, but the initial statement from the Richmond County Sheriff's Office used the word "homicide."

Darby
Darby 09/24/13 - 01:16 am
".....the initial statement from the Richmond

County Sheriff's Office used the word "homicide."

Someone help me out here.....

Would not any untimely death of a person, not due to natural causes be labeled a homicide?

I'm really not sure...

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/24/13 - 04:58 am
Still called homicide

It's still called homicide. But it is justified in this case it appears. It would be interesting to hear the details of what happened, especially since the mother was locked up.

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/24/13 - 05:24 am
Homicide is one homi causing the death of another homi

Homicide is one homi causing the death of another homi

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/24/13 - 07:28 am
GAD

The Law States: it shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 years to possess or have under such person's control a handgun.

I want you to FB a personal friend of mine "Tori Nonaka (Top Gun Tori)" https://www.facebook.com/TopGunTori and view the many video's of her since the age of 3. She just turned 18 a month ago.

So according to the law she has been illegally in possession of a handgun almost all her life. That handgun she owns and made just for her by Glock, is over a grand. '
Her financial estate is maybe over a million dollars today.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/24/13 - 08:25 am
Laws can go bye bye

If I have to protect myself ...do you think a a law will be floating through my mind....let me see...I'm just 16 but someone is breaking in my house...shoulda --coulda--woulda gets killed...nahhh
I'm not talking about this case...just good ole common sense when in danger....anytime & anywhere.(not talking about my age either) heh

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/24/13 - 08:54 am
Laws don't stop illegal

Laws don't stop illegal immigration, we have a patch work of law regarding pot which the Attorney General always spoke out against a patch work of laws regarding immigration-duhhhh?, apparently laws don't mean much any more. Laws are made to be broken?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/24/13 - 09:17 am
I wonder why the left isn't

I wonder why the left isn't trying to crucify Hampton with the zeal that they went after Zimmerman.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/24/13 - 09:34 am
Where's Jesse and Al?

Where's Jesse and Al? Where's the President making statements about what his son would look like? Does this only apply when they can use it to further divide the races? Surly not....this President is a uniter......right?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/24/13 - 09:39 am
Cobalt George, The law makes

Cobalt George,
The law makes exemptions for those under 18:
If they are acting in self defense
If they are participating in approved competitions
If they are hunting and have a valid hunters license
So it seems that Tori is OK. As far a this kid- The apartment where the man was shot-was this the kid's home? The article doesn't say. It seems that if you are under 18 and are possessing a firearm away from your parents home, you are breaking the law UP UNTIL THE TIME YOU KILL SOMEONE IN SELF DEFENSE-then you are abiding by the law. The laws seem crazy sometimes.

itsanotherday1
42031
itsanotherday1 09/24/13 - 10:13 am
Which is what I said

"If they are on thier parents property and have their parents permission to possess"

when I said they can own but not carry; carry meaning leave your property with it.

And got 3 thumbs down for stating the facts. Idiots.

daphne3520
daphne3520 09/24/13 - 10:54 am
GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 09/24/13 - 11:00 am
Itsanotherday I didn't give

Itsanotherday I didn't give you a thumbs down. I think we are on the same page here. This kid could have very well been 100% legal. There just isn't enough info in the article to make that determination.

KSL
KSL 09/24/13 - 03:58 pm
And WE are not supposed to

And WE are not supposed to make that determination.

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/24/13 - 11:23 am
Handgun?

Maybe it was a long gun? Maybe I missed something! Glad it turned out the way it did.

nocnoc
nocnoc 09/24/13 - 01:32 pm
Law vs. Need

Giant
quotes the OCGA correctly regarding a 17 year old have a firearm?
That is illegal for an under age person to have either a pistol (21) or rifle / shotgun (18).

My question is:

WHY have the details of why it was justified not included in the story @ Monday, Sept. 23, 2013 8:21 PM Last updated 10:20 PM ?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/24/13 - 03:15 pm
Having a firearm illegally

Having a firearm illegally does not negate self defense.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/24/13 - 05:07 pm
HA @ 3:15

"Having a firearm illegally does not negate self defense"

If you and The NRA had your way, we would ALL "be carrying". Just had to say it!!

Have a good evening.

Darby
Darby 09/24/13 - 06:04 pm
"If you and The NRA had your way, we would

ALL "be carrying". Just had to say it!!"

Just trying to imagine some of (any of) the libs I know carrying concealed.

Reminds me of the one about the dog chasing a car. Wondering what he'd do with it if he caught it.

And no, bledsoe, I doubt the NRA would endorse liberals carrying. I know I certainly don't. That would just be far too dangerous.

To begin with, we'd no doubt have a rash of toes shot off. Not to mention all those fatalities from klutzes using the butt of a handgun to hammer nails.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/24/13 - 07:18 pm
How does

a 17 year old come by a weapon?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/24/13 - 07:46 pm
God Forbid

A LIBERAL WITH A HANGUN*****A LIBERAL WITH A HANDGUN*****A LIBERAL WITH A HANDGUN*******

Please wife, call 911, I think I'm having the BIG one....

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 09/24/13 - 08:42 pm
With respect to Harry

With respect to Harry Callahan... "I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself, but being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?

How's that for media attention?

KSL
KSL 09/24/13 - 09:12 pm
I am showing my lack of

I am showing my lack of experience. I have 3 revolvers. 1 shoots 6 rounds. The other 2, 5 each. Wearing ear protection and 2 of them beeing relatively new, how do you count accurately? Well, I know how to count, but........

KSL
KSL 09/24/13 - 09:14 pm
I don't mean my weapon. I

I don't mean my weapon. I mean how do you count theirs.

Accord tops list of stolen vehicles

The National Insurance Crime Bureau released its annual report on the 10 most stolen vehicles in the country earlier this month, and some residents say they aren't surprised with what they saw.